Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Driving for 2 hours (ish) to get to trails. But in which direction?
  • Jamie
    Free Member

As I live in the MTB mecca that is Peterborough I have to travel to the trails, having given up on tectonic plates smashing together and forming mountains on my doorstep. I passed my driving test last year and have been doing Woburn/Chicksands mostly. Great places, but now the time has come to go a bit further afield. So should I go North to the Peaks or West to Cannock?

Rickos
    Free Member

North. Defo North. Proper hills with views and that.

Crankmasher
    Free Member

North! No disrespect to cannock but go North!

Steelfreak
    Free Member

You could try East(ish) for a quick blast 'round Thetford…

ratherbeintobago

Peaks in 2h?

Andy

Jamie
    Free Member

Peaks in 2h?

Andy

2 hours (ish)

JohnnyPanic

Do both.

ratherbeintobago

I meant that the (southern) Peaks are about 2h away – should be doable, I think.

Andy

nbt

White peak should be fantastic at the moment with e dry weather we've been having.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

North, no question about it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, lets say 'oop north it is then. Where about in White peak is recommended? Will I need a local to guide me?

_tom_
    Free Member

I live quite close to Peterborough – Northamptonshire here. Go to Cannock quite a bit and usually enjoy it. Wharncliffe is only about an hour and a half up the M1 for me I think – great if you like downhill. Dunno what else is within 2 hours north, will be interested to see what else is suggested as I'm a bit bored of Cannock now!

Didn't realise Thetford was so close, any good?

btw Jamie if you're free next week I could meet up for a ride if you like? I've never ridden the peaks either so we'd probably still end up getting lost 😆

nbt

The v-graphics white peak book is pretty good, I've not done the most southerly stuff from there but the routes I've done have been great. The five dales loop is fantastic and should be in brilliant condition at the moment

Jamie
    Free Member

great if you like downhill.

Mate….I have done most my riding locally. Downhill is bunny hopping off a kerb 😉

Looking for mostly flowy singletrack, but not adverse to go down things when the need arises.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The route in the V-graphics book that start from Linacre reservoir and good old fashioned XC blasts that will be great now they're dry. Nothing too technical but – I think – very rewarding. You'd be able to make it there in about 2 hours from Peterborough. I'd recommend picking up that guide and making your plans from there. Loads of good stuff that's perfect for dry summer days

_tom_
    Free Member

Well the new bits at Cannock are really good if you like flowy singletrack. Couldn't go there all the time as it gets dull but it has what you want and shouldn't be too long a drive away! A14 > M1 then off at first exit to A5. Keep going along that to lichfield and follow signs for cannock/cannock chase 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

PS Cannock is great fun and worth a visit, but save it for when the White Peak is veiled in mud

Jamie
    Free Member

Hmmm, I guess I could do Cannock one weekend then Peaks next. Is Cannock holding up ok with the lack of rain Tom?

_tom_
    Free Member

Sort of but it was really dusty and loose in places when I went on Wednesday. Tyres and drivetrain were more of an orangey colour when I'd finished..

nbt

Did cannock last weekend. With the lack of rain, the trails are turning to dust and collapsing. Serious braking bumps developing from muppets who can't ride, and a few corners are very much off camber as the outside of the trail has vanished. Save cannock for wetter conditions and ride white peak. Linacre stuff as recommended above is good, couldn;t recall the name of it though!

joemarshall
    Free Member

White peak is lovely right now.

I'd do something round darley dale or that way – worth the extra drive. I have a soft spot for cromford, but it is hard to describe the routes round there – best bits not even on an OS map.

The white peak book has much of the best legal riding round there in it, worth the money for sure, particularly if you're not local.

Joe

organic355
    Free Member

Driving for 2 hours (ish) to get to trails. But in which direction?

Forwards?

donks
    Free Member

Jamie, take it from a fellow Woburn lad Cannock is champion, and definatly worth a run. Just try to go early or later as it gets rammed.

BigJohn

We had a lovely ride around Cannock Chase last night. We mostly stayed on the cheeky stuff but we did a bit of the Dog, Tackeroo round to Big John's, and the agreement was that the erosion had made it a better ride. You've got to steer your way around the holes.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Cannock is champion, and definatly worth a run

Couldn't agree more, but I would take advantage of the good conditions in the White Peak and save Cannock for another weekend

The-milkybar-kid
    Free Member

Hi i live in peterborough & go up to hope/castleton in the peaks lots it takes around 2.5 hours so its not to far.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Driving for 2 hours (ish) to get to trails. But in which direction?’ is closed to new replies.