Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Driver opened door onto my car …
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

2 weeks ago, she admitted fault etc.

Big dent in wing on my commute old banger car.

Me being the nice guy said either pay me to have it fixed or go through insurance, she said shed rather pay me so i got a quote for £150 which she agreed to pay (she emailed this)

We agreed a date that she would pay me, again I was kind enough to give her two weeks to pay as she didnt have enough to pay me.

Today I get an email saying she will transfer it over this eve and can she have a receipt of the work done.

I don’t have to get the work done was going to do it myself, way I see it I done her a favour by not going through insurance her excess would have been £250 at least plus price hike next time she renews…

Some people ! next time I wont be so nice

What would you do re receipt ?

Pook

Knock one up in word.

LeeW

Write one out yourself and send her a picture of the completed work.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Just give her a receipt. Put your name and address, the date and “received the sum of £150 for damage to car door”.

leave it at that. It’s a receipt. Only give it to her on cleared funds though. If she complains, tell her you’ve done her a favour as the damage would cost £250 to repair at a garage.

johndoh
    Free Member

Get someone to forge you a receipt?

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you cannot see why she has asked for this then you are being a little unimaginative. If your car is not worth much and you are not going to repair it properly then reduce the payment as she is doing you a favour as well as you still pocket some money.

She is fixing your car not giving you a payment above this which is what you seem to expect.
    You are taking the piss IMHO rather than being the Mr reasonable you seem to think you are [ no offence and i suspect most would do what you are doing]

techsmechs
    Free Member

If you have a quote for £150, when the work gets done for £150 send her the invoice for £150?

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t see the issue. Just pay the £150 to get the work done then present the invoice. It’s not like you’re trying to make a profit out of the situation is it…

allthepies
    Free Member

Just reply “sure thing”

Then go to ground after the £££ is yours 🙂

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

I’d do the same if I was her. She’s basically asking for proof of the job being done so you don’t take the cash and then tell the insurance company to effectively claim again

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Up to me what I do with the cash heck I may treat myself to something nice I don’t have to have the work done!

She’s still quids in !

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I really won’t be claiming from my insurance !

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1667879?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google+shopping&mkwid=M0GkWyO4&pcrid=49126481821&plid=&pdv=c&gclid=CLzb97WTjMICFYXJtAodkz4Akw

If I were her I’d buy you one of these.
    If you’re fixing the car why is she giving you cash to the value of the quote? Why did you bother getting a quote at all?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Nothing beats a bit of good ol fashioned fraud….

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

techsmechs – Member

Nothing beats a bit of good ol fashioned fraud….

How is taking £150 fraud she hit my car ! I should have gone through insurance which she didnt want to do !

Cougar

The cheesy one has it. Would you give £150 to someone you didn’t know, without any sort of proof? For all she knows, Mr Nice Guy might pocket the cash and then go “what money?”

Up to me what I do with the cash

It is, but do you think she’d agree if you told her?

I’m kind of torn on this. If a stranger did £150 worth of damage to my property, I’d expect to be compensated to the value of the damage. But should I be bound to spend the money on the repair? I’m not so sure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Up to me what I do with the cash heck I may treat myself to something nice I don’t have to have the work done!

Try that with your insurance company

She’s still quids in

as are you but you commit fraud* and feel like you are helping her 🙄

really won’t be claiming from my insurance !

is that because you would have to get it fixed, have no money and your premiums would be affected…still she is quids in eh and you are doing her a favour by not even repairing it….gawd bless you sir gawd bless you.

* probably deception but IANAL

Bregante

I should have gone through insurance which she didnt want to do !

Do that then.

Or just tell her that the damage has reduced your cars value by £150 but you have no intention of getting it repaired.

project
    Free Member

I don’t have to get the work done was going to do it myself, way I see it I done her a favour by not going through insurance her excess would have been £250 at least plus price hike next time she renews.

by making a claim you and her insurance will go up next year.

She has obviously been on some forum for advice

techsmechs
    Free Member

Then have your car repaired for £150 and present the invoice.

Not

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Last time someone bumped my old banger I wasn’t going to repair it, I told them just that. Made an old man’s day it did!

martinhutch

I really don’t see why OP has to get it fixed – as long as he gives the other driver a signed statement saying he has accepted £150 in full and final settlement of the claim, what’s the problem?

If we’re being ethical sticklers, the other driver won’t be informing her insurance, as she is obliged to do under her policy t&cs.

The woman is paying £150 to make it go away, it’s not like it is a rip-off price.

oldschool

As Blazin-saddles says. Give receipt for amount paid, she will want some acknowledgement of you having received it. Stops you subsequently claiming via insurance.
    Otherwise it’s hard for her to defend.
    Similar to paying via paypal, collecting in person. Then opening a dispute as ‘goods not received’

Drac

Me being the nice guy said either pay me to have it fixed or go through insurance, she said shed rather pay me so i got a quote for £150 which she agreed to pay (she emailed this)

Well you need to get the work done then as that’s what you agreed to do in your email.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

When she transfers the money I’ll send an email saying received with thanks.

I was happy to go through insurance I’ve nothing to hide its her that didn’t want to !

Way I see it she has still saved a lot of money !

The end story is you can’t damage someone’s property she chose to pay me !

Heck I think I might give it to charity !

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

I never said I’d get it done I said it would cost £150 to fix and I said this verbally to her

anagallis_arvensis

My bike was knocked over by a dust bin wagon. Their insurance coughed up the cash for the fix and I got it fixed and serviced but left the odd scratched panel. Was that fraud.

Drac

I never said I’d get it done I said it would cost £150 to fix and I said this verbally to her

“Me being the nice guy said either pay me to have it fixed or go through insurance”

So, what did you say?

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You got me your honour!

Okay I never put anything in writing to her

* hangs head in shame *

ninfan
    Free Member

Give her a receipt from you confirming receipt of the cash

She can whistle for anything else.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Me being the nice guy said either pay me to have it fixed or go through insurance, she said shed rather pay me so i got a quote for £150 which she agreed to pay

My idea of ‘being the nice guy’ would have been to tell her to forget about it. After all, it was your ‘old banger car’. Some nice karma for that I imagine… and possibly a shag…

Was she fit?

breadcrumb

Just take a photo of the other side of your car but mirror it.

Then you have the proof too.

😉

hairyscary

Bregante – Member.

I should have gone through insurance which she didnt want to do !
    Do that then.

Or just tell her that the damage has reduced your cars value by £150 but you have no intention of getting it repaired.

[/quote]

This

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

My idea of ‘being the nice guy’ would have been to tell her to forget about it. After all, it was your ‘old banger car’. Some nice karma for that I imagine… and possibly a shag…

Was she fit?

I’m happily married !

And no she wasnt !

Karma…Like when my Classic Vw Camper van was hit and no one bothered to leave anything ….that type of Karma you mean ?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Karma…Like when my Classic Vw Camper van was hit and no one bothered to leave anything ….that type of Karma you mean ?

“Be the change you wish to see…”

Sorry, I’ll stop being all zen and annoying now 😉

I always thought the old VW camper to be the classic hippy wagon. When did it become the classic devious profiteer nice guy wagon?

Drac

I’m happily married !

So you’re the one.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I’m happily married !

So you’re the one.

I am !

singletrackmind

Tell her your skint and need the cash upfront to pay for the repair .
    Then ignore any contact in the future, should there be any .
    Up to you if you choose to get the work done and by whom.
    BTW £150 is rather cheap for any sort of panel replacemant and spraying.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Here’s the damage which I’d happily live with !

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

New wing would cost £45? for a pattern part, spray at least £130 I’m guessing from previous work I’ve had done. she’s quids in either way.

As before give her a receipt for the cash in full settlement. nothing else is needed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Driver opened door onto my car …’ is closed to new replies.