Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Driving in France what do I need?
  • I_Ache
    Free Member

I have never done this before so please help with a couple of questions.

I have GB number plates do I need a sticker too?

I think I need hi vis jackets for me and the wife do the kids need them too?

Do I need a spare bulb kit?

Do I need a warning triangle?

Im assuming the light dimmers are a sensible addition and maybe a legal one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Google not working for you?

thejesmonddingo

You need the spare bulb kit,warning triangle,light deflectors,only one hi-viz top,and you shouldn’t need a sticker with GB plates.
    Ian

emac65
    Free Member

A – No
    B – yes & to be kept inside the car, not in the boot
    C – Yes
    D – yes & a first aid kit(halfords do a complete kit,triangle,first aid kit,light deflectors & GB sticker,might be a high vis in there too)

All passengers in the car need a high vis vest as well now.

allthepies
    Free Member

Presumably all these rules are to allow the French police to trap and fine British holidaymakers and the French themselves ignore them all ?

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.rac.co.uk/driving-abroad/france/
    If you’re driving in France you’ll need:

A valid, full UK driving licence – both the photo card and paper counterpart
    A GB sticker clearly displayed on the back of your car – unless your car has ‘Euro-plates’ (number-plates that show a circle of 12 stars on a blue background)
    Your motor insurance certificate
    Headlamp converters (stickers you put on your headlights when you’re driving on the right, so your lights don’t dazzle motorists coming the other way)
    A warning triangle and reflective jacket for use if you break down or have to pull over to change a wheel or deal with any other problems. If you don’t have these, you could be fined around €90
    You must also:

Be 18 or over
    Wear your seatbelt at all times (this applies to everyone in the car)
    Wear a crash helmet if you’re riding a motorcycle
    It’s a good idea to have:

Spare bulbs for your car’s external lights
    A fire extinguisher
    A first aid kit
    A Green Card – it’s a useful back-up to your motor insurance documents and shows you’ve got the minimum legal level of cover. If you’d like to find out more, contact your insurance company
    A Camping Card International to give you additional proof of identity, third party liability insurance, plus discounts at a wide range of campsites and tourist attractions. Find out more here
    Other things you should know:

You’ll have to pay motorway tolls – often these are automated barriers, so take plenty of change
    It’s illegal to carry any radar detection equipment, whether or not it’s switched on
    Petrol, diesel and LPG are readily available at most filling stations. You can also find lead replacement petrol (LRP) – it’s called ‘supercarurant’
    Children under 10 can’t travel in the front seat
    The speed limit is 50kph in towns, 80-100kph on open roads and 110-130kph on motorways
    If you’re caught speeding, you could be given a hefty on-the-spot fine and your car and licence could be confiscated there and then
    The drink-driving limit is 50mg of alcohol per 100ml of blood – lower than the UK limit of 80mg per 100ml
    You should only use your horn in an emergency
    If you want the car in front to give way, flash your headlights
    In built-up areas, if there’s no yellow diamond sign, you must give way to any cars coming out of a side turning on the right
    The last car in a queue of slow-moving traffic must use their hazard lights as a warning

glenh
    Free Member

Personally I use a car for driving about in. Never bothered with any of that other stuff.

emac65
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    Presumably all these rules are to allow the French police to trap and fine British holidaymakers and the French themselves ignore them all ?

Actually we found the complete opposite the year before last,they were stopping all the French cars & checking,but letting everyone else carry on…

easygroove
    Free Member

try here for more info
    http://tinyurl.com/b9fjqc

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Hiviz should be accessible from the inside of the car, and put on before getting out of the vehicle. I’ve read somewhere that anyone who gets out the vehicle on a hardshoulder situation should wear one, so we’ve got three, one each. They don’t cost a lot and can also be used for cycling in poor light conditions in the UK, bonus!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You might want to get one of those ‘foreign driving glove’ thingies from off of the Dragon’s Den.

1: Foreign driving glove
    … a single, solitary glove, to be worn by drivers in foreign countries so they can remember what side of the road they should be on. If you’re driving on the right, then you wear it on your right hand. Simple and brilliant, don’t you think?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Driving in France what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.