Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Driving home from a ride.
  • Smee
    Free Member

Lets say you go riding at Inners, you have a great day riding. You then get in the car, the adrenaline is flowing and you decide to take the back road over to the A7. Still full of adrenaline you start driving a wee bit too fast for the conditions, you clip the banking and flip that car onto its roof – it happened to someone today.

Please take the time to let the adrenaline subside before you start driving after you’ve been riding. There are a lot of crashes down here involving folk that have just been biking and they are all easily avoidable.

Daffy

Always ALWAYS have tea and cake once you’ve finished the ride, it sooths the senses.

stevomcd
    Free Member

That always gets me at Inners. You come hooning down Caddon Bank, chuck the bike on the roof of the car and you’re driving before you’ve even got your breath back. Had to have a stern word with myself more than once.

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Agreed. Bad combination of adrenalin, twisty B roads, a slow driver ahead (when isn’t there one at some stage when you’re on a twisty B road) and you have the perfect ingredients for a really nasty crash. I have had a few near misses (shouldn’t that be near hits?) in these circumstances. I’ve also seen a few “aftermaths” on the roads around Peebles & Dumfries. Worth a watching. 😯

zokes
    Free Member

Please take the time to let the adrenaline subside before you start driving after you’ve been riding. There are a lot of crashes down here involving folk that have just been biking and they are all easily avoidable.

Yes sir, mister boss of the world. MYOFB

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I can well imagine, on those roads, splendid ones around Innerliethen.

My fav from Innerleithen has to be the B709 to the A708 though.

terrahawk
    Free Member

MYOFB

it would be his business if some tool going too fast crashed into him.
    He’s made a fair point for once.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t people who drive too fast mind their own business and not crash into the rest of us.

zokes
    Free Member

Why don’t people who drive too fast mind their own business and not crash into the rest of us.

I do. It’s the tool who drove into the back of me in standing traffic on the M5 that got my goat

Smee
    Free Member

Zokes – come back when you’ve grown a brain.

househusband

GW flipped his Bongo on the way back from Inners a few years ago…

jam-bo

straight flip or a 360 flipwhip?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I always unclip as if I was still in spuds.

househusband

straight flip or a 360 flipwhip?

terrahawk
    Free Member

you grew up in an allotment?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i recognise that man.

Gary as in rides an iron horse SGS ? and does alot of dirt jumping ?

zokes
    Free Member

Smee – Member

Zokes – come back when you’ve grown a brain.

Just checked, it’s still there.

My only beef was why you felt the need to tell the world what to do, as if you were a superior citizen. Personally, i’d rather come across someone on the road who is on adrenaline, and therefore much more switched-on to what they are doing, than a dosy pleb doing 30 in an NSL section with little idea they are actually in charge of a tonne of metal at all. Yes, I know that’s not a crime, but it’s just asking for an accident encouraging people to overtake recklessly. I find these are usually the same people who think speeding up whilst being overtaken is also a good idea. I have some basis for my argument – the signs all along the A9 suggesting that slow vehicles pull over to allow queues to pass, so I’m not the only one…

househusband

i recognise that man…

That’s him. Can come across (on forums) as an arrogant and argumentative know it all, been there and done that mountain biking god – but (once you get to know him) is a good mate. Loves a few miles from me but haven’t ridden with him for ages. He’s said before that he know you.

ton

i always have a hours worth of tea and cakes and mochachocalatte after a ride…..always….. 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Never had the “buzz” last longer than it takes to put the bike in the car. By that comment you’d expect to see carnage around go-kart tracks where people come out and would be still on a driving high.Even medically administered high-level doses of adrenalin have returned to normal within ~15 minutes? Claiming accidents are due to that is serious anecdotal extrapolation.

Smee
    Free Member

Zokes – when it comes to driving I am superior. Driving when full of adrenalin is stupid on a public road with frequent and obvious results.

Filthy
    Free Member

I drove back from glentress along the A68, kept thinking I was still on spookywood. I was even trying to tailwhip the car by shuffling on my seat 😳

Always drive within your limits is the order of the day… ride mtb as fast as you like, chances are no one else will get hurt that way. And always remember to distinguish between the two.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Zokes – when it comes to driving I am superior.

😆 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

I’ve experienced that effect on occasion, which isn’t normal for me as I’m naturally quite a conservative driver. Zokes, NOTHING excuses reckless overtaking. It doesn’t matter if the person in front is doing 10mph (people on bikes frequently do this on derestricted roads, not sure if you’ve noticed). The only people encouraging accidents are those overtaking.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

play some classical music on the car radio to soothe you rather than pumping rock music

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – your only fault is an excess of modesty?

Smee
    Free Member

TJ – there is nothing worse than false modesty.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’d say that gastroenteritis or some such other illness is probably slightly worse than false modesty?

Smee
    Free Member

MrNutt – what the hell are you talking about?

zokes
    Free Member

Zokes, NOTHING excuses reckless overtaking. It doesn’t matter if the person in front is doing 10mph (people on bikes frequently do this on derestricted roads, not sure if you’ve noticed). The only people encouraging accidents are those overtaking.

At which point did I mention that I was encouraged to recklessly overtake? One of the key rules in the highway code is to be courteous to other drivers. I know several people who failed their driving tests for driving ‘too slowly’ on an NSL stretch of road. Putting those two pieces of information together, most people would conclude that driving too slowly and not ‘making progress’ is not only demonstrating a sub-standard level of driving ability, but is also being extremely discourteous to other road users.

The key difference between bikes and slow drivers is that cars can, and should, be travelling at a speed suitable for the conditions. 30 mph on an open NSL road is not a suitable speed unless the weather dictates otherwise, and regardless of the rights or wrongs, the very reason those signs exist is to point out that others may take unnecessary risks in order to carry on their journeys impeded. I know they shouldn’t, but by driving at such low speeds in your sanctimonious, self righteous (or more probably, daydreaming / nervous) little bubble, it encourages people to make rash decisions. As I said above, these slow drivers are usually the same people who then either try to race you whilst overtaking or sit there flashing their lights at you afterwards, whereas if they’d just driven at a sensible speed to start with, then there would never have been a problem. I’d rather met a mountainbiker who’s focussed on adrenaline driving back from a trail than a granddad who has little concept of the fact he’s even in a car, let alone driving it. Living in North Wales, most of the crashes I’ve seen seem to be caused by the latter, not the former. Obviously if Smee were ever to have an accident, I’d feel sorry for him, mostly because he’d never be able to face his own sanctimonious little face in the mirror in the morning…

aracer
    Free Member

He’s made a fair point for once.

Exactly my thoughts. Nice to know he’s capable of it 😉

Smee
    Free Member

Zokes – Encouraged to recklessly overtake? WTF are you on? There are ways and means of safely overtaking people that are driving too slowly.

Answer me this question – why would you take a risk to overtake someone?

Come visit me and I’ll give you a reality check on your driving and you’ll see how crap your driving and attitude really is. Tell you what, I’ll waive my fee too.

holyhutzpa
    Free Member

picture of flipped bongo

What is that man wearing? It looks like a one-piece, tiger-print-effect shell-suit?

BadlyWiredDog

Same goes for watching really energetic musicals and action movies. I’ve seen some horrendous crashes close to multiplex cinemas where cinema goers hyped on adrenaline and most probably sugar high on cheap snacks have stacked their cars badly. If you go and watch energetic cinema or take salsa classes, please, please, please take the time to allow the adrenaline to subside before you crash your car. There are a lot of crashes round here where drivers stumble from the wreckage still mumbling lines from the movies… “feeling lucky punk’ and such like.

I don’t say this lightly, I’m a driving expert and cover hundreds of miles a month in my milk float etc. blah.

BadlyWiredDog

Oh, and fwiw, I’m far more likely to be hyped and excited on the way to the trails and nicely chilled and mellow on the way home after a good ride.

BoardinBob

Claiming accidents are due to that is serious anecdotal extrapolation

Alternatively he’s a sanctimonious arsehole

aracer
    Free Member

I’d rather met a mountainbiker who’s focussed on adrenaline driving back from a trail than a granddad who has little concept of the fact he’s even in a car, let alone driving it. Living in North Wales, most of the crashes I’ve seen seem to be caused by the latter, not the former.

Really? Must be a statistical anomoly up there then, as the stats for the rest of the country suggest it’s the young drivers full of adrenalin who have more crashes. Personally I disagree – as irritating as grandad driving too slowly might be, I’d far rather be on the same road as them than somebody stoked on adrenalin.

If it weren’t for you comparing grandad with the people Smee is on about in his original post, I would actually be agreeing with you that he is a road safety hazard. However in this instance I totally agree with Smee – even the bit you quoted that he presumably edited out later in an uncharacteristic backing down exercise.

The thing is, being full of adrenalin only makes you think you’re a better driver (much like alcohol).

BadlyWiredDog

Are people really ‘full of adrenaline’ after a good ride? Like I said above, I’m far more likely to be chilled and satisfied post ride. This is all a load of sanctimonious, anecdotal bollocks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Smee – Member

Zokes – Encouraged to recklessly overtake? WTF are you on?

Like angrily pushing past a cyclist on a single track road?

Smee
    Free Member

ChrisM – the bit quoted was from someone else. You should know by now that I’d never back down, especially not on something that I’m an expert on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Driving home from a ride.’ is closed to new replies.