Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Drop bars – take some getting used to…
  • guitarmanjon
    Free Member

…or is it one of those things that some people don’t “get”?

I know there are lots of people who rate drop bars and think they’re great with all the different hand positions and that. For this reason when building up my 700c hack/road/cross bike I stuck some midge bars on. Looks great but I felt very uncomfortable on it. Not sure if the stem’s a bit too long and low for me.

Confidence hasn’t been helped by a quick raz into town on the old hack bike with Mary bars which I find very comfortable.

Should I give the drops more time? Tempted to get some flats with bar ends instead.

RealMan
    Free Member

Could get some proper drops, midge bars are those weird swept back thingys aren’t they?

Obviously different hand and body positions will take time to get used to.

thepodge
    Free Member

give them time, I’m just back from my 3rd ride on drops and I’m just starting to get a feel for them

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Yeah, midge bars are a little weird.

Might steal the stem from my GF’s bike as it’s shorter and has a bit more rise to see if that helps.

RealMan
    Free Member

Take a picture of the bike if you can, you might have them set up at a really weird height or angle.

GW
    Free Member

I’d hate a road bike without drop bars (I ride 99% of the time on the hoods 1% on the top and practically never on the drops) but I’d also hate any off road bike with drop bars or any of the other niche non riser bar options. they simply don’t offer anywhere near as much upper body control of the bike.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’d hate a road bike without drop bars (I ride 99% of the time on the hoods 1% on the top and practically never on the drops) but I’d also hate any off road bike with drop bars or any of the other niche non riser bar options. they simply don’t offer anywhere near as much upper body control of the bike.

I would never run drops on any mtb, or anything but drops on a road bike, but I don’t agree with this. I think you can get the control, it just takes time to get used to it. I don’t think there’s any real gains to be made from using weird bars though – apart from the fact that you’re using weird bars.

You barely ever ride on the drops? How come? Got your bars too low? I spend probably 80% or more on the drops, almost everything except steep climbs.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Right, just taken a few quick shots:

Suggestions for altering the setup are welcome (just so long as I don’t have to re-tape the bars…).

RealMan
    Free Member

Crikey, superman position. Hoods are way out in front of the front hub, doesn’t look good.

crikey
    Free Member

Stem waaaaaaaaaaaay too long to use with those bars.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Shorter stem it is then!

RealMan
    Free Member

Is a typical position. Shorter stem should sort you out. Drop looks fine.

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Excellent. Cheers for the advice and willing me on to give them a few more rides.

Off to the classifieds…

crikey
    Free Member

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

Gimme a week to practice and I’ll be doing that 😉

OCB
    Free Member

Midge bars can be very comfy, they are the only drops I use now.
    Mine are on shorter stems (than you’d normally expect to use on drops) with a little bit of rise – at 80mm and +6º (typically).

From the pictures, I’d maybe try bringing the controls up the bars a little bit next time you re-tape, but for now, maybe just tip the bars back very slightly.

GW
    Free Member

“Turn bars” are so Rad!!! 8)

I think you can get the control, it just takes time to get used to it.

well, you’re wrong, but don’t worry about it.. not having a clue about bike control has always been fairly common on here. 😛

You barely ever ride on the drops? How come?

I simply prefer to spend most of my time **** about on bikes (even roadbikes) having fun rather than in a serious faced wind cheating tuck.

Got your bars too low?

nope!

druidh
    Free Member

If that bike wasn’t designed for drop bars, then the chances are they are way out too far in front and too low. A shorter stem may help (or it may not).

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

It’s a touring frame so I’m pretty sure it’s designed for drops.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

oldgit
    Free Member

Mr Shimano went to all that trouble of designing those STIs to be comfortable and efficient on road drop bars. Fit them to Midges and they’re all over the shop. I mean have a look, if I took them out of the box and threw them in the air….that’s how they’d land.

That said Midges are ace bars, but IMO always best ridden in the drop.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Drop bars – take some getting used to…’ is closed to new replies.