Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Driving to the Olympics?
  • jools182
    Free Member

I have a ticket for the mens road race on saturday

My plan was to drive down to the outskirts of London, maybe even a tube line then use public transport. Trouble is I have no idea where would be the best bet

The event is on The Mall

theflatboy
    Free Member

where are you coming from?

jools182
    Free Member

Near Stockport

grantway
    Free Member

To be honest everything has now ground to a snail pace here in Newham
    They have screwed up all the traffic lights and only Three cars pass
    per One set of lights. I would not encourage anyone to drive into here.

But if you need to come and park I can give you a parking permit
    as we are allowed 40 virtual parking permits.

I am off the High street south in EastHam E6.
    Its a 20min walk to the Underground or 20min walk to Beckton DLR
    Just let me know.

Other than that get to either end off the Central Line or Southgate which is the Piccadilly Line
    or the Northern Line.
    All lines will get you into Central London.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

How about driving somewhere like Oxfordshire and getting the train in from there? Excuse my ignorance but no idea where Stockport is! but go to somewhere like Banbury, train a direct 1.5 hour into Marylebone then tube to said location.
    Would’ve thought that might be a better bet.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

to be honest your better off on train, the walk/tube/boris bike from euston

theflatboy
    Free Member

i would be very tempted to get the train all the way – it will be quicker overall than even driving to the outskirts and you won’t have to worry about the car, etc. from there you could aim to come in on the A40 but the closer you get the worst it will likely be. public transport’s the way.

Rich_s

Bugger, we’re due to drive down on Saturday to view an event on Sunday – trouble is we’re due to stay in Knightsbridge which kinda pees on that plan!

Bugger bugger and double bugger.

Any opinions on somewhere like Ruislip or Heathrow to dump car and tube in? Got 2 year old in tow, plus 3-4 days worth of kit, and need the car to be nearish as we’re staying in the South all week.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member

Excuse my ignorance but no idea where Stockport is

😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ruislip may be ok or Hillingdon but I know a lot of local housing estate parking was changed to permit holders only to prevent the underground traffic parking there!!!

Rich_s

Happy to pay to park somewhere – just where is the question… Would any of the park and fly options at Heathrow be worth considering?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Personally i would have thought they would be a mare to get to as mainly along A4 Bath rd but coming from m4 I think public transport is best.

loulouk
    Free Member

View from another Londoner. Don’t even bother trying to drive. We’ve woken up this morning to find someone’s been playing a weird game of Sim City with our road layouts.

My rec would be to dump the car at Luton Airport if you must drive, leave it in secure car parking overnight if needed, and train in. You’re going to need to be there early though, I think, if you’re in the Mall, so check train times carefully. I’m pretty sure they’re regular running cos it’s a ‘London airport’ thought it is of course blatantly not.

Otherwise, I’d take the train from Stockport but good luck getting a decent priced ticket, Virgin ram the prices right up the week before travel. Use Red Spotted Hanky and Tesco vouchers if you can to get a discount.

grantway
    Free Member

Can you get an Easy Jet/Ryan Air flight to Stanstead Airport and then get the train into Liverpool Street
    then onto the Underground.
    I would not use a Black Cab at the moment has they are not being aloud to use the Olympic or Bus lanes
    But are continuing to protest.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Driving to the Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.