Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Driving in America
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hi,

Headed to Vegas in September.

I’m looking to hire a mustang and drive whilst over there.

I will be going to Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

I have a driving licencse (pink card with black/white photo) and my green paper piece.

Do i need anything else ?

clubber
    Free Member

I never bother with anything other than the pink photo license. They haven’t even checked that the last couple of times (though I am ‘Avis Preferred’ so maybe that’s why)

trail_rat
    Free Member

unless its state specific ive driving in california , nevada and texas with just my paper and photocard

id also suggest a satnav if your going near any urbanisation or freeways as freeway turnoffs can be few and far between.

if you think english drivers can be rude agressive and in a hurry you aint seen nothing !

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Hookers?

phinbob

Nope.

But its worth investigating in advance if your holiday travel insurance will cover you for all the extra insurances they like to add on, which often come to more than the base daily rental.

Also, depending on your length of stay, it can be cheaper to just buy a $99 satnav when you get here than paying for the daily rental, or buy the US maps for your own if you have one.

Enjoy….

trail_rat
    Free Member

my last car in texas – the sat nav cost more to hire than the car….

i wasnt allowed to expense an actual sat nav – even though it was half the price of the cost of hiring one.

MENTAL !

lodious
    Free Member

I hired a ‘tang about 6 weeks ago and drove round California. It was dead easy, driving is pretty relaxed over there. There is a lot of surveillance on junctions in the city, so you have to be careful. The biggest problem I found was when using a sanav on the highways, you get a lot of junctions close together, so it’s easy to exit too soon.

Car was dead cheap to hire…not a lot more than a focus.

lodious
    Free Member

I downloaded the US maps onto my Tomtom and took it. I think it was $15 a day from the hire company. I think the map for TT was c.£30.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Check out the collision damage waiver stuff you can buy online before you go – can’t remember the company(s) that do it off the top of my head.

hels
    Free Member

Sounds cool ! Can I come too ?

lasty
    Free Member

Licence you have is fine …
    I bought a 2nd hand cheapo Tom-tom off ebay with US maps already loaded – £50 all in.Price-less when trying to escape from the city – even a small one like Vegas.
    Mustangs are 10-a-penny at the hire places and not expensive.
    Id booked a medium sized saloon and was given the choice of “anythaang in line B suuur”.. Line B was mostly Mustangs but i went for a Tasty VW Passatt with all the gadgets – air con being a must !! 😉

samuri
    Free Member

It’s more what you don’t need to take.

You know that skill you have that means you can keep a car between two white lines?

Don’t bother taking that.

br
    Free Member

id also suggest a satnav if your going near any urbanisation or freeways as freeway turnoffs can be few and far between.

and

The biggest problem I found was when using a sanav on the highways, you get a lot of junctions close together, so it’s easy to exit too soon.

IME junctions on US freeways are often numbered at the mile they occur, so J50 is ten miles after J40.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you are paying yourself, then go to http://www.insurance4carhire.co.uk and buy Collision Damage Waiver aka CDW from them. This costs roughly the same as the car hire, and buying it third party can save you tons.

HOWEVER

If you go onto a UK website to book a car in the US, or if the US website knows you’re not from the US, the CDW will probably be incldued in the price. The reason being that most US residents have hire car CDW included on their own car insurance or credit card, so they don’t kneed it; however foreigners usually do.

Also, the car hire company will insist it doesn’t deal with third party insurers, but you can (according to insurance4carhire.co.uk) ignore this – they will reimburse you for any costs.

Legoman
    Free Member

Id booked a medium sized saloon and was given the choice of “anythaang in line B suuur”.. Line B was mostly Mustangs but i went for a Tasty VW Passatt with all the gadgets – air con being a must !!

Wait…. You did what?!?

molgrips
    Free Member

Also try reading up on the rules of the road first. Not that the USA is hard, but it’s a good idea for any country.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

If you have a Garmin with a micro SD card slot (no experience of TomTom), then North America maps were around 40 pounds from Amazon a couple of years ago (it seems they’re now around 50 pounds – still seems good value).

And I’ve been asked for the paper section of my licence a couple of times. You should take it just in case.

And Collision Damage Waiver Insurance

EDIT: And Stop signs really do mean stop. 4 way stops are easy, you just need to understand the rules – first to arrive, first to go.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Headed to Vegas in September.

I’m looking to hire a mustang and drive whilst over there.

I will be going to Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

You have chosen the best thing to do in Vegas. Drive away from it!

😉

As above, nothing special needed. Always worth booking ahead to get a car with satnav. My last hire care in the US (In LA for a couple of days) became a mahooosive SUV, as I had reserved a car with satnav, but the hotel hire car place had messed up. Only car they had with satnav was one of these;

For the same price as a “compact”.

And then they forgot to charge it to my Amex. Which was nice! Free ride…WOOOO!

CountZero

If you’ve got a smartphone that will run CoPilot Live, like an iPhone, or I believe Android has it as well, then get that, just checked the App Store, and CoPilot Live Premium HD USA is currently £10.49, and I honestly don’t think you can top that!

TooTall
    Free Member

Satnav is a big plus. Vegas etc in September will still be ‘king hot – I’d go for a hard top car with aircon rather than pay extra for a soft top that’ll probably be much hotter. I’ve done a similar trip at the end of Sep and was V V grateful for the aircon rather than wishing I could take the roof down and get hotter. But you probably want a Mustang.

lasty
    Free Member

Sorry Legoman – Had to be done…..

The mustangs looked great in a line up and i nearly fell for the dream but in hindsight didnt see many out on the road…. 😉
    Passatt had aircon, cruise control, manual box etc etc . I knew we were doing 2000 miles or so so just wanted a good car i didnt have to worry about.
    Went in Late September / early October and it was over 100 degrees some days.
    Drove from LA to Frisco via Grand Canyon, vegas, death valley, Yosemite….
    An absolute GAS !!
    Up early-ish and hit an off the beaten track diner for breakfast – insist on tea … 🙄
    If you fancy a Mustang mate – go for it, just not my tass de tay …

Offroading
    Free Member

It’s the new shape mustang, hard top with aircon etc 😀

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I remember being tired as getting out of LA airport in a hire car and stopping at the first motel: a consequence of a long day.

You need to know about the creeping right turns they may do at red lights. I found it was driving in and leaving car parks where I had most trouble driving on ‘their’ side.

Offroading
    Free Member

According to the hertz website, my quote includes “LDW” Loss damage waiver which according to google is the same as CDW…

Liability Insurance Supplement is included but Personal Accident Insurance is not…

So do i buy insurance or not ?

Kit
    Free Member

Android smartphone with Google Maps, cigarette charger and buy an AT&T SIM card for $25 (+ $25 a month rental = $50) for maps everywhere and satnav, is my top tip 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

If you have someone with you I would not get a satnav. Navigating with someone is part of the fun for me. The passenger gets to contribute.

I would not rely on a smartphone for Google maps use. For a start you will need an unlocked one, but phone coverage is patchy out West and AT&T (the only gsm carrier) is much worse. If you go the smartphone route get a mapping app with downloadable maps, which apparently means Nokia.

mattstreet

You might want to connect an iPod to the stereo – outside the cities the radio stations can be pretty dreadful.

Enjoy the trip – did something similar last year and it was epic.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Or get a car with sirrius

Bit of bluegrass junction 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s a doddle – drove in and around LA and San Diego for three weeks over Christmas and really enjoyed it. Bloody pain with all the Stop junctions especially on suburban streets though.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If you go the smartphone route get a mapping app with downloadable maps, which apparently means Nokia

or iPhone or Android phone with copilot app for a little money (best) or osmand for free (not so good but free)

TooTall
    Free Member

outside the cities the radio stations can be pretty dreadful.

XFM for the win. 200 DAB stations anywhere. It is fantastic.

CountZero

Android smartphone with Google Maps, cigarette charger and buy an AT&T SIM card for $25 (+ $25 a month rental = $50) for maps everywhere and satnav, is my top tip

Not a chance. As Mol says, relying on Google Maps when network coverage is patchy is just dumb, especially when you’re advocating spending $25 on a SIM, along with data costs, when, as I’ve already pointed out you can have the US version of CoPilot installed on the phone, no network needed, for eleven quid!
    What idiot would spend double, triple that, when they can buy an excellent satnav app, and always have it available anytime they might want to go back to the States?

lodious
    Free Member

Get a Mustang, if only to see that engaging sport mode disables the econometer 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

Don’t bother indicating when changing lane.
    Don’t ever let anyone merge, especially if the lanes split and it busy, close that gap.
    When the lights turn green only think about moving after 5 seconds.
    Be amazed that some cars can do 35 mpg.
    Except that sign on a freeway will only be 10 feet before the junction despite the speed limit being 75 mph.
    The dinners are awesome though.

deadslow

What’s the fastest car in the world? A hire car.
    Remember to drive it like you stole it!

njee20
    Free Member

We hired a brand new Mustang convertible in Florida lady year. Just drove it with the roof down and the air con on, not like petrol’s expensive! I’d be stunned if any US hire cars didn’t have air con, red herring from lasty I think. Passat over a mustang… Poor choice!

patriotpro
    Free Member

I drove from Miami to the southern most key (West), with no license whatsoever. 😯

Garry_Lager

It’s the constitutional right of every American to drive in the passing lane at 60 mph, for hours. So you’ll be undertaking left right and centre.
    That said, their lane discipline was quite good last time I was driving there. It’s the wrong lane, like, but at least they stay put with no sudden movements.

TooTall
    Free Member

Be amazed that some cars can do 35 mpg.

Just checking – you do know their gallon is a different size to our gallon don’t you? You do know it is smaller than ours?

That doesn’t excuse most of their cars, but it is often not as bad as people think.

Clong
    Free Member

35mpg (us gallon) is about 42mpg in (uk gallon).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Driving in America’ is closed to new replies.