Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)
  • Driving in flip flops
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

In Iceland, driving a motorised vehicle whilst wearing flip flops is illegal.

irc

And like I also said at the beginning of the thread, they changed my world..
    Like half the population of New Zealand, I climbed mountains in them, went clubbing, drove hundreds and hundreds of miles, worked, rested and played in them.. I liked them so much I brought them home..

World changing flip flops? Needs pictures.

Olly
    Free Member

Amazed this has made it to page 4.

Not really a question of whether you can or cant, should or shouldn’t.
    Driving barefoot is safer and easier (imo) and more comfortable, flip flops take a second to kick off.
    Just kick them off :s

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Is it right that the reports from Silverstone are true? They are saying that Hamilton ballsed up the start because he’s wearing flipflops. His decision was based on reports here from the driving gods that only the best drivers can wear flipflops.
    Unfortunately it failed on this occasion, but Hamilton is sure that his decision is correct and will be proven correct as the race progresses.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m going to have to bow out of the debate at this point I’m afraid.. I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m mainly up against petrolheads and driving enthusiasts.. not a group renowned for their intellectual prowess 😆

First rule of pro level inane internet debate: I refer you to George Carlin’s famous quote on the subject

World changing flip flops? Needs pictures.

I did say that they changed my world.. It’s not very big 🙂

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’m mainly up against petrolheads

I don’t drive, or have a license 😛

trail_rat
    Free Member

It shows gofasterstripes. 🙂

Dont run across the road in your flip flops either they might fall off and you trip.

Flip flops are a menace to society……

Buy crocs. Much safer

andyl
    Free Member

I think the answer has to be for people to use common sense and if your foot doesnt feel as secure on the pedal while wearing flip flops then don’t do it. It’s basic risk assessment that one should carry out automatically without even realising it.

Sadly a lot of people lack common sense.

There is not a lot of difference between flip flops and a lot of foodwear women wear and also are things like high heals safe?

Personally I have not had a problem driving in flip flops in the past but I prefer keeping a pair of trainers in the car for driving, partly as it feels more secure but also in case there is an accident as then I am wearing something far more sensible.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

….but I have driven, a hundred hours or so.

I have also been advised by a driving instructor not to drive in flipflops. When I met him for the first time, I was wearing a pair,and we made a joke out of it. I wear them a lot, on and off the bike.

I would say overall they would increase the likelyhood of having an accident related to proper control of the pedals, especially in an emergency situation. I have described some way in which this is possible, and would say that either secure moderately sized footwear or perhaps bare feet would be statistically safer than flipflops.

Am I wrong?

I’m curious, please explain if you can be bothered.

From your last post I suppose you’re saying it doesn’t make much difference and life is too short etc etc, which is OK I guess, I just seem to take it more seriously for whatever reason.

I probably just need to go on a bike ride 🙂

partly as it feels more secure but also in case there is an accident as then I am wearing something far more sensible.

Seems like something I would do!

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Well that was easy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Pretty common in Oz. Mind, so is auto transmission. Personally I don’t like driving in thongs. Size 13 and sandy / wet beach feet makes things uncomfortable for me. When you have to move your feet from one pedal to another in an emergency situation just adds risk.

Matt_SS_xc

Often drive in flip flops, feels safer than barefoot. I thought barefoot was illegal!?!

Riding fixed in flip flops…..that felt bonkers!

DezB
    Free Member

sorry to bump, but i was just about to drive to my mum’s and i had me flip flops on.
    So,i googled
    “highway code footwear”

One of the links was from the IAM saying don’t wear em. I think they are the authority on proper driving in the Uk. They know a damn site better than the numpties on here anyway.
    so I’ve put trainers on even though I have an auto.
    🙂

piemonster

IAM = Institute of Advanced Morons?

bearnecessities

International Advocates of Moccasins.

This thread’s clearly still got legs.

I don’t need a coat *closes door*

tenfoot

Corny

bigyinn
    Free Member

I can drive in flip flops, I have driven in flip flops, I dont like driving in flip flops.
    They arent as secure and my feet move around in them too much for me not to be certain that they wont get caught or fall off.
    I drive barefoot quite happily, I’ll wear pretty much ANY footwear to drive in these days, except flip flops and bike shoes.
    I might be a spanner in the eyes of some, but I couldnt care less. I’d rather know that my feet arent going to get tangled up down there whilst propelling 1.5 tonnes of steel.
    I’ve got size 12 feet, so there isn’t much room anyway.

DezB
    Free Member

excellent thread summary bigyinn 🙂

bearnecessities

Just wanted to add a footnote.

aracer
    Free Member

Not all flip-flops are created equal. I have a TNF pair which I’m very happy to drive in, and do so regularly. The sole is thicker and stiffer and they have far more substantial straps than the cheap ones, so the sole isn’t about to fold and they’re not about to fall off my feet. I don’t think I’d want to drive wearing standard cheap flip-flops with flimsy straps and floppy soles.

I’ll also happily ride a uni wearing my TNF flip-flops, which isn’t something I’d do wearing leather soled shoes, and wouldn’t choose to do wearing some running shoes – yet people are happy to drive in those…

I won’t drive in bike shoes with cleats though – normally I have flip-flops in the car to change into, but otherwise bare feet is preferable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

While driving to a bbq yesterday but before i left my private road…..i tried my hardest get my flip flop stuck….even deliberatly taking my foot half out and traping it behind the brake…..

It just flopped round the brake pedal back onto my foot…l

How ever i struggled to heel toe and make good progress while doing scandinavian flicks everywhere in my octavia.

Perhaps thats why we are getting so het up , i know the minimum car you need on here is at least the vrs spec , nothing else cuts the mustard.

tillydog
    Free Member

I can drive in flip flops, I have driven in flip flops, I have had an accident* because of flip flops. I will no longer drive in flip flops.

*Reversing car at walking pace on a camp site to park near my mate’s car. Lifted foot off accelerator to apply brake, only to find flip flop hooked under pedals and unable to move foot to brake. Sufficient momentum to coast into said mate’s car. Bent metal and broken lights. Extremely embarassing, but could have been a lot worse.

Kids: Just say No!

Will happily drive barefoot.

piemonster

Perhaps thats why we are getting so het up , i know the minimum car you need on here is at least the vrs spec , nothing else cuts the mustard.

Oh shit!

I drive an Up!

sharkbait
    Free Member

I think there must be a difference between cheap, thin flip flops that just waggle around loosely on your feet and good quality ones that have a thicker sole and tend to fit better/tighter.
    I always pay more for good ones (such as Teva) and they feel much more comfortable and ‘fitted’, therefore feeling more secure for driving.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

So. In conclusion….

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dont buy shit fiting footwear an use common sense.

Carry on as normal for most of us – for those incapible of judging how well their shoes fit. You should stay at home and not venture out side for safetys sake

Mister-P
    Free Member

I drive in flip flops but sometimes I slip them off and drive barefoot while I’m using the inbuilt bottle opener to crack another Stella open.

DezB
    Free Member

I always pay more for good ones (such as Teva) and they feel much more comfortable and ‘fitted’

You guys kill me 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I just found it an amusing vindication of my point that someone had had exactly the accident I predicted 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 121 through 149 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Driving in flip flops’ is closed to new replies.