Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Driving through France . Peage toll rates
  • singletrackmind

Hi
    Hoes anyone know for certain if the tolls are the same if you break your journey and leave the peage ?

So if you are driving to the Alps , and every 200 miles leave the Peage for a re-fuel and something nice to eat , then re join at more or less the same junction. Do you get penalised and pay a higher milage rate

The fuel is about 15% cheaper in supermarkets off Peage , so over 500 miles the saving is not insignificant. But if you have to pay a higher milage rate then the savings are mitigated.

Of course the way to do it is probably to drop off on one of the free or single cost sections , then rejoin but toilet breaks etc dont always fit with this .

Driven down through France many times and never found the answer

globalti
    Free Member

You are charged by section so I bet it’s the same.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s the same IME

To confirm, go to the viaMichelin site and plan a journey, then try it as 2 separate journeys

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

As above ^ …try at http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

wilburt
    Free Member

Unless your car is really juicy the fuel saving may not be that much, haven’t been for a while, what sort of price is it in France?

br
    Free Member

Be careful though, it use to be that sometimes (especially out-of-hours) you couldn’t use a standard credit card to pay for fuel, and needed a ‘French’ one.

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a Carrefour just off the Autoroute in Calais that had diesel at close to £1 per litre back in June so should be better now.

200 miles between fuel stops is motorcycle tank range, besides 200 miles will be covered in about 2.5 hours.
    I can fill up in Calais and make it to Geneva on one tankful

nealglover
    Free Member

The fuel is about 15% cheaper in supermarkets off Peage , so over 500 miles the saving is not insignificant

Less than £10 I would imagine in an average car.
    (And around £6 at 60mpg)

What are you driving that needs fuel every 2000 miles ?

We fill up in Calais and get to the Alps and a fair bit of the way back without refilling 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

I meant every 200 miles obviously 🙂

velomechanic
    Free Member

Coming back from the Alps in September we refuelled at the E. Leclerc hypermarket at Champfleury, just off the A4 CSR South of Reims. The peage charges for that section of the journey were €0.80 cheaper than if we’d done the same section without a stop. Might just be the case there though, as the they could be trying to encourage locals to use that stretch of autoroute. Today’s diesel price at Champfleury is €1.109, nearest on autoroute service station it’s €1.319.

singletrackmind

My Volvo would do the entire journey on 1 tank as its 15gall capacity even at 40mpg would be fine ( D5 )
    My brother has a Big Bang R1 that is rather more thirsty and needs fuel more often.
    Also done the journey in a Land Cruiser at 25mpg, and a Land Cruiser engined bus that did 20mpg.
    I also prefer to find smaller restaurants off the Peage as they do decent food for sensible money, especialy les routiers ones.
    Deisel is prob less than 1Eu /ltr now in Carrefour

boblo
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Be careful though, it use to be that sometimes (especially out-of-hours) you couldn’t use a standard credit card to pay for fuel, and needed a ‘French’ one.

Switch (debit) works fine in the 24hr pumps where UK credit cards don’t.

jota180
    Free Member

UK debit and credit cards work fine in all the Carrefour pumps I’ve tried

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I think the readers have improved in most places now. We got stuffed at an airport petrol station a few years back returning a hire car but haven’t had a problem for a few years now.

The food at French motorway services is much better than UK but we always just reroute to the nearest town when we’re hungry and it’s easy enough to find a decent bistro.

hofnar
    Free Member

As someone who passes a lot of time in France. Peage might be a bit cheper or expensive when leaving but no massive difference dpends on the spot. As per the bank card comments, its very rare now to only be able to fill up with a french card. There are quite some online retailers though who don’t accept foreign cards and paypall and cheque book is still king whilst in many other countries almost abolished.

timb34
    Free Member

All French card machines now accept UK and international cards (they used to only support the French B0′ cards but France has since moved to the EMV system used everywhere). So almost all Mastercard and Visa cards will be OK. Not every retailer takes Amex or Diners though.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Sae as above, there’s a ratty looking but cheap Carrefour that’s about 10 mins out of your way in Calais – my MO has always been to cross the channel with the fuel light on, fill up there and get my foot down to Morzine. Last time I managed to get to that little super market just outside Les Gets before I had to put more in.

I try to only stop once in France, I know you’re meant to take a break every two hours but I rarely feel tired and I just want get it over with.

jimoiseau
    Free Member

http://www.zagaz.com for French fuel prices. €1.092 cheapest for diesel (gazole) in Pas-de-Calais but €1.058 in Dunkirk.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Came across this on SnowHeads I think:
    saneftolling.co.uk
    For paying for the tolls automatically. I’m sure someone said it was cheaper too.

timb34
    Free Member

It’s not cheaper – you have to pay a small charge for the tag, then the peage costs are the same.

But you can save a lot of time. The reserved lanes at the tolls are set up so that you don’t even stop, you can just roll through at 30 km/h.

Mackem

Last week the French peages didnt like my visa debit card, but were ok with my visa credit card. Basically, make sure you take more than one card.

boblo
    Free Member

If you get a SANEF bippa, go to the SANEF site via the Eurostar site and the purchase price is cheaperer.

It’s more convenient and nice going through the lane reserved for special people 🙂

meribelmtb
    Free Member

The Sanef toll bipper is the same price for tolls and I think €3 for every month that you use the tolls but free when you don’t. They are worth their weight in gold during the winter when you get to bottle necks like Chambery, Albertville etc.

If you fuel up in Calais and drive to the Alps it is worth filling up in the valley bottom when you get to the Alps. That way you get fuel with an antifreeze additive which you might not get further north. Not a problem for the next few weeks I think but later on in the winter cars regularly freeze during cold snaps.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Driving through France . Peage toll rates’ is closed to new replies.