Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Driving in the dark
  • GrahamS

Pretty dark and foggy round Edinburgh last night, so I had the headlights and foggies on.

Got through the fog, turned off the foglights and was suddenly left travelling at 70mph in pitch darkness as my headlights went with them!

Can't say I recommend that experience. 😯

Checked the fuses at lunchtime and they seem fine, so presumably both bulbs blew simultaneously(?!??)

CountZero

Yowza! That's scary.

thomthumb
    Free Member

stealth driving – used to engage in quite a bit of this in my teenage years!!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

Sounds unfortunate and extremely unlikely, not fun!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Has anyone ever done the 'see how long you dare close your eyes for' when driving trick?

Not that I have. Ahem.

porterclough
    Free Member

When I was a teenager a mate had an old Cortina Mk 2 which had lights that sometimes blinked out for a bit without warning, usually on the way back down some country lane from a pub (my mate wouldn't have drunk anything) – we'd all be sat there shouting out which way we thought the next bend went, which I'm sure he found a great help…

Keva
    Free Member

when we were kids – 17-18yrs old and had not been driving long, on several occassions some of my mates sat in the back of the car thought it really funny to cover the drivers eyes with their hands.

we also used to do the driver has his eyes shut and some else shouts left/right, speed up, slow down, brake etc.

😯 🙄

jon1973
    Free Member

Has anyone ever done the 'see how long you dare close your eyes for' when driving trick?

Ah! the old 1…2…3…4….CRASH!!!! trick.

zokes
    Free Member

And to think all the fuss you lot make about drink driving and/or speeding…

MikeG

There is a road over the south downs between Steyning and Worthing that when I was 18-19 I used to be able to drive with no lights at about 50mph. I'd never try it on a road I didn't know really well though.

molgrips
    Free Member

A friend of a friend thought he was Mr Clever driving around at night at high speeds on single track country lanes, with his lights off. His theory was that if someone was coming around a bend, he'd see their lights and slow down.

Then one night he crashed into someone coming the other way doing the same thing. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAF***ING HA!

zokes
    Free Member

Karma can be quite swift sometimes…

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I was followed by a stealth car over the snake pass one night. It was mildly worrying and spooky. One minute he was right up behind my car with the lights on…then he just disapeared. It was suprisingly difficult to see him without his lights on.

iDave
    Free Member

we people i know, used to race on irish country lanes with no lights so we they could see any cars coming. Also flicking lights off approaching cross roads so there was no need to lift off. So I remember I'm told

derek_starship
    Free Member

I had a Ford Capri MKIII I that I used to drive off cliffs in. It was ace.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I had an orange Dodge Charger that I used to drive off broken bridges a lot.

johnners
    Free Member

No, but I was doing something similar on a footpath in Yorkshire the other weekend.

Some bloke coming the other way with a humungous pushchair got properly arsey about it.

Lifer
    Free Member

Win for Johnners!

crazy-legs

There's a road in the South Lakes with special glowing catseyes, they actually have their own little white LEDs rather than reflectors. Driving down there one night about midnight with a mate, we turned the lights off and justfollowed the little trail of white dots, it was like driving through a weird video game. 🙂

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i passed my test yesterday afternoon. got home, insured myself as a fully licensed driver on the car i use and went for a wee drive.

stopped off at the library to do some work, by the time i'd left the fog came in pretty darn thick – as thick as i've seen it in st andrews.

had to do my 2nd solo drive ever, in the dark, in super thick fog.

scared the bejeezus out of me!! don't think i got much above 15mph… (rest of the traffic was similarly slow though…)

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I'm 18…hate driving in the dark, avoid it where at all possible (was much better until an incident involving a small ditch and a bush on a dark and cold night).
    One night…had to drive 50 miles in the snow, on country roads in the dark. Took several hours. I nearly stopped halfway and got someone to come and pick me up.
    So no driving with eyes closed for me!

avdave2

Many years ago I had a Golf and on one drive from Brighton up to Southend in the early hours of the morning it decided it was full beam or nothing. So driving up cross country I'd have to dip the lights at the last moment and rely on the oncoming cars headlights as a guide as to where to steer. Scary for me but I can't help thinking it frightened the on coming drivers even more.

If I haven't used full beam on the current car for a while the contacts get dirty and there can be a few seconds delay between the normal beam going off and the full beam coming on.

iDave
    Free Member

pretty sure women's night vision is different (perhaps 'inferior') to men's

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Why were you driving at 70mph with fog lights on? If it's foggy enough to necessitate fog lights, you should be limiting your speed to at least half that.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

You need some Lucie's😉 (about a minute into the vid)

I've been sat in the commanders (passengers) seat (not wearing them) hacking round the same circuit in blackout mode! (It's off the public highway I hasten to add!) Bloody scary!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some bloke coming the other way with a humungous pushchair got properly arsey about it.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

🙂

GrahamS

Why were you driving at 70mph with fog lights on? If it's foggy enough to necessitate fog lights, you should be limiting your speed to at least half that.

two reasons:

1) it was foggy over the Forth and near Edinburgh, down to a few metre viz on the bridge, where I did an appropriately reduced speed. As I headed along the M8 to Weegieland the fog got lighter, my speed increased and I turned the foggies off.

2) if you did 35 on the M8 you'd soon get a lorry in your boot!

Anyways quick trip to Halfords, new bulbs, all sorted.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Stuart Dangerous was riding back from Aboyne in a pea souper. He had no lights on his bike but could just see the white centre lines. At one point he felt this whooshing feeling that nearly knocked him off his bike. Next night while relating he story, it turned out another rider travelling in the opposite direction had experienced exactly the same thing.

samuri
    Free Member

There's a road in the South Lakes with special glowing catseyes, they actually have their own little white LEDs rather than reflectors

Aye, there's a few roads near us that have those, they're way cool.They have little solar panels on the tops to charge them up by.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Driving in the dark’ is closed to new replies.