Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Driving from Aberdeen to Fort William today. What route?
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

I have to leave in a couple of hours. AA route planner says via Granton. Is this a bad idea? Would I be better going Inverness and down?

peterfile
    Free Member

Smudger666

depends on todays weather – theres snow gate closure at the banchory fettercairn so theres been more fall on the high routes.

i’d do inverness and down for all the extra it’ll take.(30 mins or so)

edit – got the wrong snow gates.

oldbloke
    Free Member

It will be worth going to the Traffic Scotland live eye views page as you can see what stage several of the roads are in to give you an idea of what you face on the different options

Live eye views

scotroutes

I’d stick to the coast where possible. Currently snowing, and drifting, in Aviemore

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks for the link old bloke. Judging by the a95 cam I’ll go by inverness

klunky
    Free Member

Having done the drive in these conditions before I would suggest not doing it unless you absolutely have to.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’d stick to the coast where possible. Currently snowing, and drifting, in Aviemore

Aberdeen to Fort William sticking to the coast? Let’s hope he’s not in a hurry 🙂

I don’t know the roads east of Nairn at all, but I wouldn’t expect the A82 between Inv and FW to be any real problem today. That would be my choice in light of the information re Aviemore.

kcal

Granton? via Edinburgh – that’s a fair way out the way 🙂

Bit of snow falling here in Elgin and that’s more or less coastal. I’d plump for A96 (watch out on the Glens section though), Inverness and down A82 for safety. Higher not good.

cultsdave
    Free Member

It does not take much longer to go via Perth and Glencoe. To get to Glencoe from Aberdeen I always go this way. Fort William is usually quicker going up to Huntly and across to Dufftown. But I have no idea what the roads are like with snow at the moment.
    The A96 to Inverness is a terrible road and will take you hours. 2.5 hours during the day is average so in this weather I dread to think how long it will take.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Went via Inverness and it was glorious sunshine most of the way. Going through Glencoe and down Loch Lomond late afternoon was lovely.

Few pics

P1000483

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Driving from Aberdeen to Fort William today. What route?’ is closed to new replies.