Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)
  • Driving in flip flops
  • tenfoot

Yay or nay?

Feels unsafe to me, but lots of people do it.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Lots of people think it’s ok to drive while talking on the mobile phone.

cinnamon_girl

Wearing flipflops when not on a beach nor in the privacy of one’s back yard should be a punishable offence.

HTH

parkesie
    Free Member

Lots of people are idiots.

yunki
    Free Member

I only started wearing flip flops in march this year at the ripe old age of 41..
    It was on holiday in nz and I did a lot of driving in them..
    The flip flops have stayed since I got back and it feels weird driving in shoes now..

It’s not a stupid thing to do, millions of women around the world drive every day in flip flops and all sorts of other footwear..
    Get over yourselves 😆
    You’d have to be pretty damn incompetent for flip flops to affect your driving

jambourgie
    Free Member

Seems weird, why not just ‘flip’ them off and drive barefoot? I love driving barefoot.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Feels a whole lot safer than driving in cycling shoes for the first time in ages the other week, just something you get used to?

timber

Not so great in the tractor, tend to fall off when jumping out the cab.

zippykona

How Charlie in his flip flops beat off Uncle Sam I have no idea. I can just about walk to the pool in mine.

fasthaggis

Flip Flops..Don’t do it kids

grahamt1980

Not while driving. Take them off and drive barefoot. Too much risk from them getting caught for me to wear mine

loddrik
    Free Member

Always drove in flip flops. No different for me than driving in normal trainers. Unless I’m on the bike, flip flops are pretty much all I wear from June to September.

Only drive automatics though which is probably a bit easier in flip flops.

hanchurch
    Free Member

I take them off and drive barefoot.

Bregante

Flip flops are pretty much all I wear from spring to autumn when I’m not at work or on the bike. Wearing some Haibanas Brazilia ones right now. Off to a party later and I can’t decide whether to keep these on or go with the classic white ones… Either way I’ll be driving there wearing them. Feels perfectly normal.

chewkw
    Free Member

Most people drive in flip flops in the far east. 🙄

parkesie
    Free Member

About one in three motorists admits to having worn the flimsy summer sandals while at the wheel, contributing to 1.4 million near misses, usually as a result of the flip flop getting trapped underneath a pedal. Flip flops are not the only culprits however. While 51% of survey respondents admit to struggling to drive in them, 49% also claimed difficulty behind the wheel, with bare feet, wedge heels, espadrilles and sandals in general.

Think of the children.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

And how many had difficulties driving in shoes?

yunki
    Free Member

**** hell there’s some morons around

sharkbait
    Free Member

Exactly what Loddrik said.

parkesie
    Free Member

A quick google of car accidents due to foot wear throws up flip flops sandals high heals and ugg boots and big winter boots. Not much of my trainers or sensible shoes caused me to crash.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

It’s not a stupid thing to do, millions of women around the world drive every day in flip flops and all sorts of other footwear..

Are you a woman now ?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

I drive a 44 ton artic for a living,last week whilst in the office another driver phoned in.He’d been in a RTA,car ran into the back of his trailer at a set of lights.Reason for the accident? Woman driver got her flip flops stuck on the pedal,at least she ran into a loaded trailer & not something / someone more vulnerable 😯

parkesie
    Free Member

Increased stopping distances and increased risk of catching and slipping on pedals. Perfectly legal and im sure many people have no problems at all. But all it takes is one foot slip or trapped flip flop and it can all go wrong.

bruneep

RTC no such thing as a RTA.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I take mine off and drive barefoot. Never had a problem driving in flip flops but I like barefoot in general.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

For the pedant,she drove her car into the rear of the trailer

doug_basqueMTB.com

Driving in a tunnel in the BasqueMTB van and trailer with a guest following in their car a couple of years ago. Suddenly they accelerate, swerve out and overtake into the path of an oncoming truck. Me and the truck lock up and we narrowly avoid a three way accident at 60mph through luck as we all did exactly the right thing in relation to the other cars. Pure luck as is was too fast for thinking. Cause? Their flip flop got trapped on the accelerator some way. I never drive in flip flops any more.

yunki
    Free Member

I still reckon these people must be morons.. Morons that happen to be wearing flip flops

nickjb
    Free Member

I still reckon these people must be morons.. Morons that happen to be wearing flip flops

I’ll agree with that. They are choosing to drive while wearing flip flops. Morons.

jamj1974

Sorry to the people who do it but driving in flip flops is just cretinous.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m guessing that the naysayers, as well as looking at very dodgy data and saying ‘oh it must be true because look, numbers’ without actually stopping to apply any thought to whether those numbers actually mean anything, as well as being cretinous and moronic enough to misinterpret data in a bid to support your duff argument, I’m guessing you also are shit drivers who don’t wear flip flops..

So talking out your arses

sharkbait
    Free Member

Increased stopping distances and increased risk of catching and slipping on pedals.

Why? Please enlighten me as to why flip flops mean your car cannot stop as quickly – do they stop you applying as much pedal pressure? No.
    Slipping on pedals? Never had that, again why should a flip flop slip off a pedal more than another shoe? I would have thought a shiny leather shoe would be worse and that’s before we start talking about walking in show/ice before driving.

bearnecessities

I can barely walk in flip flops, let alone drive in them. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Driving barefoot is dirty. I have done this 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

why should a flip flop slip off a pedal more than another shoe?

You really need this spelling out?

sharkbait
    Free Member

yes please…. is the underside of a flip flop more slippery (which is what I’m talking about)?

bearnecessities

Are you just being a naughty pedant? 😀

Anything that can get in the way of a pedal is the issue and a flip flop has potential to deliver more than downward pressure, plus it’s larger than the silhouette of a normal shoe….or a sexy naked foot.

That’s about it I think.

parkesie
    Free Member

Foot coming out of flip flop pedals getting between flip flop and foot when moving between pedals. Reduced braking distance due to time it takes to move feet between pedals with flip flop stuck.

fasthaggis

Some people are awesome,they can drive in anything from fluffy slippers to ski boots.

Then there are some people that really shouldn’t be driving.
    They only just sneaked through the test ,and wearing anything other than sensible footwear just makes them an accident waiting to happen.

😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

why should a flip flop slip off a pedal more than another shoe?

It doesn’t, but that’s not the issue. It’s the security of fit between the flip flop and the foot that is the issue.

yunki
    Free Member

What planet are you on?

You’ve got to be seriously retarded to fail to operate a **** flip-flop competently..

Seriously.. Seriously.. I’ve mastered the technique to pilot a hurtling piece of motorised heavy machinery, but somehow I struggle with the most basic design of footwear!!?

Pffffffft

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Driving in flip flops’ is closed to new replies.