• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Driving with Kids on a provisional licence
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Mrs-g has her test booked for a month or so from now so I have added her to my insurance in order to get as much practice in as possible, our issue is that we wont get much opportunity to get out without the kids there.

From looking at the rules – I have to be present, sober, and sat in the front seat, all good common sense rules, however I can not find any mention of whether or not additional passengers (the kids) are allowed in the back. I would assume so, does anyone know for sure?

Whether or not this is a good idea is another matter, and that decision has been made for me.

siwhite
    Free Member

Nothing against it in the regs…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes

scotroutes

As above, there is no restriction on the number of passengers.

Onzadog: note spelling. If you’re trying to be clever, don’t let yourself down. 🙂

steve-g
    Free Member

Cheers, I will independently verify the standard of driving before letting the kids sit in I think.

Does raise quite an interesting issue though, in a situation where one person is driving on a provisional, under supervision by another in a car they jointly own – who controls the stereo?

oliverracing

Anyone is allowed in the car (up to the legal limit of the car) I pretty much did every family journey for about 4 months while learning to drive!

And on the subject of stereo – definitely the passenger, no chance that when I was learning that I could have concentrated on that too!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does raise quite an interesting issue though, in a situation where one person is driving on a provisional, under supervision by another in a car they jointly own – who controls the stereo?

The one who can withhold sex?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The three of us spent loads of time in the back of the family Granada when my mum was on L plates. No problems at all.

johndoh
    Free Member

As above, there is no restriction on the number of passengers.

I thought there was but it wouldn’t apply to the OP (something to do with only a certain amount of passengers if the full licence holder is <21 years old to avoid a car full of kids titting about and distracting the provisional driver).

Or I may have made that up?

jeffl

@JohnDoh – That was something they were looking into but I think that was once you’d passed your test. Similar idea with limiting night driving e.g. midnight to 6am but I think it was found to be unworkable/unenforceable, although I think some insurance companies are doing it with the aid of black boxes which allegedly reduces insurance premiums.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with it – learner drivers under instruction statistically are safer then new drivers with a full license – the greater risk will be when she’s passed and you’re not there as a second pair of eyes / experience.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Driving with Kids on a provisional licence’ is closed to new replies.