Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Drivetrain cleaning – sugar soap??
  • vorlich
    Free Member

I spotted this on the shelf in the hut and it occurred to me it might do the job.
    I’d run out of Gunk, so gave it a go.
    It’s brilliant! Costs pennies too.

It must be too good to be true. A couple of things that spring to mind; accelerated corrosion and potential pad contamination.

Anyone else use it on the bike?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hope you didn’t let it get near any aluminium components. it will dissolve those.

vorlich
    Free Member

Nice, I knew there would be something.

It was near the rear hub, but not prolonged and given a good rinse off afterward.

Should be OK on the chain though, as long as it’s off the bike.

Anyone got better cheapo degreaser?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Hang on, my chemistry might be a bit rusty. Am I confusing sugar soap and sugar crystals? Isn’t sugar soap sodium phosphate? If so, I don’t know what it will do to your drivetrain. I think sugar crystals are sodium hydroxide. That will dissolve alumninium.

vorlich
    Free Member

I read the label prior to using it, but it’s a bit fuzzy about what it actually is. No obvious warnings, except about skin/eyes.

Googling suggests Sodium Carbonate or Sodium Phosphate.

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t it be used to strip paint?

vorlich
    Free Member

I thought is was used for cleaning surfaces prior to painting, rather than actually stripping.

Found this data sheet:
    http://www.birdbrand.co.uk/msds/Sugar%20Soap.pdf

acidchunks

If I’m doing a thorough job I’ll strip the rings, chain, cassette and jockey wheels off and soak them in white spirit. Most of the gunk disolves and whatever is left can be easily removed with stiff brush.

jota180
    Free Member

Sugar soap will be fine

I just use very hot water and detergent, works a treat, better still when no one’s looking, pop them in the dishwasher.

pudd
    Free Member

If it does damage or corrode your alloy parts; you could consider unnecessary legal action against the manufacturer of the sugar soap or maybe the frame, or even both.
    You could also tell the council and the police. Then if else fails you could ultimately move house.
    Oh dear its all just too much to bare, what with those pesky neighbours and their hounds from hell. My heart bleeds for you.
    Poor little man.

vorlich
    Free Member

Oh dear its all just too much to bare, what with those pesky neighbours and their hounds from hell. My heart bleeds for you.
    Poor little man.

Yawn

schnor
    Free Member

I’ve been using it for years, I get the powder cheap from B&Q and mix it 1/3 in an old finishline spray bottle. No problems on seals / pads / etc and no corrosion on any aluminium parts

vorlich
    Free Member

Cheers Schnor, good to know.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Drivetrain cleaning – sugar soap??’ is closed to new replies.