Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Driving age
  • sofatester
    Free Member

Yup. Six points should be a ban, rather than 12.

Harsh!

I have a feeling half of STW would be riding from home if that was enforced 😀

Helios
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

If you are serious about reducing road casualties then much could be done
    mandatory retesting every 5 years – done in some countries – OK… I can cope with that
    Much harder driving tests including motorway driving – Yep again… no real problem there
    Random breathalyser stops.Absolutely no way in hell
    Much tougher enforcement of driving laws – Back to being OK again

cookeaa

Never mind trying to punish the young for daring to be young.

The best way to reduce overcrowding and Deaths on the road is to make it incredibly expensive to own and run a car, you could relax the test and licence criteria if a full tank cost say £2000 and a set of tyres was ~£5000 I’m sure everyone would moderate their speed/behaviour and reduce their use of cars…

Young drivers aren’t generally the worst in my opinion (some are shocking of course) but the most common, worst offenders (Mobile clamped to the ear, doing 45 in 30 limits, regularly pulling decidedly sketchy manoeuvres, tailgating, etc) have to be middle aged males in Mondeo/Vectras/406/A4/Passat/etc basically “Mr Average” closely followed by the Dippy Cows in Range rovers and MPVs driving Tarquin and Hermione to school, what makes it worse is that these are apparently relatively “Experienced” drivers…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

what makes it worse is that these are apparently relatively “Experienced” drivers…

Sometimes "experienced" just seems to mean "desensitized"

miketually
    Free Member

I have a feeling half of STW would be riding from home if that was enforced.

Fair enough.

njee20
    Free Member

Much harder driving tests including motorway driving

That wouldn't help, how many 17 year old die during lessons? Hardly any, because someone's sat beside them saying 'don't do that'. You could make absolutely everyone pass an AIM test before giving them a license, but there's still that first time when no one's sat beside them saying 'this is a 30' etc.

Random breathalyser stops. – Absolutely no way in hell

Why would that be a problem? Do you drink and drive? I got stopped and randomly breathalysed once, didn't bother me at all, I don't do it. I'd encourage more random testing.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

Yup. Six points should be a ban, rather than 12.

For the first 2 years 6 points is a ban, and what i had with my parents was only 2 friends in the car, and no music for the first month.

and with regards to:

I think there should be more testing, to stop drink driving

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    If you are serious about reducing road casualties then much could be done
    mandatory retesting every 5 years – done in some countries
    Much harder driving tests including motorway driving
    Random breathalyser stops.
    Much tougher enforcement of driving laws

I agree with all of that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Aye – why no random breathalysiers?

At the moment the cops cannot stop someone to brethalyse them without reason. I'd like to see roadblocks round the conrner from pubs with car parks and breathalyse every driver.

its about the only place I will say if you have done nothing wrong you have no need to fear.

I would have no issue with this – and a much lower alcohol limit as well.

maybe 10 not 35. so a pint puts you over – but not a pint the previous night, A bucketfull the night before puts you over the limit inthe morning.

Drunk drivers kill loads of folk every year

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Safety aside, I think society might benefit in the future if people went without cars for a couple of years and perhaps realised that life can go on without them rather than jumping into them as soon as they leave school.

uplink
    Free Member

At the moment the cops cannot stop someone to brethalyse them without reason.

There's always a reason

MS
    Free Member

If you were to be banned at 6 points that would be very harsh!

2 mishaps/loss of concentration/mistakes in a 3 year period and your punished by loss of your licenece. Pretty easy to make a couple of mitakes in that time period so the 12 point limit is just about spot on.

Yes young people have the worst statistics, but within the first two years that is when the majority of your learning experiences happen. Although driving like an idiot isnt acceptable. If the driving age was 18 it would put a major burden on school levers as some folk required a car for work / uni.

thickens
    Free Member

njee20

what most people are unaware of is yes the driving age for a car "B" is 17
    at 18 and holding a car licence you can then go directly after a medical and a theory test to "C" then "C+E" which is a full 44tonne articulated truck
    with a possible, like the new MAN tgx V8 a 16.2 litre engine developing 680Hp and 3,000Nm of torque. if you were slow to do your car test you could having a few days driving experience of a car and then hold a licence for that in under a month !

SO the 1.2 limit for two years is irrelevant.

Edric64
    Free Member

No still 17 for cars and 16 for mopeds

Unless you have a severe disability and you can drive a car at 16

Edric64
    Free Member

I think there should be more testing, to stop drink driving

Most accidents are caused by sober people though

Helios
    Free Member

Why not more random breathalyser? Because I don't believe in a presumption of guilt. I don't drink and drive – so why should the police be pulling me over to check without a decent reason?

Bike crime is a big problem round here . Would you support police stopping all cyclists at random and making them prove they haven't stolen it? What about getting people to turn out their pockets as they walk along to make sure they aren't a burglar and don't have any stolen property? What about random sampling of all the DNA of all men to make sure they aren't rapists? Repeat ad nauseum…

And no… Before someone asks… I don't read the Daily Wail… I just think a general presumption of guilt is not acceptable in a civilised society…

I've no problem with a policeman pulling me over if he thinks I might have been drinking and I'd have no issue with then being asked to take a breath test… But breath tests at random with no cause? No way.

radoggair
    Free Member

Can we not just ban all wimen and singlespeeders with beards, they sound edgy at the very least 😛

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Helios – Member

Why not more random breathalyser? Because I don't believe in a presumption of guilt. I don't drink and drive – so why should the police be pulling me over to check without a decent reason?

I see your point but I believe the hundreds of deaths a year from drunk drivers is a good enough reason. I wouldn't ever see the cops able to really go crackers breathalysing people all the time – but it would allow them to do targeted roadblocks at known trouble spots

miketually
    Free Member

Most accidents are caused by sober people though

There are, hopefully, more sober people driving. A 'drunk' driver is more likely to be in an accident than a sober one.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Thickens – there are lots of hoops to jump through before you can drive C+E at 18.

thickens
    Free Member

nobi_twa None if you job is not based around driving. you are therefore exempt from cpc as driving the vehicle is not your job. i have an exemption letter from VOSA. or if it is a personal vehicle.
    yes there are alot of hoops to jump through if you wish to drive for haulage.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

I'll tell you why you can't restrict young drivers to small cars:

Not every 17 year old can afford their own car.

What if little Johnny Poverty's only option is to drive his mum's 1.6l Focus every so often? Should he not drive until he's 19? Or however old the probabtion period states?

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Driving age’ is closed to new replies.