• This topic has 46 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by ReallyOlderGit-spam.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • driving on the continent – hints and tips?
  • totalshell

driving on the wrong side in a car is a piece of cake seems natural after 30 minutes.. the iffy bit id riding on the wrong side on a motorbike after 3 months doing a continental tour on my bike i got home and could’nt for the life of me work out which side of the road to ride on…

Hairychested
    Free Member

No need to worry, get off the ferry, drive behind the guy in front. You’ll get used to being kerb-side. Driving in Belgium is dodgy, think a place full of learners without instructors.
    Oh, do obey the speed limits. Might be expensive otherwise.

ianv
    Free Member

There are no tolls on the Northern French Motorways till Valancienne (way past the turn off to Brugge).

When you get to the end of the duel carriageway into Brugge (just past the Greenpeace building) turn right and then left, there is a big car park by the police station. Do not get stuck in the town centre one way system as it will be grid locked and you will waste loads of time. Brugge is small you can walk everywhere once you are parked up. this info wont work for saturdays though as the carpark gets used for the local market.

molinifreeride
    Free Member

While you are in Belgium go to Ghent, far better than Bruges. Bruges is what chocolate box designers think Belgium is like, Ghent is the real thing. It’s historic with just as many canals etc but vibrant as its a University city too. loads of bars & cafes and plenty of bike racing. Dump the car and use the trams or just walk / bike. Our bike team had an apartment there and it was ace.

Wozza
    Free Member

I picked up the Co-Pilot euro pack for my phone and found the whole thing much less stressful. Didn’t really need it since Brugge is very easy to navigate too but if anything a little reminder picture of what to do at the junctions was useful.

Brugge is small you can walk everywhere once you are parked up. this info wont work for saturdays though as the carpark gets used for the local market.

I parked at the train station, it was 2.50 euro for 24hrs.

Rubber_Buccaneer

As above, parking at the train station is plentiful & inexpensive. Bruges is very restricted for parking unless you already have a space at your hotel.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not that it concerns the OP but I find the German Autobahn very annoying and worse than the UK motorways.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘driving on the continent – hints and tips?’ is closed to new replies.