Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Driving Glasses. New Oakleys, Ray Bans or replacement lenses?
  • jimjam
    Free Member

My long serving Oakley Monster pups finally got to the point where they needed to be replaced so I ordered a pair of Straightlinks with prizm lenses. Annoyingly when they arrived I found them too big, not a great fit and the lens was too dark for my requirements (mainly driving). Coming into winter I find a good pair of glasses extremely useful due to the low sun but quite varied weather conditions.

I’d like something with a very light tint, but still the excellent sharpness, contrast and durability of Oakleys. They offer so many frames and colours now it’s a total chore to go through the many hundreds of options.

I’ve had Ray Bans in the past, but one pair chipped when I dropped them, the others were sat on. Do they offer polycarbonate lenses these days and if so how do they compare to Oakleys?

Another option I’m considering is getting replacememt lenses for the Monster pups. There are a load of re-sellers who all seem to be offering a similar range of lense tints. I’m wondering if anyone has had any experiences with these? Are they comparable to Oakleys in terms of optical quality or are they just cheap plastic lenses?

Is there anything else worth considering?

TL:DR I need some sunglasses for driving. What’s good?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I need some sunglasses for driving.

Italian car?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*double post*

jimjam
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart

Italian car?

No. Three different cars from three different nations. Matching the car is not high up list of requirements. See requirements. 😉

nickewen
    Free Member

If it’s mainly for driving I’d look at some polarised Serengeti’s. I managed to pick up a pair for £80 in costco which was an absolute steal. I’ve had them 5 years now and will be gutted when I eventually lose/break them as costco don’t do them anymore and they’re about £200 normally.

They really are very good sunglasses. I’d had Rayban’s prior to these and I think the Serengeti’s are better.

thehustler
    Free Member

Maui Jims, by far the best sunglass lens available on the market

burko73

Oakley’s – scratch too easily. Only used for bike or where someone’s going to shoot me in the eyes.
    Oakley polarised – lenses coating bubbles up and comes off if left on dashboard in the sun.
    Ray ban polarised – glass so low scratch, I’m liking these lenses in the green.
    Costa – polarised in two types of glass and a number of tints/ mirror or not, also do the colours and mirror finishes in their polycarbonate lenses. Great lenses usually. On a par or better than Maui Jim’s.

ourmaninthenorth

Oakley Monster pups

According to Google look like this:

So I suspect it’s less

Italian car?

and more

😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Look they were cool ten years ago ok 😆 and yes a Hilux is closer to that pic than an Italian car. No doubts.

Does anyone have any links to real tests to determine the clarity or sharpness of any of these brands. Oakley reps were great at showing how much better their glasses were than Addidas, Nike, Tiffosi etc but they never compared them to Serengetti or Maui Jims.

I’ve been looking but I can’t find anything online except personal opinion.

jimmy

Rad8 have £30squids off all models just now. Very tempted but can’t decide between photochromaticthingies or mirrored.

ourmaninthenorth

Look they were cool ten years ago ok and yes a Hilux is closer to that pic than an Italian car. No doubts.

😆

So, I have:

Oakley Frogskins
    Rayban Wayfarer
    Lindberg aviators with Zeiss lenses

Being a specs wearer I’m picky about the quality of the optics, and all of these are very good.

The Frogskins and Wayfarers are both grey lenses, so good for summer but not so useful in winter.

The Lindbergs have graduated brown lenses and are frankly superb. Would be perfect in winter.

I suspect you need to have the Oakleys re-lensed by Oakley and buy some more up-to-date sunglasses for when people may recognise you… 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Well I ordered another pair of Oakleys and a pair of Raybans (Sliver bronze polarized and Justin brown polarized) and I plan to see if I can discern any difference when they arrive.

I’m still curios about some maui jims or serengetti drivers but in the absence of anywhere I can try a pair on along with the possibility of breaking them more easily they’ll have to wait.

onandon
    Free Member

serengetti Are awesome for in car use. Maui Jim for everything else other than cycling where Oakley win for me.

jimjam
    Free Member

I had to go with the safe option. I always start with the best intentions to look after glasses then they end up getting tossed into a cubby hole or onto the passenger seat. Next thing they are in the footwell, getting sat on grabbed by the kids etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Driving Glasses. New Oakleys, Ray Bans or replacement lenses?’ is closed to new replies.