• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by juan.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Driving in Europe.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll be driving across France, Belgium, Holland and Germany next month. Any silly/stupid/unusual laws? Leaving UK early, ferry from Dover, motorway travel in a regular car. With a family (kid just over 2 years old), don't know if it makes any difference.
    I've been told in France you MUST have a hi-viz vest on you in a car at night. Really?
    Any more novelties?
    Help appreciated.

firestarter
    Free Member

only ones i can remember is you must have warning triangle first aid kit and gb sticker. Vest is to wear at night in event of breakdown etc not when driving lol. Just remember cash for any tolls. Cant think of owt else but not been for a while but used to live in germany and make the trip regular

falkirk-mark

The AA website has info for all European countries. If I was any good on a puter I could post a link but I am not so you will need to look yerself

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Smee
    Free Member

The FCO have all the info you need.

izakimak
    Free Member

Yes you do have to have a high viz vest for each person in the car, put them in view on the parcelshelf that way the french rozzers can see them, they are keen on stopping jonny foreigner to check, you also need spare bulbs and a warning triangle.

For more info:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/general_advice.html

steveh

You must have hi viz vests for every person in the car and they must be accessible from within the car (so not in the boot). These are in case of break down at any time. You also need GB sticker/licsence plate, headlight beam adjusters, warning triangle and spare bulbs.

This bit of the aa website has a country by country breakdown you can check.
    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/

Expect it to be easy, without jams, people who know who to use lanes (and you'll have to do the same) and also expect people on the motorway who wish to overtake you to have the right left indicator on behind you. it's not agressive in europe just a reminder to move over (should be done more in the uk!).

Stoner
    Free Member

dont forget you need a hi-viz for every person in the car.

Pick some cheapo ones up in your local market before you go, dont buy them on the ferry on at coastal petrol stations.

AA and RAC websites good for the rest.

twohats
    Free Member

Cash is king! Well, it can be useful in both France and Germany when your "foreign" card isn't excepted at tolls, petrol station etc…

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Be aware of right of way on roundabouts in France, some of them you have to give right of way to cars entering the roundabout. Also mind your speed as the French genedarmes love catching UK cars and you have to pay on the spot. Expensive!

Hairychested
    Free Member

Which way should a child be facing? We normally have her facing forward, are there any laws saying otherwise?

steveh

I've never had an issue using a UK CC for tolls and fuel stations on the autoroutes. It only tends to be a problem when using them at the automated/un manned fuel stations.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Last trip was in a Sprinter, no cash only cards, no problems. My main concern is the kid. All the others, such as the triangle, vests, bulbs and fire extinguisher aren't an issue. Only those so-and-so kiddie seats.

hot_fiat

German tyre tread laws are far more stringent than our 1.6mm over 75% of the width – think its 5mm but not sure. If yer stopped they will check & make you rectify at the local garage. German police are actually OK, you can expect stereotypical Teutonic treatment> absolutely by the book.

In most European countries it's also a legal requirement to carry your V5 (original), MOT and insurance cert, as we found out on the Nordschleif having just run into a fairly irate Porsche.

Autobahns are only derestricted when the gantries say so, otherwise the 130kph limit is rigidly enforced with cameras in the central reservation.

The Dutch are bonkers for speed cameras. They're everywhere. They even modify wheelie bins & hide them in there. Theoretically, you can't be done as a foreigner. I wouldn't like to try it on though. Bicycles and trams seemingly have absolute priority over everything else.

French supermarket petrol stations often reject UK debit & credit cards. Never worked out why.

Both the Belgians and the Dutch seem to enjoy going on holiday in convoy.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Brand new tyres fitted tomorrow, TomTom still to come, speed not an issue (Mrs Hairychested dislikes me driving over 85mph (not that I ever do 😉 ).

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you are driving on normal roads in Germany when you drive past a town sign this also indicates a 50kmh speed limit even though there is no sign telling you so. Also if you come to a junction and you see a yellow diamond sign this means you have right of way. At traffic lights if you see a green arrow sign on the side of the lights this means you can turn right on red as long as the road is clear. Lastly many crossroads/junctions have this weird priority rule so that even though logically you should have right of way you have to give way to what seem are minor roads (often there are no markings on the road to help you either).

samuri
    Free Member

Right, it's quite important this one but since no-one has mentioned it I thought I should.

In Europe, because they're crazy, they drive on the wrong side of the road. Best remember that one.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

In Belguim i'd stick to the speed limit, they fine you on the spot, and if you haven't the money, they drive you to the nearest cash-point to get some out. In germany it is illegal to run out of petrol on motorways, so don't, and believe it or not, I think Jet petrol stations still don't take credit cards in some garages, on the motorway. Always take your V5, insurance docs and MOT with you, the German police will want to see these if they pull you over. Oh, and in Germany, Holland and Belguim, cyclists are mad, they come at you from all angles sometimes, and watch when turning right, pedestrians and bikes can cross at the same time as you can turn right, watch from the little green man at traffic lights, and if you hit a cyclists, it's your fault, even if it ain't. Petrol is currently 1.35 euros a litre and diesel 1.10 euros. What you will find in Germany is that the motorway service stations are light-years ahead of english ones, the food is edible and reasonably priced, though with the pound and euro almost one to one everything in europe is dearer, the toilets are clean, though it costs you 50 euro cents to use them, but in most you get a voucher for the 50 cents and can redeem this when you buy something in the shop. and if you do find yourself on a de-restricted autobahn, what out behind you if you're overtaking, the outside lane seems only for people doing 200kph and over, this isn't law, but the speeds can be very high. Oh, and on German autobahn junctions you cross over with the cars entering the motorway as you're leaving it, they're not like ours, just keep your wits about you.

DrJ

The Dutch are bonkers for speed cameras. They're everywhere. They even modify wheelie bins & hide them in there. Theoretically, you can't be done as a foreigner. I wouldn't like to try it on though.

But they rarely get anyone, and the fines are small.

Bicycles and trams seemingly have absolute priority over everything else.

Be careful at intersections – don't assume that if you have green, the tram will stop – it may be on a different set of lights.

http://autresdirections.wordpress.com/page/85/

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I dont know how the majority of UK drivers manage to drive on european motorways. Europeans observe a novel act of actually moving in to the inside lane once they have got passed some one, so most UK drivers must struggle.

toomanybikes
    Free Member

It's true the Germans do have a good lane discipline when on motorways, but in general, their driving is no better, if not worse than in England.

Oh and about the Dutch, too far over the limit, and they will take your car away from you and crush it.

The Dutch have also just about to take to the road in the thousands towing caravans, so if there is slow moving traffic, you can be pretty sure it's a dutchman at the front pulling a caravan.

Marge
    Free Member

German tyre tread laws are far more stringent than our 1.6mm over 75% of the width – think its 5mm but not sure. If yer stopped they will check & make you rectify at the local garage.

Where the heck does that idea come from? All EU countries (it is an EU directive) have the same base regulation regards tire tread depth… 1.6mm over 75% of central tread width.

Certainly watch out for cyclists in all 3 countries if you venture from the highway.
    Speeding should be particularly be avoided in Germany – there are of course plenty of limit-less sections of autobahn but if you get caught speeding in roadworks or sections with limits you will find it is expensive!

slightly OT: Jet petrol stations don't exist any more (at least not in continental Europe I believe) – they are now LUKOIL (Russian)

Mackem

Driving in France is generally ok, the French method of overtaking is to get within 2mm of your rear bumper, move out, zoom past and pull back in 2mm in front of you, bit disconcerting at first, be careful when approaching a slip road, people dont seem to look and just pull into the main road.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Dunno about the other countries strictness, but in France at a Stop sign you must stop/come to a complete standstill… else, on the spot fine.

For bike riders this means you must put a foot down.

juan
    Free Member

Also mind your speed as the French genedarmes love catching UK cars and you have to pay on the spot. Expensive!

What is a genedarmes ;-). They love catching everyone 😀

As for roundabout, there isn't many old school one left. Your main trouble in France is going to be right of way.
    You have to give right of way to any incoming vehicle (that does include push bikes as well) that is on your right unless:
    They come from a dirt road a private road or a stated otherwise (they have a Stop or a give a way).

Have a look here
    http://www1.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr/signaux/default.asp
    for more informations.

DrJ

be careful when approaching a slip road, people dont seem to look and just pull into the main road.

That may be their right – "priorite a droite" – for example on the Peripherique.

I know you will all hate me for saying this, but I don't see the virtue in "lane discipline" beyond a certain point – too much changing lanes for no good reason. Use all the tarmac, I say!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

In Poland you MUST have a fire extinguisher according to a Police officer mate there.

ianv
    Free Member

In France, cards are actually better than cash on the autoroute, choose the CB lanes and the queues are shorter and move quicker.

The only place cards do not seem to work is on the pay at the pump machines at petrol stations. So do not run out after the kiosks have shut.

juan
    Free Member

By experience my UK card never work on the ESCOTA network… Plus if you choose the cash lane you keep someone's job too.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

Don't EVER cross a white line in the centre of the road.

Not even if it's on a flowing downhill with 100% open visibility for the next 5 KM. The French police love those spots, and hide in waiting.

Instant fine. Don't ask me how I know.

Olly
    Free Member

how do you know?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Marge – that is the minimum from the EC directive but countries are free to make their own standards higher – and do.

andytherocketeer

I think Germany is actually 2mm tyre tread limit, but I wouldn't worry about it.

Not silly laws, but handy info…
    German Autobahn services usually have petrol station first, then restaurant + bogs. So make sure you don't need to tank up if you're busting 😉 Most need a 50c coin to get in to the bogs, but give a 50c voucher to spend on coffee, thereby ensuring you'll need to stop again for 50c and another voucher for coffee… (vouchers valid at all participating places)
    Belgian Fuel stations often need you to pre-pay inside then tank up (unless you have Belgian card). Some allow traditional UK style usage on the pumps closest to the kiosk.

hot_fiat

yep I'm wrong. it used to be that the germans insisted on greater tread depths (which is where the abundance of part worn tyres used to be sourced from) but it seems to have been harmonized across europe.

adac

Marge
    Free Member

You have to give right of way to any incoming vehicle (that does include push bikes as well) that is on your right unless:
    They come from a dirt road a private road or a stated otherwise (they have a Stop or a give a way).

Same goes for Belgium which I always forget but most people don't rely on it fortunately.
    Roundabouts are the most mental piece of traffic management in Belgium by the way – they have no idea what the inside lane of a roundabout is for. If they want to turn left on a 2 lane roundabout 75% of people stay in the outside lane and drive all the way around the outside. This destroys the traffic flow on roundabouts & never fails to surprise me even though it is 'normal'.

Re the tyre question. It's my job – only trying to help. There are some very strange exceptions but wouldn't try to list them all. Example: France – tyres on the same axle must have less tan 5.00mm difference in remaining tread depth 🙂

TheGingerOne

I think I read somewhere once that it is illegal in France to have in your car a speed radar detector thingy, even if it is not switched on

I believe you also need an insurance green card.

juan
    Free Member

France – tyres on the same axle must have less tan 5.00mm difference in remaining tread depth

They must be the same too 😉 or it's a MOT failure

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Driving in Europe.’ is closed to new replies.