Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • Driving home from a ride.
  • BadlyWiredDog

You should know by now that I’d never back down, especially not on something that I’m an expert on.

Trolling you mean?

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – That wasn’t reckless, it was well calculated and safe for me to do.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How about for the cyclist? You said you were angry. Are you sure the anger and adrenaline did not affect your judgement?

Smee
    Free Member

BWD – I train people to become driving instructors, provide advanced driver training and will hopefully soon be providing speed awareness courses.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – You said that I was angry – not me. I probably said that i was mildly annoyed. I dont get adrenalined up when i’m driving.

The cyclist was a knob, they were safe – don’t really care if they knew they were safe.

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – I train people to become driving instructors, provide advanced driver training and will hopefully soon be providing speed awareness courses.

Mostly though you just sit behind your keyboard spouting off and sniggering at your own perceived cleverness. If your speed awareness courses are conducted in the same patronising tone as your forum contributions, they’re going to be about as effective as a chocolate brake pad. But don’t let anything get in the way of your own inflated ego.

Smee
    Free Member

When I started this thread I was on msn talking to another stw regular and told them that even though it was a really good bit of advice that was being given it would lead to me getting flamed. Turns out I wasn’t wrong – funny that….

Now where is that delete account button?.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Well, maybe I am doing something wrong but I am normally knackered after riding. I usually ride what people would probably describe as DH which definitely gets the adrenaline going but there’s no doubt in my mind I am calmer driving home from a days riding than I am driving to it. In fact it probably takes me half an hour longer getting home, metal or no.

Smee – Member
    TJ – You said that I was angry – not me. I probably said that i was mildly annoyed. .

smee
    ****** beardy ******* cyclist
    Dear beardy touring ****,

You see that I am driving behind you giving you a fair gap, obviously wanting past, on a narrow singletrack road yet you ride straight past the first **** passing place. I sound the horn on approach to the second one and you ride straight **** past the second one. What the **** do you think i’m gonna do at the third one numbnuts? You have no room for complaint you ignorant ****.

Mild?

molgrips
    Free Member

Zokes, there’s a point between pinning it and driving at 30mph isn’t there? You’re just using a straw man argument (by pretending that we’re advocating dawdling at 30 and not concentrating) to try and make a point. Yes, people driving slowly is a pain but so’s people driving too fast.

If I ran about in a busy supermarket twice as fast as everyone else, came up behind them snarling aggressively trying to jostle them out of the way and making people move to let me through – I’d come across a right c*ck and I’d either be punched or chucked out, or both. And deservedly so. And to be honest, hardly anyone does that unless they’re out on the mash. So why is does it happen all the time on the roads? It’s out of order. By all means enjoy the country’s good roads but leave the aggro at home, it’s just not fair.

Not saying that that’s you, Zokes, but it’s my complaint with aggressive drivers.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – my memory of that post was that you said you were angry and you sounded absolutely furious and full of adrenaline.

I certainly would never trust you driving given the attitudes you show on here.

phiiiiil

I find I drive much faster on the way to a ride than on the way home; going there I’m excited about going riding, on the way back I’ve had my fix, I’m probably worn out and just want to chill out rather than go mad.

Even so, I’ve occasionally tried to pull up over a hump-backed bridge and wondered why I’m not clipped in to the car pedals properly…

BadlyWiredDog

When I started this thread I was on msn talking to another stw regular and told them that even though it was a really good bit of advice that was being given it would lead to me getting flamed. Turns out I wasn’t wrong – funny that….

Please.

aracer
    Free Member

will hopefully soon be providing speed awareness courses.

<must resist temptation to go speeding all over southern Scotland solely to see how sanctimonious Smee is in an official capacity>

Not quite sure I agree with others about driving faster on the way to a ride, but I did get my 3 points on the way to Afan (on a nice straight DC) 🙄 Thinking more about this, I do wonder if the issue when driving home isn’t more to do with tiredness than being stoked by adrenalin – along with people relying on their reflexes to keep them “safe” when driving, and said reflexes not being up to the job when tired.

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – your memory is quite clearly shit then isn’t it.

And the idea that you wouldn’t trust my driving is a bit laughable too. I seem to remember you boasting about riding a motorbike at silly speeds – clever that innit….

BoardinBob

Believe me, if we knew where it was, we’d tell you…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

TJ – your memory is quite clearly shit then isn’t it.

smee
    ****** beardy ******* cyclist
    Dear beardy touring ****,

You see that I am driving behind you giving you a fair gap, obviously wanting past, on a narrow singletrack road yet you ride straight past the first **** passing place. I sound the horn on approach to the second one and you ride straight **** past the second one. What the **** do you think i’m gonna do at the third one numbnuts? You have no room for complaint you ignorant ****.

Sounds pretty angry to me. You are a sanctimonious hypocritical idiot with breathtaking arrogance

Smee
    Free Member

Or maybe I could have just been venting when I was out of the car….

Good coping strategy that .

kiwijohn

I feel sorry for the elephant.

Filthy
    Free Member

Reminds me why I dont like riding bikes on the road, they are quite clearly full off cocks in cars, would people behave the same way if they didn’t feel safe in thier little bubbles. I very much doubt it !

coffeeking
    Free Member

would people behave the same way if they didn’t feel safe in thier little bubbles. I very much doubt it !

Bubbles make no difference to how people behave, theres just as many (if not more, per 1000 operators) cocks on motorbikes and they have no bubble.

zokes
    Free Member

speed awareness courses.

Hmmm. Speed kills, apparently. Not paying attention (at whatever speed) kills far many more people, but the police aren’t anywhere near as good at catching people guilty of that. Perhaps after my gf attends hers in a few weeks, i’ll be able to confirm that. Given the patronising way the letter was written, I wouldn’t be surprised if she was caught speeding driving home from it after three hours of sanctimonious plebs stating a very biased version of the bleeding obvious.

Still, to play my own sanctimonious chip, I wouldn’t know – I don’t speed in built up areas, on busy roads, or anywhere else likely to cause anyone any harm other than myself…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Zokes, never said that you were overtaking recklessly. Would you, if you encountered someone doing 30 in an NSL? Of course not, they might be an irritant, but their bad driving does not excuse more of the same.

My comment was triggered in part by watching a car overtake about 8 cyclists on the wrong side of the road up a twisty hill towards a blind brow. Had he made that manouver 30 seconds later, he would have had the choice between a head-on collision or sideswiping at least 2 cyclists.

Smee – Member
    Or maybe I could have just been venting when I was out of the car….

Good coping strategy that .

Still not found it?

acjim
    Free Member

+1

Pieface

I drive dangerously all the time.

zaskar
    Free Member

I try to drive safely all the time. Still make mistakes-I’m human.

Also mature enough to drive safely to & from a trail run. -What about other drivers/walkers and cyclists you could kill.

Hope the drive and passengers are ok (I didn’t read all the stuff so hope they are not dead).

I save my adrenanlin for the ride. 😈

robdob
    Free Member

Back to the OP, I actually want to say thanks as I now think maybe I have driven faster on the way back from a ride. It’s worth thinking about at least.

I want to ride another day thanks!!

matt_outandabout

Going back to the OP, it seems a well placed request / reminder.

Shame a reasonable request has descended into a slagging match.

Pook

+1.

BoardinBob

Because the OP is psychic and knows the cause of accident…

matt_outandabout

and maybe some of us are over sensitive about our driving….

zokes
    Free Member

and maybe some of us are over sensitive about our driving….

And maybe some of us have a god complex (smee?) and need to let everyone know that they are perfect?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Going back to the op – it might have been easier to stomach “advice” had it not come from a self proclaimed “driving expert” who not so long ago posted a thread in which he ranted vociferously about blowing his horn at a cyclist for not pulling out of his way at the first possible opportunity.

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be fair, I think that was overshadowed by claiming that no accident was unavoidable. Then being driven into about a week later 🙂

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Driving home from a ride.’ is closed to new replies.