Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Driving from Durham to Manchester on Sunday Lunch time…..
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Anyone got any good routes that aren't too far out of my way? Don't mind something quite lengthy, home by 10pm is fine!

I'm looking for stuff that isn't Hamsterley Forest, but also maybe not too close to Manchester as I can ride there any time. North York Moors?

Current favourite option is Standedge/Blackstone edge as it's readily accesible from the M62, but it is a bit close to home really.

Help me out!

Cheers

stew1982
    Free Member

How about Gisburn Forest? – you can cut across from Bradford/Halifax way or from Harrogate way if you fancy the scenic route.
    Not been up there yet but looks good – Plus you can let me know if it's as good as it looks! 😀

CrispyCSW

Go across A66 and do the the calf / howgill fells?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Gisburn – Friends have done it, didn't get rated high enough. Howgills aren't exactly on the way home! Think A1(M) M62 please!

ctznsmith
    Free Member

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/where-shall-i-ride-next-week-in-yorkshire

Settle loop (either the one linked to in that thread or one of the ones in the trail guide on here)

Or the Ogden/Halifax one mentioned.

…both sort of on the way. I've only ridden the medium settle loop off here of those mentioned.

Pook

drop to sheffield and take the a57/ a628 over the peaks for some peaky peak riding.

CrispyCSW

Howgills aren't exactly on the way home! Think A1(M) M62 please!

They could be – only adds about 20mins to the journey vs A1 / M62 if you go across the A66 and down the M6, often go that way if I have to go to the office in Manchester as it's a nicer drive & less chance of getting stuck in a jam.

lowey

Swaledale. and Come home via buttertubs and Sedbergh

uplink
    Free Member

often go that way if I have to go to the office in Manchester as it's a nicer drive & less chance of getting stuck in a jam.

Me too, the M6 up to Tebay is a damn sight more pleasant a drive than the M62 though West Yorks & the 66 is pretty much dualed all the way to Scotch Corner these days

miketually
    Free Member

Go via Dales Bike Centre at Reeth?

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Classic loop

Do the above clockwise starting from Ravenstonedale.

A66/M6 option. The start must be 1k off your route.

🙂

stew1982
    Free Member

As per CrispyCSW – A66/M6 is barely any longer than M62 – traffic is almost always better too!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

What about the Nidderdale one, that starts just outside Pateley Bridge. You can shorten it a bit by starting at lofthouse. http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/nidderdale_route.html

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Cool, some good options, I'll have a look at a few maps!

Cheers

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Driving from Durham to Manchester on Sunday Lunch time…..’ is closed to new replies.