Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Driving to cornwall today….
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Is it madness to set off at lunchtime…?

Obviously don’t want to be sat in traffic the whole time. The M5 is my main concern south of Bristol.

iDave
    Free Member

I always leave just after midnight, kids wake up parked on the beach.

Don’t see the point in crawling along in shit traffic.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is it from Liverpool?

M25 is shut, don’t know if that will knock on as far as the M5.

Night time driving for us too.

Bregante

It’s our turn next Saturday to make the same trip. I was considering leaving Friday night to stay at a travel lodge somewhere on the M5 then head out early from there but we are now having second thoughts because we will be towing our trailer full of camping gear and worried some thieving git might try to have it away!

trailmonkey

depends where you’re travelling from I guess but from most of the country, it will be motorway as far as Exeter, then dual carraigeway at best for the rest of the journey.
    in reality, most of the inbound traffic arrives on friday night or saturday afternoon so arriving around late afternoon/teatime into the peninsula isn’t a bad idea.
    are you taking the A30 or the A38 to the south coast ? A38 runs out of dual carraigeway almost as soon as you leave england so progress is slow at any time if you’re stuck behind a wagon or tractor.

Cheeks
    Free Member

Bulk of the traffic will be this morning but should ease this afternoon as they’re all going the other way. I drove to Falmouth from Devon last saturday afternoon for a job and didn’t get slowed once. Sunday afternoon to Hayle was the same. You may get abit at the A30 bottle neck at Bodmin moor if anywhere.

wallop

I thought there was no bottleneck at bodmin anymore? Seeing as they have built a bypass at victoria/Roche.

TooTall
    Free Member

You’ll probably get angry about it and tell us all about it.

Anything less and you’d not have your required levels of vitriol to post.

stgeorge

Is it madness to set off at lunchtime…?

Depends where from.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Saturday is far better than friday to get down south west. Certainly if you leave it till pm to go too.

Mind you, traffic will be higher than normal due to the school holidays.

jam-bo

I thought there was no bottleneck at bodmin anymore? Seeing as they have built a bypass at victoria/Roche.

It’s dual carriageway between Bodmin and Indian queens now but there are still a couple of single sections across Bodmin moor. Causes big tailbacks every weekend.

Dibbs
    Free Member

We drove back from Leeds to Taunton yesterday afternoon, the traffic was fine until Bristol, after that it tended to bunch up near every junction and then clear again. Northbound looked a nightmare, solid from Wellington to Weston-Super-Mare.
    I’d expect that most of the grockles will have already arrived by late afternoon. 😉

the-muffin-man

IME experience its driving out of cornwall that causes more problems – as everyone is kicked out of hotels and campsites early in the morning everyone tends to be on the roads at the same time.

FWIW we find using the A38 through Plymouth to be better as most people go on the A30.

loddrik
    Free Member

Think I’ll set off late afternoon now. The kids are straining at the leash to go early but tbh I can’t be bothered by the earache. It’s from Liverpool btw. I’ve done the journey so many times but always travelled overnight.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Unless you just set off and break it up with a stop for lunch and another one for something kid orientated? We did that last time when night time driving wasn’t an option, and went to Ostrich World as recommended on here. Was a long day, but at least it wasn’t a long day just sat in the car.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’ll probably get angry about it and tell us all about it.
    Anything less and you’d not have your required levels of vitriol to post.

Teh ironing.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

It’s very heavy on the A30 east to Exeter this morning – but didn’t look too bad going west. was quite busy going west yesterday evening so as said above quite a lot of traffic will have gone through already.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Driving to cornwall today….’ is closed to new replies.