Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Drivers ankle – is there such a thing?
  • Garry_Lager

Getting periodic ankle problems that seem to line up with when I drive a car more than usual. I do relatively little driving, though, just an hour or two at weekends normally – so not sure if this is a bogus theory.

Anyone had similar? It’s the left ankle, so would be operating the clutch.
    Quite sore and lasts for days, limping a bit to avoid putting full weight on it.

butcher

Could just be from something else. I always get a sore arse cheek when in a driving position, especially over prolonged periods, but that’s from riding the bike. Yet strangely it never bothers me on the bike. It’s worst driving home after a ride.

Travis

I’ve just started getting this.
    On my right ankle though.

I found changing my type of trainers I use when I was in the okay to be of benefit.
    Going from a thicker sole, to a thinner one has helped.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds feasible to me. Changing footwear worth a shot. Or you could try getting the issue diagnosed and then doing the appropriate strengthening exercises, but changing footwear would be easier, right?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s quite a strain holding a throttle pedal in the same position for a long period of time and could cause soreness. Can you raise or lower the seat or slide it back or forwards to make it more comfortable?

br
    Free Member

or buy an Auto 🙂

jam-bo

I sold a car because it gave me a terrible back.

When I had a dodgy knee this summer, an hour of driving/changing gear made it considerably worse. It it hadn’t fixed itself I was going to buy an automatic.

Solo
    Free Member

Drivers ankle – is there such a thing?

Yeap, I have two. Each one placed between a lower leg and either my right or left foot. Jolly handy.
    HTH.
    🙂

noltae
    Free Member

Not wishing to resurrect an old thread but actually I find flip flops great for alleviating ‘drivers ankle’ – Use your big toe to hook on the pedal when one starts to experience the fatigue / repetitive strain ..

somouk
    Free Member

I get this when driving longer distances, also means my ankle hurts when running in exactly the same spot.

matt_outandabout

Cruise control. 8)

cumberlanddan
    Free Member

I used to get something similar when I did fewer miles, though that was the right ankle. I presume you’ve tried shifting the seat around to get a better angle?

stumpy01

matt_outandabout – Member

Cruise control

I’m struggling to see how that sorts a sore LEFT ankle.

Automatic gearbox – would probably help. Cruise control – you’re doing it wrong.
    😆

Overstretching a bit, perhaps? Or maybe even not stretching enough. Try moving the seat a notch closer or further away as a starting point I reckon. Different shoes may also help, although it could just be you aren’t suited to that car (the ergonomics of it).
    One of my Wife’s cars (can’t remember which one, now) caused her to get really bad sciatica – once she got rid of the car it went completely and has never come back.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Take your wallet out of your back pocket

Garry_Lager

Thks all for the suggestions. I think the problem is that I drive so irregularly, that when I do I forget to think about experimenting with the position. I’ll have a tinker.

matt_outandabout

Where is your left foot when driving? On floor, rest or pedal…?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Drivers ankle – is there such a thing?’ is closed to new replies.