• This topic has 135 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)
  • Driving Below The Speed Limit Does Not Make You Less Of A Man
  • Xylene
    Free Member

For that reason I’m out.

This is the first flounce I have witnessed on STW.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Quirrel – Member

For that reason I’m out.

This is the first flounce I have witnessed on STW.
    Posted 29 minutes ago # Report-Post

Awesome Revell Horwood?

singletrackmind

1.- H + T is pointless and not possible in VAG group cars . You put your big toe on the brake and press, and use your side of your foot to roll over the throttle to blip it. But as soon as you touch the brake the throttle is cut , for economy reasons. Try driving up the road with your left foot just engaging the brakes and accelerate ..
    2.- H + T can be used to help save the syncros in the gearbox, if its worn or cold. Approach a junction requiring a downchange , blip throttle and double de clutch. You should be able to pick the revs up enough so a nice smooth 4th to 2nd shift is possible without a graunch.
    3.- On race cars H + T can be used to rev match to not overload the braking wheels with a sudden extra braking force from the transmission . The brakes slow the car , in maximum braking you dont want to bring up the clutch on a flat engine when your are leaning on the anchors as hard as you dare , so a blip will increase revs , allow the gear to be easily engaged as the cogs are all spinning together , and not add extra engine braking to the front wheels.
    4.- H + T can be used to keep a large turbo spinning faster on downshifts , reducing lag . Not needed in a road car nowadays as the turbo technology has moved on with VANOS or VVT turbos and multiple set ups. A big T4 garret needed alot of gasses to spin up , and H + T helped this

Spongebob
    Free Member

The roads are full of useless drivers!

Associating bad driving with a particular brand of vehicle is totally stupid – the usual narrominded STW nonsene!

Best thing is to not drive, but this is impossible for many. If you have to, develop a thick skin as nobody is going to bang to rights the idiots who put your safety at risk.

People who are either aggressive, unattentive, or clueless will be able to carry on with indefinite impunity, because our PC society makes it impossible to put these wrongs right.

However, do expect to get fined if you stray into a bus lane, stop in the wrong place for a few seconds, or marginally excees the speed limit.

Cars – driving – waste of time.

Adapt your lifestyle so that you aren’t dependant on four wheeled private transport.

allthepies
    Free Member

If someone is tailgaiting me then I just want them away from my car. I pull over and let them move on to their next potential accident victim.

Brake testing them is just stupid and dangerous.

ski
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

If someone is tailgaiting me then I just want them away from my car. I pull over and let them move on to their next potential accident victim.

Brake testing them is just stupid and dangerous.

Spot on, just let them pass without winding them up any more that they already are.

[8 years of commuting by bike makes me think about my safety first on the road]

😉

schroedingerscat
    Free Member

Actually, according to Einstein, your willy will get longer the faster you drive, well…. depending on how it’s orientated, it may just get wider if you dress to either side.

Or is that the other way round? either way it made me laugh for 16 or 17 seconds and that really, is what counts in my box

coastkid
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

The roads are full of useless drivers!

Associating bad driving with a particular brand of vehicle is totally stupid – the usual narrominded STW nonsene!

Best thing is to not drive, but this is impossible for many. If you have to, develop a thick skin as nobody is going to bang to rights the idiots who put your safety at risk.

People who are either aggressive, unattentive, or clueless will be able to carry on with indefinite impunity, because our PC society makes it impossible to put these wrongs right.

However, do expect to get fined if you stray into a bus lane, stop in the wrong place for a few seconds, or marginally excees the speed limit.

Cars – driving – waste of time.

Adapt your lifestyle so that you aren’t dependant on four wheeled private transport.

+1 on that, why i dont road cycle too except between trails 😮

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

If as an example mentioned very much earlier you wish to clean a bit of rust/grime from your discs by dragging your brakes on a VAG car it is possible. Foot all the way off the throttle, press the brake then reapply the throttle, she’ll pull as normal then just feather the brake so the big lump doesn’t stall, handy for cleaning dirty brakes.

ECU cutting the throttle when the brakes are pressed is good news all round if your throttle ever sticks on, Toyota found this out the hard way….

Olly
    Free Member

Or, surely, just leave a bit more room next time you want to stop, and stop as normal.

then your disks will be just as clean :s

i also cant imagine many cars have engines that can over power thier brakes.

even in first, with some revs, I reckon if I pushed the brake even moderately it would just stall?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

I suppose I should of said your already rolling for the hard of thinking….

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

singletrackmind – Member
    1.- H + T is pointless and not possible in VAG group cars . You put your big toe on the brake and press, and use your side of your foot to roll over the throttle to blip it. But as soon as you touch the brake the throttle is cut , for economy reasons. Try driving up the road with your left foot just engaging the brakes and accelerate ..
    2.- H + T can be used to help save the syncros in the gearbox, if its worn or cold. Approach a junction requiring a downchange , blip throttle and double de clutch. You should be able to pick the revs up enough so a nice smooth 4th to 2nd shift is possible without a graunch.
    3.- On race cars H + T can be used to rev match to not overload the braking wheels with a sudden extra braking force from the transmission . The brakes slow the car , in maximum braking you dont want to bring up the clutch on a flat engine when your are leaning on the anchors as hard as you dare , so a blip will increase revs , allow the gear to be easily engaged as the cogs are all spinning together , and not add extra engine braking to the front wheels.
    4.- H + T can be used to keep a large turbo spinning faster on downshifts , reducing lag . Not needed in a road car nowadays as the turbo technology has moved on with VANOS or VVT turbos and multiple set ups. A big T4 garret needed alot of gasses to spin up , and H + T helped this

At last, someone speaks sense!

I have to say I have been a member on here for a while, & I have always enjoyed car threads as they are the rare opportunity I get to positively contribute to the forum. I have for the last 25 years driven, maintained & sold fast cars, driven some stupid exotica & generally have a bit of experience with fast cars. Surf Mat has taken that away from me with his incessant insistence that whatever he says is right & everyone else is wrong, well I would just like to say that the bloke is an utter tool, I don’t care that he will say some rubbish about stalkers & haters, it’s not true, moderated

If anyone thinks Mat is a sound person, or even if the man himself is game, could they start a pole thread to find out what the general forum consensus is?
    Normally I would say live & let live, but on this occasion it is boyond me.

Cheers, & Mat, I genuinely hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I must say, in this incarnation SBZ/glupton has kept a lot quieter on his own areas of awesomeness in his posts. (lest we forget the athletic and academic genius of the older versions 😉 ) But yes in this instance, as much as we like an argument we really should heed his advice.

It’s interesting to hear that you seem to be going off driving altogether George… Cycle commuting too much fun or driving getting less fun?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Agreed. I’ve always thought that George speaks a lot of sense about driving standards, road safety etc. (Plenty of crap on other issues of course in the past, but he knows his onions when it comes to driving).

richmars

stumpy01 – Member

PS – You Thetfording over Christmas?? Hope you have a nice break.

Yes but not sure when.
    Have a good christmas.

DezB
    Free Member

Some forum rules

?Usernames or names displayed in forum threads or story comments may not be used to criticise individuals or companies and are subject to the same rules as for any other post or comment on the site. Where a username is in breach of this rule the account will be deleted or the username altered by a moderator.
    ?No posts which, in the Moderators opinion, are likely to cause offence to either an individual, or group, whatever their gender, sexual inclination or ethnicity.

Viewing 16 posts - 121 through 136 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Driving Below The Speed Limit Does Not Make You Less Of A Man’ is closed to new replies.