• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iolo.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Driveway finish inspiration please !!
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all.

Need to get the driveway redone on our house as the tarmac is crumbling and starting to dip etc.

I need some inspiration on the various types of finish you can get nowadays.

Father in law has block paving which looked good to start with but now has weeds coming up etc.

Wife likes this new resin stuff but I’m not sure on durability and cost etc

What do you have ??

Bregante

We’ve got the resin stuff. 4 years now and counting and to be honest it does now need a re seal because some moss is starting to form but that may be due to the heacvy tree coverage on our road. Mine is pretty much the same as this picture (my black border is much narrower) but it was done by the same contractor. Can’t remember the exact square footage of our drive but it is almost exactly the shape pictured and I can easily get two cars on it side by side. Cost £1750 iirc including the brickwork around the edges.

I’d go for the same again if given the choice

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Had our new drive block paved by the builders who put up our extension 2 years ago. No moss or weeds as yet.

wrightyson
    Free Member

New tarmac with a nice border always looks good, block paving is a susceptible to “dipping” as you call it as much as tarmac is when the sub-base isn’t sound. If it’s a small drive where cars pull on and off in similar positions everyday then resin is susceptible to wear. I like patterned concrete but one failed service under your drive and the patch cut out looks shite!

gravity-slave
    Free Member

What do you have ??

Crumbling bumpy tarmac!

It’s a long and narrow drive and old house so we will probably go for flags with a grass strip down the middle like cart tracks.

Decided to leave it for now and buy another bike!

parkesie
    Free Member

Block deffinately block

renton
    Free Member

Bregante how is the resin stuff holding up ? Have you got any loose bits ?

Bregante

Nope. Its all very sound

Tracey

Had ours blocked 10 years ago. Gets a power scrub once a year, not had a problem with weeds or dipping, usually has three cars parked across it.

ThePinkster

If security is an issue I’d go for a nice noisy gravel every time.

It’s a great deterrent for ‘uninvited guests’.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I’ve got a noisy gravel drive from when I extended it when the kids lived at home with their cars too. I dug it out nice and deep, whackered diwn proper sub layer and membrane then 6″ depth of 20mm gravel….went for 20mm to avoid the gravel stuck in new tyres issues. No puddles, no skating rink in ice, no weeds and a big of added crunching under foot security. Plus, whilst our driveway may not appear as “posh” as all the other block paved ones or crumbling resin ones or splitting pressed concrete ones on the estate, I have had and expect no issues in the near future. 😆

pictonroad

Something permeable please, all these paved drives are contributing to localised surface water flooding and depriving the trees of water.

iolo
    Free Member

pictonroad – Member
    Something permeable please, all these paved drives are contributing to localised surface water flooding and depriving the trees of water.
    POSTED 2 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Driveway finish inspiration please !!’ is closed to new replies.