Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • driving – advice for anti-glare sun glasses?
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I find my eyes are getting more sensitive to bright light, consequently I use polaroid sunglasses to reduce glare whilst driving. They’re good, makes my eyes comfortable, but…..
    I then glance down at the dashboard to check speed etc. and the controls are too dark to see, so I peer over them or flick them up to check, which is a nuisance!
    Travelling to work involves going through constantly changing speed limits, 20/30/40 and back down, with oft-seen speed cameras so simply ignoring speed is not an issue!

I did wonder about using yellow tinted cycling glasses, but not sure if they reduce glare enough. Will experiment, but in the meantime…..
    Anyone else similarly affected?
    Whaddya do?

Q

Flaperon

Have you had your eyes checked recently? Your eyes getting more sensitive to bright light can be a precursor to several vision problems, not least cataracts and macular degeneration.

If you find yourself using sunglasses to drive in ordinary sunlight, I suggest you visit an optometrist sooner rather than later. Cataracts especially are a doddle to fix nowadays and will give you pin-sharp vision in all conditions once sorted. 😉

Christowkid
    Free Member

Thanks for the thought.
    I have annual eye checks as my father had glaucoma, so am meticulous about that. The test is quite thorough too, but apart from slight degeneration due to age all is fine, and also pointed out that it is good despite my age! It was mentioned on the test before last that I might be slightly more sensitive to bright light, but not as anything to be concerned about.
    I often seem to be one of the later drivers to reach for the glasses, passing loads of wearers, but when I do…… the above happens!
    Q

Flaperon

Ah, I see (erm, or not as the case might be!). You could try non-polarised specs, the polarised ones can suffer problems with some plastics and especially liquid crystal displays, which might account for the problem looking at the speedometer.

Decent specs have a percentage figure which indicates how much light they let through, so you could experiment a bit.

Christowkid
    Free Member

yeah…. I keep promising myself some yellow tints for my M frames perhaps ths is the thig that makes me buy them!
    According to the specification, they let a lot of right through.
    cheers
    Q

spikerman_1
    Free Member

try the building yellow safety specs for a tenner, what can it hurt?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘driving – advice for anti-glare sun glasses?’ is closed to new replies.