Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Driving in China = mental! (video)
  • GrahamS

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESfEd180rQ[/video]

I’m thinking China might want to consider investing in some traffic lights.

Or at least decide which side of the road they drive on. 😯

tails
    Free Member

haha! 2.06 and 3.55 my personal fav’s. Strangely no one appears to get that badly hurt most just getting up and dusting themselves off!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I can’t help but think about those road studies that claim that removing all road markings makes the roads safer 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

A mate is currently riding through China, the truck driver are all insane apparently.
    My brothers girl freind got taken out by a taxi driver in Beijing too and then went bonkers goes mental at her, luckily it was just outside her friends building and the security dealt with him 😯

GrahamS

Yeah the one at 2:05, I’m not sure if the driver didn’t see him or just thought he’d try nudging him out the way with the car!

Xylene
    Free Member

You are only seeing the nice ones.

You aren’t seeing the dead children, smeared bodies, impaled people, hit and runs, drive by shootings, mass pile ups or any of the other things that go on.

Having spent most of my 20’s in SEA and Korea I’ve seen more dead bodies than I can ever want to. More chalk outlines of people on the road than I thought possible, and lost too many friends from the motor bike group I road with.

If you effectively give people who up until 20 years ago were riding around on bicycles, scooters, tractors and buffaloes, something that is high powered (in respect to their original transport) that have litte regard for the rules of the road, either because they are poorly written or easily paid off when broken.

This video is what happens, plus all the really horrible bits that you don’t get to see.

willard

3:55 is a good one, but I like 2:45 better myself.

mangoridebike

I did wonder if we were seeing the “you’ve been framed” version and that the reality does include some horrific stuff

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Im sure the above is true but what about the 3:41. One on a slow moving electric bike and another on a almost as slow moving scooter.

They make no attempt to serve out of each others way.

They just ride straight into each other slowly ?

Do people walk into each other all the time when walking in china ?

Is being the one to move out of the way seen as being a sign of weakness or something ?

Are they all so wrapped up in their lives they dont notice each other ?

LoCo
    Free Member

I know what you mean Quirrel, my mate whose riding through China’s riding companion through Europe and the Middle east was killed by a car on his return trip through Europe. R.I.P Mattie

mendip
    Free Member

They are bonkers and nutters these Chinese! 😯 🙄

verses

If you effectively give people who up until 20 years ago were riding around on bicycles, scooters, tractors and buffaloes, something that is high powered (in respect to their original transport) that have litte regard for the rules of the road, either because they are poorly written or easily paid off when broken.

I find the same is true in East Anglia… Less buffaloes though… 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

Im sure the above is true but what about the 3:41. One on a slow moving electric bike and another on a almost as slow moving scooter.

Not uncommon

They make no attempt to serve out of each others way.

Each of them thinks they are more important than the other, are in their own worlds, or don’t care.

They just ride straight into each other slowly ?

Makes a change, not looking back, did they have umbrellas up so they can’t see?

Do people walk into each other all the time when walking in china ?

yes

Is being the one to move out of the way seen as being a sign of weakness or something ?

Yes

Are they all so wrapped up in their lives they dont notice each other

Yes

mudshark
    Free Member

They don’t have much of a test out there. My inlaws are Chinese and when they drive around they honk their horn as they pass cyclists as they have a tendancy to move in unexpected directions – away from the cities anyway. I was nearly taken out in a way similar to the sorts of things show in the video and then blamed for being there – they’ll come out of side roads without stopping – or even looking it seems. As for the roads, well we drove along a recently laid 20 mile stretch that had completely collapsed – driver had to navigate around piles of rubble.

Also had fun on with pedestrians. I’m a bit chunkier than the average Chinese chap so they tended to bounce of me if trying to barge through me which they sometimes did. On a train I was 1st through the door of an empty carriage but by the time I had turned around to sit down in a seat a chap had beaten me to it – so I dropped down onto his lap which he wasn’t so happy about. And when getting off people don’t wait for you so again I’d end up taking a few back out with me. Not really helping with East/West relationships…. Oh yeah, they spit a lot too….

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Some of those look staged they are so bizarre

Xylene
    Free Member

I did wonder if we were seeing the “you’ve been framed” version and that the reality does include some horrific stuff

Never pleasant to go home in the evening and see the chalk outlines of a family of five, one obviously a baby outside the house gates.

Xylene
    Free Member

As for the roads, well we drove along a recently laid 20 mile stretch that had completely collapsed – driver had to navigate around piles of rubble.

Because the local transport ministers, heads of villages etc pocket the money

trailmonkey

are they all on heavy tranquilisers ?

donks
    Free Member

Is it that they simply dont see the cross roads due to no markings or do they just simply not bother to look anywhere but ahead?? some of these could and should have been avoided.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I used to live in Taiwan and it’s exactly the same there as on the mainland. We used to discuss it no end while we there. Drivers and scooter riders would just pull out on to the main carriageway without even making the slightest attempt at looking to see if the road was clear to do so. We concluded it had something to do with the Buddhist’s view of fatalism.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i never saw the roads of Beijing quiet enough for that to happen.

There seemed to be some kind of mystical power keeping all the road users and pedestrians apart

now Nigeria on the other hand….. 😯

Xylene
    Free Member

We concluded it had something to do with the Buddhist’s view of fatalism.

Koreans do it as well, Thai’s, Indonesians, Malaysians (but better) Laos, Cambodians, Arabs from the post above and friends who work out there, most of Africa, India and that central belt of Asia.

D4declivity
    Free Member

The Chinese pavements are landmined too. Dogs are rare, (medium or well-done) but the toddlers have trapdoors in there trousers that open as they squat; which is wherever and whenever they get the urge. 😯

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

I loved the Chinese’ take on letting their small child have a pee.

1. Drop child’s trousers no matter where you are
    2. Hold child at arms length facing away from you
    3. Wait for evacuation to complete
    4. Pull up trousers

br
    Free Member

+1 Quirrel

That was my experiences of the Far East too, and incidently Eastern Europe wasn’t much better when the wall came down – esp. when they all went and bought s/h big Beemers/Mercs with their new ‘marks’.

But I do think its more to do with those in cars believing that they ‘own’ the road – a bit like the UK really…

-m-
    Free Member

Taiwan (or Beijing for that matter) have nothing on your average city in the Chinese interior… Although driving standards are exceptionally low nationwide (and the police don’t seem to have any interest in enforcing any law/rules/discipline) I’ve seen surprisingly few collisions on my various visits there. I’m not saying that they don’t happen, but that you don’t see anywhere near as many as you’d expect given the way they drive.

BoardinBob

I couldn’t believe the driving when I was out there in the summer. Absolutely mental. Talking to colleagues out there, size decides the hierarchy ergo cyclists and peds are at the bottom of the ladder. Any spare bit of tarmac was fair game for driving on. Dubai was the worst I’d experienced beforehand but China took it too a new level.

Xylene
    Free Member

But I do think its more to do with those in cars believing that they ‘own’ the road – a bit like the UK really…

Size does matter unless you have a Merc or BMW, then you rule the road, no matter what.

One of my friends in Thailand is a fairly wealthy business owner (and chief of police for the province, but that has nothing to do with him owning all the most popular restaurants and hotels in town, really).
    He owned a car wash as one of his many business’s in which I used to regularly meet up with him there before heading out for a ride.

The number of BMW’s and Mercs that came in to get washed, with scratches bumps and scrapes on them was amazing. Just about everyone was highly polished, with a gouge or crack somewhere on it.

What was more amazing was when he told me how much some of them cost with import duty.
    A 318i was working out at the time around 30,000-35,000 pounds. A 5 series was close to 50,000-65,000.

He always impressed me with how shrewd he was with his money as well. I asked him why he didn’t have a nice car like that. He saw no point, he lived in Thailand and didn’t want it getting damaged. So his cheap oldish pickup did the job and a couple of nice bikes.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’d like to see people riding brakeless there!

Maybe it’s a blunt form of population management?

Rockdodger
    Free Member

Im sure companies like Giro,Met,Arai and Shoei could all make a few bob selling there products to those nutty road users.The helmets would keep there hair dry and avoid the need to ride whilst using an umbrella.

Xylene
    Free Member

The helmets would keep there hair dry and avoid the need to ride whilst using an umbrella.

So naive. 😉

My Shoei lid cost somewhere around 300 quid imported out there.

I could buy a police deterring pee pot for 2 quid or so or a full face for 15.

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Just like India, except the poor excuses for roads here are a million time busier and they’re a bit more nuts.

chewkw
    Free Member

The process of natural selection … in progress.

kaesae
    Free Member

Poor leader ship and a lack of organisation, speed bumps and large mirrors placed to allow the drivers to see cars coming from other directions, or simple road marking.

China up until recently hasn’t had that much money, let’s see how they do over the next 20 years.

Plus although it is very scary and people will obviously get crippled and killed, it is also quite funny, in a living in the ratrace has made me numb to others suffering, lunatic kind of way 😆

kaesae
    Free Member

Coco nuts, cottom wool and string, that’s what’s needed Hahaha! Free Kung Fu lessons combined with bubble wrap and gaffer tape!

kaesae
    Free Member

2:03 guy standing in the road, with hands in pockets, the driver simply runs him over. 2:14 2 women and kids trying to get across, I dread to watch this bit. Ouch! that’s not good and it spoilt the whole laughable stupidity. Surely they must be doing something about that?

3:48 I followed the progress of the guy at the bottom after the woman and man collided and I have to admit I was relieved he passed unscathed.

Uttern madness, the death toll must be huge. It was funny when people where getting up and seemed OK, but that is deranged lunacy, even if there are 1 billion people there. Throwing lives away like that is nuts and it must cost them more in damages, than it would to sort the problems out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Yet watch the Indians! I know it’s speeded up mind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yj36G9ukDc&playnext=1&list=PL7CD875CE2CF87F83&index=39

We had hours of entertainment in the Fishermans Cove in Goa just watching the traffic!

Olly
    Free Member

your all wrong.

thats not China.
    thats Devon.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2:04. proper laughed at that one!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Driving in China = mental! (video)’ is closed to new replies.