Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Drivetrain issue
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Went for a pootle round Pines on sunday and my chain kept dropping from the middle to the inner under any amount of pressure. This got progressively worse to the point it slipped when setting off.

The chain and cassette are almost new, bout 3 rides old. Can only assume my chainrings are done for. Am I right?

If so, next question is:

Middleburn Slick-Shift Hardcoat or Shimano SLX M660 or RaceFace Race Ring.

any views, reviews and general opinions would be appreciated

Cheers

Lifer
    Free Member

How old are the chainrings?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Worn chainring or poor chainline.

alexpalacefan

I had the Middleburn. Sh*te!
    I went for the SLX.

APF

ruminant
    Free Member

lifer, their over a year old maybe 2. its just odd went to Llandegla fortnight before and had no issues

one vote for SLX any more?

cynic-al
    Free Member

btw I'm a tubby female – do you trust my advice?

ruminant
    Free Member

God you took your time turning up cynic

only if you smile nicely 🙂

Edit: sorry you were second post weren't you

cookeaa

My Vote goes with shimano rings of any flavour I’m quite happy with Deore at the minute and SLX seem good comparative value….

ruminant
    Free Member

UPDATE:

Bought the SLX, it doesn't fit a Truvativ Stylo crank, bloody stupid odd shaped shimano bloody ring

I'm now stuck what to get as I don't want to spend weeks buying different rings to see if they fit.

Who else is running stylo's and what rings have you use to replace the stock ones, would like to get a 34t if poss.

but just need it to fit first

cheers

retro83
    Free Member

Strange. I had problems with an inner shimano ring fitting my GXP crank, but the middle one was okay.

Can you not file it down to make it fit? Took a while as it was steel (deore inner) but it did then work.

ruminant
    Free Member

Hi sent it back now, but it was round rather than flat at the bolt holes, would have been there ages

about 5mm too deep

looking at a blackspire superpro or a TA specialities or even a deore if it fits

Went to my local LBS to get a ring, EPIC FAIL, NO RINGS INSTOCK WHATSOEVER. not a small shop either 😐

BigJohn

Deore middle and granny rings for me. Using an XT cassette and Yumeya chain. But I do run a bash ring to hide the long lasting steel rings.

DenDennis
    Free Member

I have GXP truvativ- used middleburn replacement rings, have one by one switched all 3 over, all fit fine.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

My Stylo wore out – silly LBS fitted a new cassette and chain but insisted that the chainrings were fine. First ride and it slipped everywhere. Went back, looked at option and it was cheaper to get a new SLX chainset (including BB) – a really good unit although I've just worn that out (middle and big ring + BB) and again it was cheaper to buy a whole crankset – XT this time. So I have two SLX crank arms that are still fine! The XT is shinier though.

Not sure if it worried anyone else but I do hate it when it's cheaper to buy a whole unit rather than the item you need – new chainrings and BB – get a new chainset. New rear hub needed (mine died badly) – cheaper to get a whole new Hope Hoop than just the hub. Bit wasteful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Drivetrain issue’ is closed to new replies.