Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • Driving While Banned. Not me.
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

What would you do if you thought somebody had lost their driving licence and you know they are still driving?

I think my brother has been banned from driving, I’m not sure but from his twitter it sounds like it. I know that he is still driving and I would not put it past him to drive with a ban.

If I approach him he will deny it, he would also deny it to our parents. For the record he is 20, lives at home and has recently got a girlfriend who is bad for him and encourages him to be a knob. I don’t want to shop him to the police or dvla but I will if I have to.

I’m not entirely sure what approach to take, any suggestions?

meehaja
    Free Member

fake DVLA letter telling him that they believe he is driving and if found to be so would face a lengthy prison sentance and/ or huge fine?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Police, it’s probably a good thing if he never finds out it’s you.
    I’m guessing you don’t have a friendly local copper?
    Why do you think he was banned? Probably easy to check up on – court records etc?

zokes
    Free Member

I’d be inclined to suggest the rozzers also…

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Why do you think he was banned? Is he a danger to others?

Personally I’d have it out with him then shop him

notmyrealname
    Free Member
    Pieface

You could have a word, and say if you’ve noticed someone else will have done. Even if he denies it does it matter? May get him thinking about it.

Or Crimestoppers.

Could be for his own good in the long run.

althepal

Shop him. I know it’s your brother and that but honestly, better he gets caught not doing it if you know what I mean..

singlespeedstu

He’s your brother why not just talk to him about it…

samuri
    Free Member

Get drunk with him and have a driving license comparing contest.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Find out about my ban….
    Although technically devious I’m sure you know enough about your brother to get the info….

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

If he’s a danger to others, then think about the potential consequences of not doing something….

geordiemick00
    Free Member

local traffic depts get lists of recently banned drivers and often pay them a visit on the off chance, a high number of people continue to drive and get caught out, so if you don’t stop him the rozzers may well do.

tinybits
    Free Member

Ffs, he’s your brother. Talk to him. To all above suggesting shop him, are you serious? If you’ll do that to your own brother you’re a bunch of dicks.
    I think that’s the final nail in the coffin. It’s time to flounce. Wonder what real people look like…?

patriotpro
    Free Member

Driving whilst banned is an imprisonable offence 😯

Tell him, if that doesn’t focus his mind, nowt will.

nealglover
    Free Member

He’s your brother why not just talk to him about it…

This.

It sounds really simple.

But that’s because it is.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I think he has been banned because he already has 3 points for speeding and drives like a ****. He has had his licence for less than 2 years so if he gets 6 points he gets a ban.

He put a picture on twitter of his fuel gauge being empty and his mate commented that he thought my brother had been banned. He didn’t specifically say banned from driving but that was the gist of the comment. My brother replied yea man txt me I’ll tell you about it.

He is 20 and is developing a really bad attitude towards life in general. I can imagine him thinking that a ban wasn’t he’s fault so he should keep driving. He would deny everything if confronted about it.

Luckily he can get the train to work so wouldn’t lose his job with his licence. But I guess he would if he had to serve a prison term.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ffs, he’s your brother. Talk to him. To all above suggesting shop him, are you serious? If you’ll do that to your own brother you’re a bunch of dicks.

Yep fair point unless the OP started with this

If I approach him he will deny it, he would also deny it to our parents. For the record he is 20, lives at home and has recently got a girlfriend who is bad for him and encourages him to be a knob. I don’t want to shop him to the police or dvla but I will if I have to.

Sounds like a shock may be required, the friendly local copper route is the best one, not shopping him but
    a)confirm he is banned
    b)stop him doing anything stupid

taxi25
    Free Member

Can’t believe people on here suggesting you shop your brother in without knowing the details. Talk to him, If its a totting up thing for minor offences, explain to him the likely consequences but let him get on with it. If it was a D/d and he’s still drinking and driving, lots more serious and would need a major family intervention.

althepal

Ok. Speak to the friendly local copper- if you have one…
    If you do that, he has a word and your brother isn’t receptive- well you’ve shopped him already anyway..

maccruiskeen

Driving whilst banned is an imprisonable offence 😯

The people I met in prison who had been caught driving on a ban were really very surprised and very upset at where they’d found themselves. Unlike the armed robbers and the drug dealers its wasn’t a risk they realised they were taking

patriotpro
    Free Member

From what your saying he’s likely not just been banned but had his license revoked which means he’ll have to take all the tests again. It this is the case he’s could well be burying his head in the sand about it.

If he were my bro, I’d just help him through it, maybe lend him the cash for the retest. I wouldn’t lecture him though.

Depends what your relationship is like really. If that’s a no go, have a word with his mates and girl friend.

piemonster

Someone being a family member doesn’t make them above the law

I_Ache
    Free Member

If I so him and he isn’t banned nothing will happen, if he gets caught it might mean a few weeks inside and an even worse attitude than he already has.

I think I might have to aggressively confront him. That won’t end up with us being best friends but it just might save his life from going down the shitter. He used to be a nice lad until a year or so ago. Bloody family.

PatriotPro its not the brother of mine that you have met fwiw.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Exactly Mac’, i don’t think it’s well known really is it…

Better the bomb shell from your bro than a traffic cop.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I realised that when you said he was 20 buddy 😉

Hope it gets sorted for all concerned.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Yea hadn’t thought of that. He does own that red 456 so maybe he does deserve locking up.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

It invalidates his insurance, so a minor shunt can leave him srewed money wise.
    Driving while banned is a dumb thing to do.

hora
    Free Member

Grab him, shake and shout at him.

float
    Free Member

people are seriously saying you should annoymously call the police on your own brother?! good god some of the people on here are unbelievable.

how about just telling him to stop being an asshat?

somafunk

Personally i’d ask him first before taken out the usual stw righteous justice middle class angst on him, this forum is full of sanctimonious cocks these days.

zokes
    Free Member

people are seriously saying you should annoymously call the police on your own brother?! good god some of the people on here are unbelievable.

how about just telling him to stop being an asshat?

How about reading the OP? Especially the bit where he states that he doubts a talking to from the OP or parents would have much effect.

Personally i’d ask him first before taken out the usual stw righteous justice middle class angst on him, this forum is full of sanctimonious cocks these days.

And also morons who can’t read, it seems. See above re: OP.

somafunk

Yep…Don’t fret Zokes…….I read it but i doubt i’m a moron, personally speaking i have been brought up to have a very healthy distrust of the police and court service in this country, unless you have money or power/influence on your behalf you will get screwed over every time without fail as they have one purpose in society and that is to convict without compassion or true justice. I dunno bout you but i tend to keep family problems within the “family” so to speak, i guess i’ve been brought up differently to most of the folk on here though so you can freely make your own mind up over my personality (re-moron) without having to worry about myself giving a passing thought to how you or others view my behaviour over the years.

Breaking the law and deciding what’s wrong or right for myself over the past 40 years without discourse to web forums

zokes
    Free Member

Somafunk:

1) Ironic for you to be complaining about me suggesting you’re moron when you’re happy to throw about insults such as “sanctimonious cocks”. Perhaps in your case the cap fits?

2) How’s your tin foil hat? I’m sure the polis are really out to get everyone who doesn’t pay them off.

3) It stops being a family problem as soon as his brother drives on a public road without a licence. That would be a criminal offence – ergo a matter for the police. What justice would you prefer if the OP’s brother knocked you off your bike whilst driving unlicensed? I’m sure you wouldn’t mind because he’s someone’s brother and it should be kept in the family, right?

Breaking the law and deciding what’s wrong or right for myself over the past 40 years without discourse to web forums

Let’s just float the notion for a second that what you view as ‘right’ might not agree with everyone else’s view. Ditto what’s ‘wrong’. I suppose it’s a good job we have laws in that case.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

How about reading the OP? Especially the bit where he states that he doubts a talking to from the OP or parents would have much effect.

Or perhaps the bit which says : “I think I might have to aggressively confront him.” ?

I would rather aggressively confront my brother than phone up the old bill and get him nicked.

And yes, because he’s my brother.

CountZero

Somafunk, lets imagine it’s your brother, you have a ‘quiet word’ and it still ends up like this, http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/377994/Sad-farewell-to-tandem-couple-killed-in-hit-and-run-crash
    because, as the OP says, he’s developing a real attitude… 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

In simple terms if he is banned then there is every chance he will get caught and recieve a decent punishment. Especially if he lives in Somafunk’s world

i have been brought up to have a very healthy distrust of the police and court service in this country, unless you have money or power/influence on your behalf you will get screwed over every time without fail as they have one purpose in society and that is to convict without compassion or true justice

Worse is the other situation where he has an accident and screws up other peoples lives and his own for ever.

There will be some reasonable coppers happy to pay him a visit (not nick him) and explain what he faces if he is caught driving banned.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i honestly cant believe anyone would be so low to shop their own brother in to the police. i honestly cant believe people could be that low. i would walk out in front of a bus for either of my brothers without a second thought. you should all be ashamed of your selves

mikewsmith
    Free Member

i honestly cant believe anyone would be so low to shop their own brother in to the police. i honestly cant believe people could be that low. i would walk out in front of a bus for either of my brothers without a second thought. you should all be ashamed of your selves

But would you let him drive without a license?
    What if he wouldn’t listen to you?

poly
    Free Member

(1) The process of loosing your license at 6pts for new drivers is different from the usual totting up ban. You aren’t technically disqualified. You “simply” reapply for your provisional licence and take your test again.
    (2) Because you aren’t disqualified I *think* you would be prosecuted for driving other than in accordance with a license rather than driving whilst disqualified and so a prison sentence is not a possible outcome.
    (3) If you don’t know he’s got to six points then he may only have 3 but be sitting on a NIP etc, so knows it is coming. Or he may be stalling sending back his licence. Or perhaps he’s planning to go to court and fight it to try and keep his license. He may wrongly believe that if he spins it out beyond 2 yrs it won’t apply. It does the points are applied at the date of the offence not the date of conviction.
    (4) Perhaps he has his provisional back and was driving under L-plates.
    (5) Its possible he doesn’t actually understand (or will claim that). If you ‘tot up’ to 12 points, you have to go to court to get the points added and are normally DQd in the court face-to-face. Under the new driver rules there is no such requirements and so he may have sent back his license to get the points added and expects a letter telling him he can no longer drive and thinks until it comes he is OK (he’s not – and there is no requirement for anyone to write to him, he is supposed to know the consequence of getting to 6pts).
    (6) His 6 points will remain on his new license when he gets it. Therefore if he picks up another 6 he will be looking at a 6 month totting up ban, expensive insurance etc etc. Driving without a license will get him 3-6 pts. No insurance 6-8pts – so if he is caught he is probably looking at a proper ban.

You need to talk to him (or get your parents to). Probably best not to rush in assuming he’s been banned though if he might not have been…
    If he won’t listen then the police is the only way (DVLA won’t help). A friendly chat with a local officer might (?) get a stiff warning rather than waiting for him to commit an offence and catch him in action.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Driving While Banned. Not me.’ is closed to new replies.