• This topic has 130 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by poly.
Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)
  • Driving test age rise
  • nealglover
    Free Member

And it will kill more youngsters, as they’ll all get 2 wheelers. When you could have speed limited their cars.

Don’t know the stats on that, do you ?

Deaths caused by cars vs deaths caused by scooters per mile driven/ridden.

Speed limiting cars costs money, you seem concerned with costs.

poly
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Instead of using ad hom attacks why don’t you explain to me why this is a better policy than others I have mentioned.

Because it is a recommendation developed by people who have spent a long time studying the data and have no vested interest.

I would say that I agree with passengers not being allowed in with under 24s for 12 months…

ah ha! So its ok so long as it only affects those 2 yrs younger than you!

but not night time restrictions and increased costs.

night time restrictions might be one of the most important parts of the proposal; increased costs are not mandatory – you can’t blame the government because you are far from home and have no friends who are old enough and responsible enough to supervise your driving. That problem has presented itself to many young people over the years; including myself. Oddly we always found a way to (a) get some practice in OR (b) get the money for more lessons. It takes a little drive and determination.

Stoat would you rather your son cycled along dark country lanes to get to work, or drive?

whilst not directed at me, I occasionally have to make country road trips in the dark. I find that drivers are actually by-and-large* very respectful of my flashing hi-vis blob riding along. I’d rather ride most roads at 1 am than 5.30pm when everyone seems in a rush for their tea.

* the one definite exception to this rule is young drivers in small cars full of their mates racing around at 11pm.

Certainly limit the power of cars driven by the under 24s.

Unfortunately that doesn’t work – because even a 1L corsa has the potential to kill everyone in it when it hits a tree at 60 mph. Generally the bigger / better the car the more sophisticated the safety features which mean everyone might walk away!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Quick question before I reply to poly, how will young on call doctors who have just got their licenses get to hospital quickly late at night? I suppose we’ll just import more 30 plus filipino doctors. Or keep youngsters in university aka young adult day care centres until they are 30.

chewkw
    Free Member

The proposed new rule means younger people from the UK will be rendered uncompetitive in the job market/business that requires driving/traveling. Making a living will be much much harder if you are young.

Whoever are proposing this new rules really do not see the bigger picture …

Overseas young people will still drive happily in UK with international license while companies that need to employ driver will only employ them from other EU nations.

Therefore, it’s better to employ people with full driving license from other EU nations.

There you go another nail into our heads.

🙄

p/s: the amount of death from car accidents of 63.7 million UK population is rather irrelevant really …

sadmadalan

Excellent thread, full of passion and misleading arguements. As a dad with two sons of 21 & 19 who do drive, anything which helps reduce the risk of an accident is a good idea. As part of the deal that we made with them after they passed their driving tests was no driving after 10pm and no taking your mates in the car for 6 months.

Our test is not the most difficult to pass in Europe or the most expensive, so making it more difficult and/expensive to pass is not a good argument.

Any changes in the law will affect a small number of people more that others. Sadly that is just reality.

Saying that it was not fair that previous generations had it easier is just sad. We do not live in the past, we live in the present so deal with today. If you don’t like the rules that have been suggested then raise public opinion and get them changed. But to do this you will need to provide evidence of the impact and alternatives.

chewkw
    Free Member

sadmadalan – Member

Any changes in the law will affect a small number of people more that others.

In this case if this go ahead it will affect generations of young people because they will not be as mobile as they want.

🙄

ahwiles
    Free Member

for a few months.

compositepro
    Free Member

the answer is simpler but no where near as profitable

low cc lightweight foam rubber cars

poly
    Free Member

Tom_W1987 – Member
    Quick question before I reply to poly, how will young on call doctors who have just got their licenses get to hospital quickly late at night? I suppose we’ll just import more 30 plus filipino doctors. Or keep youngsters in university aka young adult day care centres until they are 30.

If having a full (not probationary) license is a prerequisite for the job then they will fit in the training at some point before they get to the end of their 5+ yrs of medical school and qualification. If they are smart enough to be doctors I’m sure they’ll be smart enough to work that out as a requirement for their career. Or of course they could do the same as doctors of my generation did when working 72 hr on call shifts and sleep in the hospital.

I’d be surprised if many doctors are currently finishing university without a driving license. I’m also not convinced that newly qualified doctors travelling in the middle of the night, with the stress of that job plus the pressure of getting to a patient, the likely fatigue of long hours and being inexperienced behind the wheel is really a good mix.

brooess
    Free Member

The Tories do seem to be coming out with some control-freaky policies. If we want young people to be better drivers then teach them to be better drivers – better skills, better attitude, greater sense of responsibility.
    Putting restrictions on how and when they can drive could well just drive up resentment and resistance, rather than grow understanding.
    A fair few older drivers could do with remembering they set an example to younger drivers too…
    We do need to sort out the self-entitled ‘I should be allowed to drive however and whenever I want and sod the costs to everyone else’ attitude.
    It kills 2000+ people a year and massively contributes to keeping kids from playing out in the street and the population at large riding bikes, which is also contributing to the 30k+ deaths per year from obesity-related causes

poly
    Free Member

brooess – Member
    The Tories do seem to be coming out with some control-freaky policies.

Is it a tory policy? It appears to be a TRL report. The TRL is intended to be a QANGO i.e. independent of direct political interference.

If we want young people to be better drivers then teach them to be better drivers – better skills, better attitude, greater sense of responsibility.

You didn’t read the report then. Here are a couple of quotes “No properly-evaluated [attitudes] intervention has demonstrated a reliable reduction in novice driver collisions” and “In those interventions that have been evaluated, some short-term positive effects have been shown on attitudes towards road safety, but these tend not to last beyond a few months, are not consistent, and do not guarantee safety benefits.”

You can’t legislate for attitudes.

I’m less concerned with the entitlement to drive attitude and more worried about the entitlement to work!

Viewing 11 posts - 121 through 131 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Driving test age rise’ is closed to new replies.