Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Driving to Leeds from Bath on Sat -Which route?
  • artichokes
    Free Member

I have to drive to Leeds from Bath this Saturday, leaving about 9am. Not sure which route to take, which would you recommend? Any hot tips?

jekkyl

m5, m6, m62. Seems pretty straight forward to me.
    There’s usually some traffic around the M6 in the midlands up to junc 21 but I would still do that route over going over to the M1 and up.

jekkyl

unless you’re taking a bike stop at Cannock (10 mins from Junc 12 or 12 M6) or work your way up through Shropshire and go natural at the long mynd?

Gowrie
    Free Member

I’d avoid the M6. I’d go M5, M42 from below Birmingham straight up to A42 then M1. There are a few slow bits (roadworks) on the M1 but far better that than the traffic of the M6 and M60/62 around Manchester.

stumpy01

I’d do that route as well; M5, M6, A42, M1….

Daffy

For me, M4, M5, M42, M6, M69, M1. I chuffing hate the M42/A42 from Birmingham to Derby.

If I wasn’t in so much of a hurry, A46, A433, A429, A46, M69, M1.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

A46, A433, A429, A46, M69, M1, M62 was the chosen route when going West Wiltshire to Bradford if I remember correctly. 20 years ago, mind so traffic might be a bit different now.

Vaguely scenic across the Cotswolds, too. But if you’re in Bath you’d likely know that already.

(I started typing an hour ago and got distracted by work, hence being overtaken)

ads678

M5, M42/A42, M1 for me whenever I drive from Leeds down that way. Much better than M62, M6, but then i live very near the M1.

andy8442
    Free Member

M1, A42,M42,M5 and finally M4.

Daffy

andy8442 – Member
    M1, A42,M42,M5 and finally M4.

You’ve gone backwards you nitwit! 😀

tmb467
    Free Member

which bit of leeds?

if its north west then may be easier via M62 so you can jump onto the M606 towards bradford. M6 has 50mph ave speed cameras, then there’s a lot more on the M62 outside Manchester. M42/M1 might be quicker if you’re not heading north of Leeds

allthegear
    Free Member

Nobody thought M5, A38, round top of Birmingham on little bit of M6 Toll and then A38 & M1 up?

Rachel

ads678

tmb467 – That also depends though as you can carry straight up the M1/A1 link to get to north leeds esp wetherby side.

Junkyard
    Free Member

avoid the M6 I did it recently on a friday and it took hourse – might be ok on a sat but loads of roadworks – iirc the M6 section to M62 took over over 2 hours to do – 60 ish miles and then the M62 has roadworks

Not sure if weekend will be better

Philby

Used to do Bristol to North Leeds regularly for over 20 years. The best route is M5, M42, A42, M1.

Did the M5, M6, M62 route a few times but the junction of the M5/M6 was always a hold up and going round Manchester was also a pain.

BigJohn

If you’re on a chariot the Fosse Way will get you as far as Leicester.

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

If you’re on a chariot the Fosse Way will get you as far as Leicester.

This was the “time to spare” option, but not with a chariot.

SaxonRider

My mum lives north of Manchester and I live in Cardiff. I drove her home last week from my place, and it took 7.5 hours in total, most of which were spent sitting on the M6 looking down at Wednesbury.

Birming-hell is what it is known as in my house, entirely based on M6 traffic from there to Sandbach.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Birming-hell is what it is known as in my house, entirely based on M6 traffic from there to Sandbach.

Wednesbury isn’t in Birmingham 😉

darrell
    Free Member

M62/ M60 is hell – avoid at all costs

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Driving to Leeds from Bath on Sat -Which route?’ is closed to new replies.