Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Driving: Privilege or Right
  • Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Kind of linking two good threads today .. the sports dopers and the driving testers

I sometimes wonder if we should have an upper limit on test attempts, or be a lot tougher on point/temp driving ban collectors. (I don’t think there is already is there or have I just made myself look a complete divvy?)

At some point surely someone should say .. sorry I just really don’t think so and so should be in charge of a ton+ of speeding metal, rubber and explosive fluids. Therefore you have to bike/bus/train for the rest of your life.

Now I understand that some of you on here could be ‘those people’, but at least through the media – I have no other way of knowing as I’m not in the law trade – you get the impression that too many people get too many chances, almost as if driving a car is a human right, i.e. the law isn’t allowed to permanently stop them from doing it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Privilege.

END OF THREAD.

mrmo
    Free Member

Privilege

nbt

Privilege

richmtb

Depends. I get what you are saying but its more complicated than that.

If you live in a city or large urban area then a car is not a basic human right, there are plenty of other ways of getting around. If you live in a rural area then not having access to a car can seriously effect your quality of life

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh go on then.

Right.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Privilege – But if you don’t give them a license then they will just drive without one and without insurance too!

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Ok

so any ideas at what point it should be taken away .. permanently, yeah ok 2 or 3 tests ( I passed 1st time, my wife passed 2nd) to get you eye in maybe but those that do 8 + are a little worrying (anyone remember that welsh lady on the telly in the lada/skoda from a decade ago?)

1 temp driving ban maybe dependant on the crime, but 2+ surely there’s something wrong there?

Jamie
    Free Member

Right*

*I’m a maverick.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

If you live in a rural are then not having access to a car can seriously effect your quality of life

So don’t live in a rural area then! Lifestyle choice; it’s not something that’s forced upon you.

Anyway, I have spoken, so once again dfor those what weren’t listening;

Privilege.

THREAD CLOSED.

tails
    Free Member

yeah it’s a right we need people mobile so a few traffic deaths are fine. Plus we are over populated!

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

If you live in the country there are ways around it, or you have to suffer the consequences and change your job. Wealthy gentleman farmer to county town Wetherspoons barstaff anyone?

mintimperial

Legally it’s a privilege, that’s why you have to have a license to do it, and it can be revoked if you don’t abide by the rules.

Practically, though, in the UK it’s now treated like a right that trumps pretty much everything else, including human life sometimes, sadly enough.

tails
    Free Member

Anyway the driving i theUK is tiptop have you ever been to South Korea, Thailand or Italy!

TimP
    Free Member

AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Elfin might be right?!? I think??

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

In classic sweepingstatementwold.com forum stylee I’m trying to encourage the ‘privilege’ guys to suggest a cut-off point!?

EDIT: I’m in the privilege crowd by the way, as you’ll see by my suggestions up there ^

philconsequence
    Free Member

insurance costs are turning it from a privilege to something only the privileged can afford to do.

i blame binners of course, and the north.

scuzz
    Free Member

So don’t live in a rural area then! Lifestyle choice; it’s not something that’s forced upon you.

FACT: Everyone is born in populated areas.
    😀

bikebouy
    Free Member

Right.

Nobody has the right to restrict freedom of movement.

TimP
    Free Member

Some more populated than others

eeeeewwwwww!!!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Elfin might be right?!?

About ‘Elfin might be right’; Elfin is right.

The sooner the World realises this, the sooner we’ll all be better off.

THREAD CLOSED!!!!!

FFS…. 🙄

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Privilege. And the standard should be higher, test harder, infringements punished more harshly.

But I had a thick boss once from Newcastle who swore that a car was an ‘essential’.

I told him essentials to me were food & water, and a roof over your head.

I love cars and driving BTW.

jon1973
    Free Member

Thread re-opened

AGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

Elfin might be right?!? I think??

I know. I’m scared too.

Thread Closed

DezB
    Free Member

It should be a privilege…

richmtb

So everyone should move to London so they can catch the bus!

uplink
    Free Member

Privilege or Right

Neither

It’s just something I can do when I want to

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

Nobody has the right to restrict freedom of movement.

Walking, Cycling, Bus, Taxi, Train

All worked for the first 27 years of my life some of which was semi-rural (edge of a village). I did pass driving test at 17 yrs but couldn’t afford 4 wheels, though I admit I was allowed to borrow the parents

EDIT that journey was 1/2 mile to bus stop, 5 miles on bus to Town/Train station

Have a car now – 4k miles last year. I live in a town centre now

emsz
    Free Member

hmmm, not sure, I don’t drive so opinion may not come to much, I sort of see that it’s a priviledge, but I can see the point about rural areas too. Unless you want huge areas of britain urbanized, then the rural world has to exist, and without cars/lorries/vans whatever, then milk’s not going to be delivered, cows/chickens/sheep not gonna get slaughtered.

It’s not that simple.

MrTall
    Free Member

Privilege, after failing your driving test for the 5th time you should be made to wait a few years before you can try again. Maybe 2/3 more attempts after that but if you still fail i’d suggest that for the good of other road users & pedestrians, it’d be better if they were not allowed to drive on public roads. Ideally i’d be stopping them after 3 attempts but realistically that’d never happen.

‘Maureen’ from driving school was a classic example of a person who has no business being trusted to drive a car on the road. People like her are great to laugh at until until they plough into a bus stop full of kids and pensioners…..

tails
    Free Member

So everyone should move to London so they can catch the bus!

You can drive in London, but you have to be 8 quid + Then there is parking and your fancy sandwich and before you know it your wage has vaporized!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Whatever the form of transport,

No one has the right to restrict freedom of movement IMO.

IanMunro
    Free Member

With me it’s more a liability than a privilege.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

The rural world will still exist.

Not everyone are appalling drivers .. not everyone will need to be banned for life.

Just those that consistently veer from the rules, or cannot cope with the pressure of day to day driving will have to adapt their lifestyle.

29erKeith
    Free Member

A privilege earned, and the standards need to be higher than they are imo too

I know my mother in-law took her test a dozen times to pass. I’ve only ever been in a car with her driving once, never again!!

If you ever see here driving and wave/flash lights, walking or in another car, she’ll never see you because she can’t see anything past the patch of road directly in front of her bonnet.

She should not be driving imho

aracer
    Free Member

I agree with elfin, so I’ll pick another occasion to prove he’s not always right.

sweepy
    Free Member

Our dependance on cars is already killing people, why single out those that drive dangerously.

DaRC_L

About ‘Elfin might be right’; Elfin is right.
    The sooner the World realises this, the sooner we’ll all be better off.

I can see you and me wife coming to blows….

No one has the right to restrict freedom of movement IMO.

Ever heard of Shank’s pony?

scuzz
    Free Member

Minimise the discrepency between examiners & test routes such that the test is standard.
    The only logical step is to cull all the examiners and replace them with robots, with a simulated test instead of the real world. Obvious, really.

I blame the lack of education leading & class divides. Tory scum. Bankers.

D0NK

Whatever the form of transport,

No one has the right to restrict freedom of movement IMO.bollox no one is restricting right to travel they’re restricting type of travel, if your chosen method of travel endangers other people you can’t do it. Apparently I’m not allowed to fly my helicopter from my back yard to the patch of grass outside work, it’s a bloody travesty I tell you!

Troll? Pretty sure I’ve seen similar from you previously BB

grunty
    Free Member

I say privilege.

“No one has the right to restrict freedom of movement IMO. “

No ones freedom is being restricted, you just cannot move around in a motor vehicle operated by yourself. Nothing stopping you going in another motorised vehicle, bicycle or shank’s pony.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Driving: Privilege or Right’ is closed to new replies.