Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Drone strikes aircraft at Heathrow
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

This was only a matter of time but a BA flight from Geneva landing at Heathrow struck a drone. I wonder if we will have to have an aircraft brought down with inevitable fatalities before something get’s done about this.

BBC

cornholio98
    Free Member

In the USA all drones over 250grams need to be registered. It came in at the end of last year..

Not that it will make any difference if a drone is ingested as there won’t be enough left to identify…

DrJ

What is it with people? Drones. Lasers. What do they have in their heads?

cranberry
    Free Member

It is not quite the droneopolypse that we have been promised is it – plane hits drone, headline writers only mildy inconvenienced. We were told that a drone-strike would knock a plane out of the sky in a fiery ball of flames.

They shouldn’t be allowed near airports and having a register of drones above a certain weight sounds like a good idea, but the danger of them has been over hyped.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’d not like to see the damage a load of aluminium and carbon fibre makes when it goes through an engine.

jeffl

Probably a similar amount of damage to a bird?

TheBrick
    Free Member

e danger of them has been over hyped.

How do you come to that conclusion?

A hit on a different part of an plane, or a different size drone or at a different moment could have very different consequences.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Dunno. Though i’m not sure there is that much carbon fibre or aluminium in a bird.

Sure someone will chuck a drone through an engine soon, so we can all find out.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

but the danger of them has been over hyped.

Really ? One has just hit an aircraft. We can not control where birds fly, however we can stop d!k heads flying devices deliberately near aircraft.

What reason would anyone have for flying a drone on the flight path to an airport ? If they did have a legitimate reason they should have told the CAA and asked for the aircraft flights to be suspended while they carried out whatever highly important drone flying they needed to do.

IMO if found they should be done for attempted murder.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

It was only a matter of time before it happened.

I’m no expert but I’d imagine that one of the drones going through an engine when an aircraft is taking off could have the potential to turn messy.
    From reading something about it yesterday the bloke from the BA pilots union was saying that when they did some computer modelling for a drone hitting an aircraft windscreen it showed it penetrating the screen which isn’t a good thing. They were also concerned about the potential for an uncontained engine failure.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

They won’t cause an uncontained engine failure. Engines are designed to ingest things and fail in a safe way (sometimes they don’t fail at all) – i.e. without bits of engine flying through the passenger cabin taking out passengers. Birds are ingested into engines every week and nothing more than an engine inspection and replacement of a few fan blades is required. However though it might not cause a plane to crash it will probably cause a plane to have to turn around and land again (if taking off) and a bunch of people getting really P’d off for missing part of their holidays or important business meetings, who will probably claim £400 each off the airline due to some silly EU directive, and cost the airline a few million quid in engine and aircraft repairs.

The biggest risk is that they hit an aircraft, nobody notices, any damage caused propagates through the flight and causes a much more potentially serious situation further down the line at cruising altitude. I still don’t think it is a big enough risk to cause a crash, but we don’t want to be taking any risks.

Drones are small, lightweight and made of flimsy materials so the amount of damage they can make on their own is probably limited. However the terrorist risk is probably the greatest concern – a drone hovering in the or take off area with a bomb strapped to it could be more of a concern, turning the fuel tanks of the aircraft into the bomb with the drone being the detonator.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

the danger of them has been over hyped.

Too right. I’d not bother doing anything about it until one actually takes down a plane.

cranberry
    Free Member

Dunno. Though i’m not sure there is that much carbon fibre or aluminium in a bird.

Or as much easy to chop up lightweight plastic in a bird.

To be clear – people flying drones near an airport should have their thumbs confiscated, but given the size of most drones and the fact that planes are designed to survive hitting things like ducks and geese, I think that the dangers are being overstated at the moment.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just said on radio 4 that no research has been done, however they did say it is the battery that can basically act like a bullet.

Are some people above offering to take part in the trials to see how little damage is caused? I’m sure they can get the aircraft to land on auto pilot and you just sit their and feed back 🙄

xc-steve
    Free Member

If they’re able to block/jam phone signals are they able to block/jam the signals used for drones near airports? Combined with registered over a certain weight, and proper sentencing if caught as deterrents?

hora
    Free Member

Tbh I wouldn’t want a drone coming down on my head in a park etc. Hopefully drones are kept to a certain weight/dimensions? Then I could see issues with airports.

bencooper
    Free Member

Firstly, can we stop calling them drones? They’re radio-controlled toys – especially, I’m guessing, the ones used by idiots to fly near airports. It won’t be a £6k Droidworks hexacopter that the aircraft hit, it’ll have been a £200 thing from Argos.

And there’s the irony – just as people start frothing about the dangers of them, they’re getting much smaller and lighter. The Mikrokopter I’ve got in the shop is a 1hp monster capable of lifting a 2kg camera, and it’s now outdated by much smaller lighter craft, because HD cameras have become much smaller.

Idiots will be idiots – there should, of course, be penalties for doing silly things near flight paths, but I don’t know where you’d start trying to register all radio-controlled toys.

bencooper
    Free Member

Tbh I wouldn’t want a drone coming down on my head in a park etc. Hopefully drones are kept to a certain weight/dimensions?

There are already laws regarding commercial use (which is where most of the bigger ones are used anyway).

bikebouy
    Free Member

But dem rulz int being stuck too iz day, uvver wyze dis drone wouldn’t av it a plane innit.

Now, I’m off to walk the Staffy and slug another Stella.

richmars

As above stupid people doing stupid things, who will spoil things for the rest of us.
    I’d happily register mine with whoever needs to know.

lodious
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at getting a Phantom, and reading the forums / watching youtube videos the lack of common sense surrounding the use of these is ‘toys’ is scary. It actually puts me off buying one, partly as there must be a lot of people with negative attitudes to them, and partly as strict regulation is only a matter of time. I had no idea what people were doing with them….it is bonkers at the moment.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Why do you need a drone?

jimdubleyou

Now, I’m off to walk the Staffy and slug another Stella.

You’ve been to Feltham then…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They won’t cause an uncontained engine failure. Engines are designed to ingest things and fail in a safe way

And sometimes they don’t.

richmars

Why do you need a drone?

Because it’s fun.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not really. A bird is mostly squishy water and will ‘disappear’ when shoved through the intake fan – the worry is that damage is done to the [very expensive] fans.
    Now if you shove something non-squishy, like a camera or a battery or bits of aluminium, etc through that fan they will not ‘disappear’ and will be shredded and accelerated to a very high speed as it moves through the various compressor fans deep within the engine. The likelyhood of damage is much higher when an engine ingests solid material.
    Remember the SS Columbia? A piece of fairly soft foam punched a 16″ hole in a carbon fibre wing.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

If they are able to fly near airports & not get caught,then how long before some terrorist idiot flys one with a small explosive device on it into a plate?

IdleJon

How did the pilots know they hit a drone? Did they see it or just find damage later?I’m curious about how much you can see from the cockpit of a large passenger jet.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Though i’m not sure there is that much carbon fibre or aluminium in a bird.

Not unless that pesky Irish supervet has his own way

how long before some terrorist idiot flys one with a small explosive device on it into a plate?

Or worse still, how long before a midget taliban flies himself into an airplane in a drone? It’ll be like an cut scene from Rocketeer.

andy8442
    Free Member

The big fear about one of these things going through an aircraft engine, are the lithium batteries they contain. Nobody will do a “test strike” as the results would be a huge exploision in the engine, and then the loss of a very expensive piece of kit. These drones are at best a nuisance and worst a very dangerous piece of kit. They need quite simply need controlling in some form or another.

andytherocketeer

If they’re able to block/jam phone signals are they able to block/jam the signals used for drones near airports?

It’s just the 2.4GHz ISM band so yes, and no.
    Would probably take out WiFi, Bluetooth etc. too.
    Heck, many cheap toy ones ARE WiFi (and are very very easy to perform a denial of service on). But most of those toy ones, if you took off at the perimeter fence, you probably couldn’t fly it beyond one runway light.

In the USA all drones over 250grams need to be registered.

If the USA did one thing right in this law, they made it so that the operator is registered, and not the craft, and the operator is obliged to put his personal registration number on all aircraft over 250g.
    Remember this is not just “drones”, but all model aircraft which have been used for years. And RC model makers don’t buy an off the shelf “drone” (well many do), but buy kits and parts, and scratch build, and mix and match when they break.

If I really had to register, I would. But then the other good thing about that US law is it has driven innovation to make more and more efficient sub-250g “drones” suitable for FPV drone racing. But then those guys, and those of us that are BMFA (etc.) members aren’t the problem. They’re the ones having safety codes, laws (even being involved in that lawmaking), insurance,…

Oh and for my other hobby, flying rockets, we fly AT an airfield. An active one at that. Rockets going 10,000ft beside a gliding runway, and a separate runway and landing zone for parachute jumping.

konagirl
    Free Member

They won’t cause an uncontained engine failure. Engines are designed to ingest things and fail in a safe way

And sometimes they don’t.

+1. BA2267 (Las Vegas fire) had the HP compressor breach the engine case. That is not supposed to happen!

It is illegal to fly close to airports, it just needs much better policing. There have been plenty of reports of drones near aircraft on take-off and approach – up to 4,000ft!

richmars

As Andy says, rules are fine, but if you really want to hit a plane with a drone you will always find a way.

slowoldman

However though it might not cause a plane to crash it will probably cause a plane to have to turn around and land again (if taking off) and a bunch of people getting really P’d off for missing part of their holidays or important business meetings, who will probably claim £400 each off the airline due to some silly EU directive, and cost the airline a few million quid in engine and aircraft repairs.

A case for registration and public liability insurance perhaps?

Northwind

andy8442 – Member

The big fear about one of these things going through an aircraft engine, are the lithium batteries they contain. Nobody will do a “test strike” as the results would be a huge exploision in the engine,

Probably not- the batteries in a drone are small, even in perfect conditions you wouldn’t get much of an explosion. You’d not want to be holding it in your hand but if it blew up a couple of feet away, you’d just get a bit of a surprise. (and a small, hard to put out fire). But in a plane strike I’d expect the battery to be basically destroyed and knocked apart at first impact rather than exploding/burning up as one. In terms of forces the energy release from the battery’s going to be way less than the collision forces.

But test strikes is exactly what they do, to test engines.

Not to say drones can’t be dangerous, just on the specifics here.

SaxonRider

Why do you need a drone?

This. Times a gazillion.

People are strange.

andytherocketeer

Real RC model flying guys will be BMFA members, and have several million GBP of insurance.

But, they won’t be the ones flying near LHR.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Even if the Plane doesnt come down, bird strikes damage engines and engines aren’t cheap.

GrahamS

> Why do you need a drone?

This. Times a gazillion.

People are strange.

A very odd line of debate in a forum for grown-ups who like to ride expensive mechanical toys around muddy woods.

Drones are fun – no other justification is required.

DrJ

You don’t. Nor do you need a bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Drone strikes aircraft at Heathrow’ is closed to new replies.