Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • driving on antidepressants. (fluxotine)
  • bigyim
    Free Member

Been prescribed these by the quack for depression but reading the side effects it says it slows your reaction times and to check with your doctor about driving.
    Does anybody have any experience of taking this and it’s side effects? I’m going to avoid it for now until I know I’m safe to drive. The doctor or pharmacist didn’t mention anything about driving.

ste_t
    Free Member

I recently had an employee taking this. The drug made her incredibly volatile and in between hysterical crying she would have bouts of smashing things.

In my incredibly limited opinion, driving would not be a good idea.

jon1973
    Free Member

The advice on the NHS website

You should see how this medicine affects you before you judge whether you are safe to drive or operate machinery.

Swelper
    Free Member

Been there. Depends on the dosage. And the side effect differ from person to person. When I was prescribed I was whacked out for a week or two, your body needs to adjust to this and did in my case. Any side effects subside after 3 / 4 weeks. Don’t drive if your it comfortable doing so.

Hope this helps

iolo
    Free Member

Take them. If you feel drousy stop driving,
    Another tip if you’re depressed-stop reading side effects.The doctor is not trying to kill you.

Speshpaul

i wouldn’t worry too much.
    if you feel ok to drive without then once you’ve had a week or so to settle down.
    From my own experiance you get a fairly chunky dose to begin with, which will zone you out for for a week or so, then they will ease back.
    some people struggle with this, but it was well explained to me.

if you want to talk off line mail me paul.sal at btinternet.com

Oh not all the side effects are bad, one is quite handy if you are getting some.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

ive been on anti depressants most of my life and found them fine , its just the first couple of weeks are the worst so if you feel you shouldnt drive then dont for a short while 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

I’ve taken fluoxetine quite a few times. It makes me sleepy and a bit dizzy for a week or so and then I feel great, really alert.

footflaps

Everyone reacts differently to them, so I’d just try them and make your own call. NB With something like 13m prescriptions a year for SSRIs, you’d be surprised how many people are on them….

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

I Mtb whilst using them and I,m still here(I think).Only very noticeable side effects I have is when I forget to take them.If you trust your Doc and he or she are experienced,take them.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Pharmacy employed girlfriend says yes its fine but its up to you to determine if you feel comfortable doing it.

GJP
    Free Member

It gave me a limp dick, but my driving was fine. I didn’t stay on it long 😆

PiknMix
    Free Member

The first few days you might feel squiffy, if you do then don’t drive. You will be on such a low starting dose that I doubt you will have any issues.

bigyim
    Free Member

I have to drive 2 hours a day. That’s my main concern. I’m not overly keen on the idea of taking them to be honest. I’m concerned about the side effects and what happens when you stop taking them

Speshpaul

I have to drive 2 hours a day. – work? ask the doc to sign you off.
    I’m concerned about the side effects – i think we’ve covered off the general stuff, you’ll feel a bit wizzy and detached for a few days.
    what happens when you stop taking them – you don’t just stop you reduce. its not heroin, you won’t he boarding you self in with a selection of buckets.

Generally speaking people take SSRI’s as they allow them chance to feel better and then get their shit in order and succeed.

garage-dweller

Are they a notifiable drug to the dvla?

Check dvla website as its pretty helpful on such things

bigyim
    Free Member

The doctor did offer to sign me off work but as I don’t get paid for time off work its not really an option.

footflaps

No

Every day 100,000s of people on SSRI get up and drive to work without any problems. Worldwide, millions.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

our cats are on it, they still can’t drive well but I don’t think it’s the drugs.

footflaps

In the UK alone there are 13 million prescriptions a year for anti-depressants (not including mikewsmith’s cats).

Staggering number.

So if there was even a minor issue we’d all know about it.

garage-dweller

No
    Every day 100,000s of people on SSRI get up and drive to work without any problems. Worldwide, millions.

Fair dos just wondering based on the side effects quoted and the biblically long list of notifiables I waded through a couple of years back while being tested for a sleep disorder that would have not dissimilar symptoms to those side effects listed by the op.

footflaps

side effects

Pretty much any drug lists drowsiness as a possible side affect as someone, somewhere will probably get it.

As with anything just use common sense, if you feel drowsy (for any reason) don’t drive…..

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘driving on antidepressants. (fluxotine)’ is closed to new replies.