Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Dropbox privacy
  • Cougar

Seems Dropbox are in bother for misrepresenting their security.

If you use this service, I’d recommend you read this complaint to the FTC

maccruiskeen

Well, I work for MI6 and I always put all my top secret documents on Dropbox, along with all those candid photos of my hen night, and that special video of our honeymoon. I even put the draft of my letter to the CIA detailing the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden’s hideout on there, complete with credit card details for them the deposit my $25million dollar reward. I just need to spell check it and post it then I’m quids in. If I had any words of advice to Osama just now it would be ‘Don’t start reading any long books’

So far I’ve had no problem with confidential information being access, although my Credit Card has been emptied – thats prob because I clicked on a CRC ad once. Who cares, soon I’ll be rich. But now, no matter how many laptops I leave on the tube I can still get easy access to all my most treasured secrets,

viv
    Free Member

I really dont care if some album ( i didn’t pay for in the first place ) is not 100% secure on online storage.

samuri
    Free Member

I wouldn’t store anything important or sensitive in the cloud if I were you. At least unencrypted anyway.

I can’t find it now but I have a report at work that claims around 75% of all cloud storage companies tested (around 30 companies IIRC) deploy very poor security controls and were hacked with trivial ease. Dropbox wasn’t in that list but I’ve a white paper (again at work) that shows how Dropbox can be compromised by a third party. That wasn’t as easy but it’s certainly not beyond your average amateur hacker.

Cougar

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve nothing against Dropbox, I just know a lot of people use it.

If as Viv says you’ve nothing confidential on there, then it doesn’t matter. I’m of much the same view, and I’m currently evaluating a number of these services for personal use. I do grow very weary of the tinfoil hat brigade, but I think it’s worth making an informed decision (rather than an uninformed one).

It raises an interesting point though, if security is as generally lax as Samurai says. It seems that this is the way computing is going more and more at the moment, and it’s a short step from someone syncing a couple of holiday snaps, to them then making a recommendation at work that they do the same with all our financial data.

NZCol

One day people might start to ask wtf goes on ‘in the cloud’.

Yours

A Security Person.

bazzer
    Free Member

I use crash plan for online backup, they offer various encryption options, including handling your own keys. Its encrypted at your machine and if you choose to handle your own keys then they have no way of decrypting the other end.

Also one of the cheapest services for unlimited storage.

bruneep

I found dropbox were randomly deleting files.

Stopped using for that reason

mogrim

If as Viv says you’ve nothing confidential on there, then it doesn’t matter. I’m of much the same view, and I’m currently evaluating a number of these services for personal use. I do grow very weary of the tinfoil hat brigade, but I think it’s worth making an informed decision (rather than an uninformed one).

+1 on that, it’s a very handy service but not one I’d use to store my bank passwords.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Dropbox privacy’ is closed to new replies.