Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 315 total)
  • Drone Strike authorised by Cameron
  • nickc

I see we’ve joined the Americans in carrying out extra judicial killings of it’s own citizens…

Guardian Article

FuzzyWuzzy

good

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s hard to decide whether to be more bothered that he’s executing British citizens without trial, or that he’s bombing Syria after parliament voted against it.

Smudger666

If you can call someone actively planning terrorist activities from a foreign land a ‘citizen’ – two less MF jihadists to worry about.

jimjam
    Free Member

nickc

I see we’ve joined the Americans in carrying out extra judicial killings of it’s own citizens.

As opposed to just extra judicially killing everyone else’s citizens?

bencooper
    Free Member

If you can call someone actively planning terrorist activities from a foreign land a ‘citizen’ – two less MF jihadists to worry about.

So why bother putting terrorist suspects on trial in this country? Much quicker to just execute them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Smudger666 – Member
    If you can call someone actively allegedly planning terrorist activities from a foreign land a ‘citizen’ –

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

scotroutes

Our military are assassins now? Isn’t that how you’d refer to military action against an individual in a country where you’ve not actually declared war?

nickc

If you can call someone actively planning terrorist activities from a foreign land a ‘citizen’

Is there any evidence?

Or has Cameron used the wearisome (and not good enough under international law ) defence of; “He was looking at me funny, M’lud”

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Nickc – ah shucks he didn’t get the permission of a load of men in suits who have no grip on reality. But however I guess it would have passified you, which would make it worth it

allthepies
    Free Member

Seems a waste of an expensive bit of kit (zee missile that is).

cheekyboy
    Free Member

It’s neoliberal intervention innit !

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Who saw the evidence, who collected it, who checked it. Do we know it was actually the bloke they were targeting?
    Considering the UK does not have a death penalty it seems happy to execute people.
    Which other people are on the kill list? How do you get on the list what’s the burden of proof? One of the things that makes a democracy is a respect of the law.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Seems a waste of an expensive bit of kit (zee missile that is).

I bet it was cheaper than having them politely arrested, brought back to the UK and and kept at Her Majerstys pleasure for the next 10 years.

T1000
    Free Member

If they’d managed to drop a bomb on William Joyce no one would have whined about it

DrJ

I know it’s wrong of me but I’m struggling to GAS about the fate of a couple of bearded nut jobs.

jambalaya
    Free Member

May it be the first of many strikes against IS in Syria. Any IS fighter is a legitimate target. Cameron did not have to go to parliament for a vote 2 year ago but he did so and abided by that decision. Its ckear now the vote not to intervene was a mistake

@ben agreed much better to have then killed in action, it is they who have chosen Jihad and a desire to be martyrs

allthepies
    Free Member

Cameron made the point that there was no option to extradite the guy or have him put through any legal process.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVA3T7FoM3E[/video]

DrJ – Member
    I know it’s wrong of me but I’m struggling to GAS about the fate of a couple of bearded nut jobs.

If you don’t GAS about them consider the wider implications, parliament blocked military intervention in Syria and yet we are launching drone strikes, again how did these people get on the list?

bencooper
    Free Member

Do we know it was actually the bloke they were targeting?

And who was killed on the 21st of July?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/21/briton-reyaad-khan-believed-killed-air-strike-islamic-state-syria

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Cameron made the point that there was no option to extradite the guy or have him put through any legal process.

With that logic it will probably mean the US can nuke the Ecuador Embassy to get Assange then?

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s certainly made me think about where I holiday next year.

DrJ

If you don’t GAS about them consider the wider implications,

Yes I know you’re right. But on a gut level it’s quite satisfying to see these scumbags on the receiving end.

FuzzyWuzzy

They blocked military action against Assad’s regime, pretty sure the guy from Cardiff wasn’t there fighting for Assad. And please all with the “if they can get away with this what’s to stop them randomly taking out people in Surrey that vote for another political party” point-stretching bullshit.

As for declaring war, given we don’t recognise the caliphate how the frick do you officially declare war on them? We’re not targeting Syria’s national army, we’re targeting terrorists that have set up camp there.

crankboy
    Free Member

I am struggling to give a shit about the fate of two bearded nut Jobs but I do give a shit about our way of life and the rule of law. I read Rosenberg’s supposed rational as to how this was legal in the Guardian it begged a lot of questions and at best its actual conclusion was that in the right set of circumstances this was possibly legal and we just have to trust the politicians that the right set of circumstances existed.
    We cannot just say they were baddies so it’s fine . If Cameron can kill this guy and a couple of bystanders because it was expedient to do so what and who comes next ? Can we target an orphanage because there is someone who looks a bit ISIS driving past?

allthepies
    Free Member

You were just slightly too early with that post 😆

samunkim
    Free Member

If we had started bombing Assad… Anyone guess at a date when we would have said ” Whoopsy , my bad” and started bombing ISIS. Or would we have just started bombing both sides.

It’s all a bit 1984 innit ?

iolo
    Free Member

I wonder how many innocent men, women and children were killed to get these 2? The media never seems to report on that.
    A faceless killing from a laptop in another continent obliterating everyone and everything within the region where these bad guys are is totally the wrong way to go about it.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Meh, the British government has always killed people abroad who pose a threat to national security. I saw a documentary about it recently, I think it was called “The man with the golden gun” or “Octopusy” or something…

bencooper
    Free Member

ameron made the point that there was no option to extradite the guy or have him put through any legal process.

In that case, it’s justifiable to use a drone to take out Tony Blair.

Smudger666

was waiting for that leap of ‘logic’ to come up..

and to be honest, there’s parts of surrey that would be improved with an airstrike. 🙂

crankboy
    Free Member

Hindsight and all that but if we had bombed Assad and gone all out to support the Free Syryan Army would we now have ISIS the “caliphate” or the current refugee crisis?

wrecker
    Free Member

What I’d like to know is how the **** did they find two particular bearded dudes in the badlands of Syria (which is brimmers with bearded dudes). Pretty impressive really.

Smudger666

maybe they geotagged their video – you know – the one where they are innocently recruiting brits to join them.

MSP

Hindsight and all that but if we had bombed Assad and gone all out to support the Free Syryan Army would we now have ISIS the “caliphate” or the current refugee crisis?

Yes, in fact they would now be in total control.

We (the rest of the world and especially the US and europe) need to have a long hard rethink about the way we are handling the middle east, have a long term plan that is consistent and fair, and doesn’t just involve bombing the **** out of today’s enemy and providing the campaign poster for tomorrow’s enemy.

DrJ

Well it gives me a stiffy to think that Carrie Mathieson was involved somehow.

allthepies
    Free Member

Special forces on the ground was the Radio 4* speculation this morning.

* other speculation is available.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/76766128[/video]
    Some more on the great use of Drones to kill people
    http://dirtywars.org/

“if they can get away with this what’s to stop them randomly taking out people in Surrey that vote for another political party” point-stretching bullshit.

Don’t think they would just whoever the bomb hits will be declared a terrorist, evidence will be subject to national security and on it goes…

hilldodger
    Free Member

Top bombing……

scruff9252

MSP, have you seen how much money our arms industries are making out of the middle East?! There will be heavy lobbying to maintain the status quo in fighting.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 315 total)

The topic ‘Drone Strike authorised by Cameron’ is closed to new replies.