Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • Driver opened door onto my car …
  • BoardinBob

Here’s the damage which I’d happily live with !

Was she Fatima Whitbread?

breadcrumb

I’d be tempted to push the worst of it out.

She must of opened her door with a bit of force!

Oh and get that cable tie trimmed.

TrekEX8
    Free Member

If you go through your insurers, they might write it off!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Not trying to scaremonger, but the leading edge of that looks a bit dangerous. I’ve seen a big chunk of a lasses thigh sliced off by the corner of a wing panel of a car that hit her, and that was one that was flush. Yours is sticking out a bit, particularly the lower corner. I’d suggest fixing that.

timber

As tga says, that is a snag hazard and would probably be picked up on MoT.
    Have only ever asked for my cheap old cars to be repaired to road legal, often they have sent more than the parts cost. Not to mention that people have left notes for the smallest of damage on my cheap sheds of cars, but scattered from damage on the nicer ones.

butcher

Not trying to scaremonger, but the leading edge of that looks a bit dangerous. I’ve seen a big chunk of a lasses thigh sliced off by the corner of a wing panel of a car that hit her, and that was one that was flush. Yours is sticking out a bit, particularly the lower corner. I’d suggest fixing that.

Could be an MOT failure for that exact reason too. Any sharp edges sticking out. [edit: beaten to it]

£150 sounds reasonable to me. Even if the wing is not replaced, it’s compensation for any effort fixing it, the loss in value on the car, and the fact that you have to drive round knowing there’s a big dent in it, looking like a scruff.

breadcrumb

In fact just get a second wing and swap it, on a banger it wouldn’t bother me if it was a odd colour. You might get lucky and find the same colour.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

IMO she just wants a receipt as proof of settlement so you can’t then claim it later on.

Just agree then email receipt for her payment to you in respect to damages caused and her payment satisfies you in full.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

She paid and sent a really nice email apologising for the damage etc

Sent an email back received with thanks etc

fallsoffalot
    Free Member

some really stupid comments on this thread
    if i had done that damage to someones car and they said just give me £150,iwould honestly be over the moon.

bearnecessities

I’m really struggling to imagine how opening a car door has done that!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Did she repeatedly slam her door into your wing to do that?… Or is the wing made of cheese?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Driving one of these maybe?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I think you are lucky to get away with her paying up. Do a bit of googling and its more 50/50 fault.

Patronising mode – maybe next time you will give parked cars a bit more room

nickjb
    Free Member

I think you are lucky to get away with her paying up. Do a bit of googling and its more 50/50 fault.

Huh?

Rule 239 of the Highway Code states that motorists “MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for Cyclists or other traffic.”

I accept that you should try to anticipate someone opening a door but there’s no way you can predict every time and it is not possible to leave a doors width on UK roads

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member

Patronising mode – maybe next time you will give parked cars a bit more room

wasnt possible if I had swerved out of the way id have taken other cars out !

Rule 239 of the Highway Code states that motorists “MUST ensure you do not hit anyone when you open your door. Check for Cyclists or other traffic.”

correct !

bearnecessities – Member

I’m really struggling to imagine how opening a car door has done that!
    Posted 2 hours ago # Report-Post
    cloudnine – Member

Did she repeatedly slam her door into your wing to do that?… Or is the wing made of cheese?

i was doing about 15mph when she opened her door

Cougar

wasnt possible if I had swerved out of the way id have taken other cars out !

Playing devil’s advocate for a moment,

If there wasn’t room to pass safely, you should’ve waited for a break in traffic, no-one’s suggesting you should swerve wildly into oncoming traffic. Really you shouldn’t have been so close in the first place.

I remember being taught that on my driving lessons. I appreciate that it’s often impractical advice, on our roads you’d spend half your life waiting behind parked cars and there’s plenty of back roads where there isn’t that much space even without other traffic. Point is, they could potentially have tried to argue that you were too close if it went to the insurance.

boxelder

Bet it knackered her door!
    At first I thought you were both parked and you were being a bit of a git, but if you were moving and she didn’t look properly, it could have been serious. I had someone do that to me once when cycling. I went up and over the open door, bending it sufficiently that it wouldn’t close. Few scrapes to the bike. She went ape shit at me saying your husband would go mad and didn’t know she’d borrowed the car…..
    I was too shocked to do much but ride away shaking my head.

boxelder

If there wasn’t room to pass safely, you should’ve waited for a break in traffic, no-one’s suggesting you should swerve wildly into oncoming traffic. Really you shouldn’t have been so close in the first place.

Or perhaps she’d parked badly narrowing the road available, so he was passing slowly and carefully? Round here you’d be waiting all day if you had to give 1m or whatever clearance when passing.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Here’s to you bumping a posh motor or your car dying and costing you double.

Enjoy spending her £150 eh

boxelder

Enjoy spending her £150 eh

I would only expect money I’d paid out for repairs – you’re not doing her any favours.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Haven’t read the whole thread as I’m getting dizzy with the moral high ground rubbish but looking at that pic, and this is a genuine q, is that wing not an mot failure due to bits sticking out which may cause harm to ped’s. If not a failure at least an advisory. ❓

nuke

some really stupid comments on this thread
    if i had done that damage to someones car and they said just give me £150,iwould honestly be over the moon.

^ this. To me, if someone damages your car, you should be compensated to the cost of repairing the car to the condition prior to the accident…it you don’t want to get the car repaired and are happy to drive around with a damaged car then thats your prerogative but that still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be entitled to the cost of the repairs.

Fwiw I think the person who damaged the car got off lightly…bodywork repairs are expensive regardless of age/value of car

spectabilis
    Free Member

Why should you expect compensation for an incident which hasn’t caused you any bother?
    OP states he couldn’t care less about the aesthetics of the car and wouldn’t be using the £ for repairs due to this. He also suggests the other party may not be exactly flush as she couldn’t afford it, which makes demanding the money even more strange IMO especially this time of year…

Actually no **** that let’s hope for a world where we are compensated with money every time some steps on your toe or bumps into you in the street….

So yeah enjoy your spending your hard earned 😳

MrsToast
    Free Member

My car is going into the body shop on Monday for a similar dent on the rear wheel arch – nowhere near as bad (just a dent, nowhere as deep, no cracking or paint damage), but same shape. I don’t know how it happened for sure, as somebody did it while it was parked on a supermarket car park, and decided to leave the dent, some white paint off their car, but not their details. They must have used some force to do that to a stationary vehicle, because the wheel arch is reinforced. The chap in the garage used his Cluedo skills – white 4×4 letting its heavy door smash into it was his conclusion.

Cheapest (but recommended) place quoted £220, most expensive place quoted £336. I’m still bloody furious about it. Supermarket sadly didn’t have CCTV covering that area of the car park.

bensales
    Free Member

Mrs Toast – Member
    My car is going into the body shop on Monday for a similar dent on the rear wheel arch – nowhere near as bad (just a dent, nowhere as deep, no cracking or paint damage), but same shape. I don’t know how it happened for sure, as somebody did it while it was parked on a supermarket car park, and decided to leave the dent, some white paint off their car, but not their details.

Seems to be a lot of it around. My wife’s one month old car is currently in the body shop having it’s rear wing and bumper replaced and painted after a lorry/bus side swiped it whilst it was parked. Unsurprisingly no details, so it’s costing us £350 excess and increased premiums. Actual quote was well north of £1000.

I know it was a lorry or bus because all the damage is rubber from a wheel up to a height of about a metre.

Bregante

Happened to mine when I’d had it 6 days. I’m still fuming now and it happened 9 years ago!

noltae
    Free Member

As OP said motor is a bit of a banger – One could just pull that dent out and t cut – happened to me once and I told the bloke in question ‘no drama’ and to be more careful in future.. Said offender was really appreciative of my chilled approach and thanked me – in the grand scheme of things we all need to be more understanding of one another – One of the few advantages of running old bangers I’d say .. No sense in taking car to an insurance brokers body shop and putting a shiny new panel worth a grand – that’s more than the value of the car … It’s our ‘sue me’ culture that ultimately drives up insurance premiums ..

cruzcampo
    Free Member

I had exactly the same when a lady went into my bumper. Offered to settle out of insurance. She would only pay the bodyshop doing the work in the end, to “prove” it had been done and i’d not kept the money and left the bumper. Work cost £160.

Insurance would have put a new bumper on it and she’d have lost her no claims.

I ended up taking a day off work and was without the car.

Next time i’ll go through insurance, twas a right faff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

**** doing them a favour. Been here done this and for the attitudes shown in this thread for folk against you being paid and not fixing it….. Its your property that has been damaged by her idiocy so why shouldnt you expect her to pay – your cars now worth considerably more than 150quid less in value when you come to sell it! Thats why he should be entitled to keep the money and not fix a low value banger.

Insurance next time

Just stick it into the body shop and get it fixed . Youll be no worse off and yout car will be in its ore crash state.

Cougar

Why should you expect compensation for an incident which hasn’t caused you any bother?
    OP states he couldn’t care less about the aesthetics of the car and wouldn’t be using the £ for repairs

Until it fails its MOT anyway.

Edric64
    Free Member

Take the money dont get it done why should you ? She damaged your car so its worth less its up to you whether you fix it or not .

spectabilis
    Free Member

Until it fails its MOT anyway.

Maybe employ a bit of common sense and knock in any protruding metal beforehand?
    But then looking at the pic of the damage it doesn’t appear to be an issue anyway, plenty worse out there MOTd

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Mot not due till next July

I’ll be knocking it out tomorrow morning oh and my fee is £150 !

cruzcampo
    Free Member

cruzcampo – Member
    I had exactly the same when a lady went into my bumper. Offered to settle out of insurance. She would only pay the bodyshop doing the work in the end, to “prove” it had been done and i’d not kept the money and left the bumper. Work cost £160.

Insurance would have put a new bumper on it and she’d have lost her no claims.

I ended up taking a day off work and was without the car.

Next time i’ll go through insurance, twas a right faff.

Couldn’t make this up, I posted this yesterday afternoon, did I jinx myself?

Out in town last night a car cut me right up from the right hand lane, scraped all down the front wing and bumper. She tried to drive off, then denied she’d hit me. On seeing the damage to my car and hers she then begged to go outside of insurance, she’d had a black box fitted to carry on driving, and had already gone through 2 claims this year. Then trying to give me details of a local bodyshop who would polish it out for £100!

As I sit here now I wonder should I go through all the faff of time off work, no car for 2 days again while local bodyshop does it, and the faff of chasing her for money, or just go through insurance and get a courtesy car?

Cougar

I’d go through insurance on that purely because she’s clearly a bloody menace.

Push for a courtesy car too.

bearnecessities

Unlucky!

That’s got to be a clear case for insurance though…for several reasons.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

OP is clearly ripping the arse out of it. Whether that is a good or a bad thing depends on your morality. I’d be knocking a receipt up and giving her that.

soobalias
    Free Member

all this reminds me of

“middle aged woman in a multi-storey car park, has seen a space open up and pulls past the space to reverse in. In the split second she is past the space, the bloke in the sports car whizzes into the empty space, jumps out of his car and as he walks away says “thats what you can do with good driving”
    woman looks him in the eye, selects reverse and slams into his car
    “thats what you can do when you dont care about your insurance premiums”

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

wanmankylung – Member

OP is clearly ripping the arse out of it

Hardly ! My time is worth £150 thats time not spent with my children/diy stuff enjoying the weekend.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Driver opened door onto my car …’ is closed to new replies.