Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Drivetrain creaking/clicking.
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So this is a strange one.

First proper ride, brand new bike, Sram GX 1×11. About halfway round Llandegla, I started hearing a clicking/creak.

Didn’t do it coasting downhill etc. Does it when pedaling (seated and standing).

Can emulate it by just sitting on the bike and back pedaling (in any gear).

Not as pronounced with no weight on bike (but still there). It’s like a notch every half a pedal stroke, which is louder when the bike is weighted.

Any ideas?

rOcKeTdOg

Check the pedal threads have anti-seize on. Then check bolts are torqued to correct tolerance inc chainring bolts & cassette lock ring. If this doesn’t sort it Take it back to the shop you bought it from

johnw1984
    Free Member

Tried the pedals, it’s not them. Still does it when you spin the cranks from the arms.

It’s a spiderless chainring, so I’ll take the crank off and check that.

XD Cassette, so I’ll check that (although there’s zero play in it and everything seems straight.

Also checked all the links to make sure none are stiff.

rOcKeTdOg

Back to the shop then and get them to strip it for you, it shouldn’t make any noise as a brand new bike that’s been PDi’d in a shop before collection

johnw1984
    Free Member

That’s going to be a last resort as it’s bloody miles away 🙂

I’ll strip a few bits off and check them over first, if it doesn’t get solved it’s a road trip!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

If you have Crank bros pedals then there could also be excess play in the pedal spindles, try to move pedal relative to spindle to look for play. Mine did this, started with a creak/click, which after time became a clunk. New spindles = nice and quiet

As per RocketDog definitely check the cassette lockring torque, had this cause a creak before too when loose

johnw1984
    Free Member

Definitely not the pedals as it does it without touching them.

Not the chainring or BB, just had them off and checked.

Only things left are cassette, hub and rear mech. Could a too short chain cause this? Seems to be more pronounced under weight.

I’ll check the rest when I get home tomorrow night. Nice list to tick off at least.

oldnpastit

what kind of bottom of bracket so you have?

johnw1984
    Free Member

It’s just a standard Shimano HT2 scew in type.

One ride old and still feels and looks brand new. Taken the chain off and spin the cranks, they’re super smooth.

I’m suspecting a bent mech hanger now. I’ve got a tool to straighten it so I’ll have a go at that.

Checked the cassette and that seems spot on.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Drivetrain creaking/clicking.’ is closed to new replies.