Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Dropbox alternatives
  • zokes
    Free Member

As per title – does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to dropbox, but with considerably (10+ GB) more space. Or, cheaper options for space upgrades.

We’re trying to share photos and HD video of their grandchild with relatives back in the UK, and in this day and age, posting DVDs is a bit old hat…

Jamie
    Free Member

Google Drive gives you 15GB to start with. If you have an existing Google account, for Gmail etc, then you have already have a GDrive account. As they have unified all their services.

One thing to note, It takes other Google services into account. So if you have a Gmail account with years of emails in, this may dent your GDrive allowance.

However, monthly rates to increase space seem reasonable (prices in USD).

It also has a iOS/Android and Windows/Mac desktop apps.

Moses

Microsoft Skydrive / OneDrive,
    Google Drive
    GaduGadu (If you read Polish)

for starters

zokes
    Free Member

GDrive looks the part (it seems I’ve only used 3.25GB in email so far…). Does it play nice with Dropbox?

Jamie
    Free Member

Define play?

Drac

You could by a some domain hosting cheap enough.

zokes
    Free Member

Define play?

As in “do they fight”. I was thinking contextual menus and the like, but decided to make it a rhetorical question and installed it anyway. It seems there are no issues as of yet (aside from them fighting over the piddling upload bandwidth ADSL2 gives you…)

irelanst
    Free Member

We use Skydrive to share with my parents. They also have my Skydrive login details so can remotely access my shared drives without me having to upload to the cloud all the time.

FTP with a NAS could be another option?

Jamie
    Free Member

As in “do they fight”. I was thinking contextual menus and the like, but decided to make it a rhetorical question and installed it anyway. It seems there are no issues as of yet (aside from them fighting over the piddling upload bandwidth ADSL2 gives you…)

Nah, they operate together just fine. I use them both, one for personal and the other for family stuff. Will probably move all to GDrive once more apps add integration.*

*Glares at 1Password.

rwamartin
    Free Member

sugarsync

mega.co.nz 50GB free.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Box.com

Currently comes with 10gb but they do introductory offers from time to time where they normally offer 50gb free. If you’ve got a few different email addresses you can sign up for multiple accounts. I’ve currently got 250gb free.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Use Dropbox and drive at the moment But Dropbox is by far the most reliable IME. Never have any trouble with it at all.

Drive will crash and not sync things. Used box at work and dislike the interface

That’s all for file sync though rather than sharing. Couldn’t you use Flickr for photos and only need this for video?

footflaps

Just pay for a 100Gb Dropbox account? It’s only £60/year.

unovolo
    Free Member

Between Onedrive(skydrive) and 2xGmail accounts and a dropbox account I have around 85Gb worth og cloud storage for free.

Never had a problem with any of them(touch wood) but probably use Onedrive and Dropbox the most for storage.

rj
    Free Member

I use MS OneDrive (previously SkyDrive) after Dropbox deleted everything I had on it and refused to answer my mails.

davcow
    Free Member

If it’s photos and videos you want to share then probably best looking at Flickr as they give you a whole terabyte free.
    (That’s 1000GB!)

zokes
    Free Member

I have a grandfathered Flickr pro, so unlimited. If I can work out how to let only my parents download from there, that might work. I know I can make sets family only, but not sure if I can give family permission to access the high res file etc without letting everyone do that for my other photos…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m using Dropbox with 50gb free (until september) which means I need to sort a solutionm out.

Google Drive gives me enough space and I pay for a bit extra (couple of $/month)

The solution I’m looking at is Own Cloud on my own hosting. Looks promising so far but not had the time to get it set up on every machine.

leffeboy

SkyDrive or bittorrentsync if you want to host the space yourself. Add a synology NAS if you don’t want to leave your ‘puter on

smokey_jo

Looking at Owncloud myself but installed on an old box running Ubuntu Server. I’ve just got some firewall configuration to do then it should be ready to play 🙂

This was the advice I got from our IT support:

Quick heads up on Owncloud – make sure you keep *very* up to date with patches. It’s got a long list of vulnerabilities this year alone. I recommend subscribing to one of the many security mailing lists or setting a Google alert for “Owncloud+CVE”. That said it’s a good platform – just a bit of a target for hackers…. Lot’s of history XSS vulnerabilities. Credit to the developers, they get patched quickly, but a patch is only good if installed in a timely fashion!

http://www.cvedetails.com/product/22262/Owncloud-Owncloud.html?vendor_id=11929

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Dropbox alternatives’ is closed to new replies.