• This topic has 24 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Smee.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Driving Theory Test
  • tails
    Free Member

So I reckon its about time I looked at learning to drive, I did some lessons when I was 17 but didn't follow it through. My plan is to do the theory then maybe one of those intensive jobs reckon I'd pick up fewer bad habits that way, then possibly pass plus.

Anyway whats the deal with the theory, its got a lot harder I believe since my friends did theirs. So what is it 50 questions plus some hazard video? Are those CD roms like this the best way to learn.

sam_underhill

I recently (last year) did the theory test for my bike license, having been a car driver for 14 years. I recommend getting one of the books designed to teach you everything you need – they usually have all the questions as well. Then train yourself with one of the CDs which includes the hazard perception video. Seeing the hazard is one thing, knowing how to click properly to get top marks is another.

sam_underhill

It think I used this CD
    Amazon Driving test CD

and possibly one of the official driving DSA books to learn from (make sure you pick the most recent one)

GrahamS

I think I used the same CD as sam.

Definitely the best way to learn (I didn't bother with a book except the official Highway Code).

Just keep sitting the tests till you know them inside out.

(I got 100% on my theory 🙂 )

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The difficult bit is knowing when they want you to click for the hazard perception. Everything else is common sense.

phyncra
    Free Member

there are prob enough hazard perception tests online. They are absolutley ridiculous and you do need to practise them to pass. Whoever thought that learning to play a computer game was a valid way to teach people to learn to drive needs shooting!

The ones on the bill plant website have a password and username of billplant I think

tails
    Free Member

The difficult bit is knowing when they want you to click for the hazard perception. Everything else is common sense.

this reminds me, i think i had a go online about a year ago. Does it work that your not allowed to spot the granny from half a mile away.

GrahamS

Everything else is common sense.

My favourite question from the Theory Test:

When approaching a tunnel it is good advice to:

a) Put on your sunglasses
    b) Check tyre pressures
    c) Change to a lower gear
    d) Tune your radio to a local channel
    e) Open a window

tails
    Free Member

Thanks phyncra I got 17 out of 20, i like this one i got wrong.

To help protect the environment you should NOT

You answered: C

Correct answer: B

1. remove your roof rack when unloaded
    2. use your car for very short journeys
    3. walk, cycle, or use public transport
    4. empty the boot of unnecessary weight

i got a bit excited by the word cycle and environment, doh.

GrahamS

Gah! I hate negatives in questions: "Which of these shouldn't you not avoid doing.."

hels
    Free Member

Is there an online test you can do ? Nice.

I too am about to sit my motorbike test (leave the room now please George) and never actually sat the British theory test. I believe myself to be in big trouble, as the test in NZ was a joke, and I was 15 when I did it. I still have to ask people what road signs mean and I have been driving here for 15 years. I couldn't believe they just handed me a licence, mad DLCLSVAVLA fools that they are !

But I do know my stopping distances in kms.

GrahamS

I still have to ask people what road signs mean and I have been driving here for 15 years.

Yep, not uncommon if my experiences while learning with the missus are anything to go by:

"What's that sign mean?"
    "No idea."

"How about that one?"
    "Ummmm… yeah they probably won't ask you that."

🙄

Firmly entrenched my belief that everyone should have to do a basic re-test every five years or so – just to pick up bad driving habits and holes in knowledge.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The actual question side of it is so easy it is beyond belief! I did my motor bike test 2 years ago and got 100% in the questions, they are multiple choice FFS!!! The hazard perception is interesting! I found it hard but from a different perspective. Having completed an advanced driving course via the police you are taught that EVERYTHING is a hazard but if you press the button too often it thinks you are guessing and you get 0 marks!! HARD! Sure you'll be fine though.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I have found, through observation of a very small group of peers with no statistical significance, that people who do the intensive training manage to pass the test but not necessarily understand the driving in a sense, a bit like people who cram for exams and repeat answers parrot fashion but can't actually apply the theory 2 weeks later.

GrahamS

If anyone is interested by the way, the correct answer to the question above is "When approaching a tunnel you should: d) Tune your radio to a local channel".

The justification being that if there are any incidents in the tunnel then they will be reported on the radio. 😯

tails
    Free Member

that people who do the intensive training manage to pass the test but not necessarily understand the driving in a sense

yeah that was kinda my plan when i did driving lessons the first lesson i think i stalled once, the lessons there after much more so, plus that mirror bullshit where you have to move your head, rather than just your eyes.

So my plan was to try and pass by not picking up bad habits then do a pass plus to make sure i'm not a hazard.

Smee
    Free Member

You'll not really get many people that do intensive courses now.

As for the theory test – http://www.2pass.co.uk and http://www.adiforum.co.uk are good places to look.

Hels, if you need any help give me a shout.

As for the hazard perception test – click when you see a hazard then click again when it develops into something that would make you take action.

Kahurangi

The logic behind the Hazard Perception exercises is really quite simple.

1. Spot something that could develop into a hazard. CLICK! In real life you would be aware and watch out for something happening. Real life example. A car approaches the give way sign on a side street.

2. The something develops so that you have to take action. CLICK! In real life you will take necessary action to avoid an incident. Real life example: The car in the side street thinks he'll 'go for it' when there isn't space. You apply your brakes to avoid hitting him.

If you can't understand the idea behind looking out for hazards and being aware of things that could develop into a hazard the you should be a bus passenger, not a car driver.

Though a bit of practice with a CD ROM game won't help.

\patronism

tails
    Free Member

I would love to see the STW backseat drivers retake there theory or even practical, the only person who i would bet on passing is goan.

Smee
    Free Member

Tails – where are you based? 😉

zokes
    Free Member

I would love to see the STW backseat drivers retake there theory or even practical, the only person who i would bet on passing is goan.

I'd happily pay to see his reaction should he fail it!

Smee
    Free Member

zokes – that simply would not happen.

tails
    Free Member

I'd happily pay to see his reaction should he fail it!

😆

Tails – where are you based?

I'm in the lowlands of cambridge, which apparently has a high pass rate but they didn't bank on people like me.

tails
    Free Member

Actually goan do you know if the theory test is due to change anytime soon, as in do they change it every say 5 years.

Smee
    Free Member

It changed last year, so I dont think it'll be changing again any time soon. The practical test is due to change in the near\midterm though.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Driving Theory Test’ is closed to new replies.