• This topic has 54 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Driver jailed over bike-tow death (BBC News)
  • allankelly

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8057536.stm

Eeeech! How many times do people do this and somebody doesn’t die? Loads! What a disaster. 1 life lost, 1 life ruined, plus families and so on.

al.

marty
    Free Member

“Loads!”

really?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

We used to do it towing a pallet with a bit of rope round the towball, see how long you can hang on …

… but this was rural Shropshire, you have to make your own entertainment 😉

lowey

“Loads”

Hmmmm, cant say I;ve ever indulged myself.

BoardinBob

Mr Hollister, 37, had drunk four cans of cider before the stunt in Easter Compton, near Bristol, in 2008, the court heard.

Natural selection. It’s about time we thinned the herd a bit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Err, was doing something similar with my mate riding a mountain board down country lanes while clinging onto my wing mirror. We were quite sober tho.

Hmm. In retrospect was a bit too “extreme”.

I think I’ve grown (a bit) since then.

soobalias
    Free Member

been there, substitute rollerboots for the bike.

i was the driver 🙁
    his face will never be the same.

lesson learned, lucky escape.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Snow + canteen tea tray + Austin Allegro with towbar + 20ft of climbing rope + deserted car park = an afternoon of hilarity.

But on an open road, have to agree with BoardinBob.

coffeeking
    Free Member

All innocent fun, not sure why anyone should be jailed for it when both parties consented and knew the risks. It is bloody hard to hold on to a moving vehicle on uneven ground.

richc
    Free Member

he got jailed as he tried to cover it up.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have expected the driver to get such a harsh sentence. Perhaps they are getting harder…I doubt there’s much precedent fo rthis (esp since that charge was created)

snaps
    Free Member

Yes I think the judge was making the point that he took a month to come foward.
    We used to ride down a long hill to an industrial estate on our skateboards & grab the trailers of artic lorries to tow us back up!
    A bit silly looking back, but seemed a laugh at the time.

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

“called paramedics but left the scene after providing scant details.”
    so he was drink driving then?

also lied to police, claiming he had just stopped to help the victim and had not been involved in the accident.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

After a long sunny afternoon of drinking at a country pub I had a tow to my mates house. I was on a schwinn cruiser and the tow was up some seriously steep but relatively quiet country lane. Luckily I wasn’t ‘thinned from the herd’!

theflatboy
    Free Member

me and my friends used to get tows all the time off drivers in london when we were younger, and none of them were consenting (or very happy, when they noticed!).

old style taxis had protruding petrol caps on the nearside back corner, they were perfect for it. 🙂

marty
    Free Member

there’s clearly more idiots about than i’d imagined…

😉

njee20
    Free Member

I think that’s pretty bad when drivers who mow down cyclists get away with it, harsh sentence.

I’ve done it before, from CyB up the road to the log cabins, it was pretty sketchy, but I still think that’s too harsh. I guess they’re making an example of him because he lied.

Wozza
    Free Member

Bike + Rope + Rollerskates + Brother = My first broken arm.

You’d have to be a dumbass to do this with a car. Darwin Award perhaps?

BoardinBob

After a long sunny afternoon of drinking at a country pub I had a tow to my mates house. I was on a schwinn cruiser and the tow was up some seriously steep but relatively quiet country lane. Luckily I wasn’t ‘thinned from the herd’!

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: “It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs – that is to say – is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

GW
    Free Member

That’s harsh! I’ve also done it loads, usually holding onto onto the side of the car with the window down – you get a good view of what’s coming that way. a mate once lost it in a hole at the edge of the fireroad while being towed and lost his DH bike under a transit. seen an intense M1 flattened too as the uplift tractor he decided to lassoo his own cord to reversed to let a returning tractor pass and the tool towing himself had wrapped the rope round his stem instead of holding it.
    way back before all the politics etc. I got towed up the fire road at inners at about 40 with a tow rope :oops:. 😆

coffeeking
    Free Member

I used to get towed by wagons up a road on the way to work, several times they yelled for me to grab on and I’d meet them daily. They accelerated slowly as it was a steep hill anyway, and the road was fairly smooth and straight so it was a calculated risk. Certainly wouldnt do it without the driver saying so though as you have no idea if they know you’re there.

Need to be super-vigilant too, fortunately wagons move slower than cars so them having to swerve for things happens really slowly and you can just let go and pedal on 😀

richpips
    Free Member

Seems a harsh sentence to me.

The bike rider was consenting to be towed.

Would a team car driver in the TDF or other bike race receive similar treatment. I think not.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Would a team car driver in the TDF or other bike race receive similar treatment. I think not.

They probably would not be drunk, or leave the scene, or lie about it when questioned for a whole month, or do it on an open public road though.

BoardinBob

The bike rider was consenting to be towed.

Most junkies will consent to shooting up. Will we let the drug dealers off because the junkies were up for it?

PJ266
    Free Member

Yep, i’ve done it a few times before, clinging onto the window, or my personal fave was onto the cap on the edge of roofbars which popped off as i was holding it. Bit sketchy, bit silly but id do it again, laugh innit? Probs best not to do it after a few drinks mind.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i got a tow off the bar on the back deck of a traditional routemaster and the conductor told me off. my protestations while still being towed that i had an oyster card fell on deaf ears, sadly. 😆

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

They had oyster cards in 1956? 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

they’re still running on the number 9 route and were on a lot more than that at the time, about 4 years ago. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Most junkies will consent to shooting up. Will we let the drug dealers off because the junkies were up for it?

Drug dealers do not get done for murder in these circumstances though.

BoardinBob

Drug dealers do not get done for murder in these circumstances though.

If they can be charged, they will

sputnik
    Free Member

I loved downhill skateboarding as a teenager and had quite a rep for going down the longest/steepest roads. Not much traffic where we did this.
    There would be a small crowd to cheer and one or two would have a motorbike. They would tow us back up the hill at speeds faster than that we did down. Had some close moments when your wheels hit a little(too big ) stone… How I miss those times. 🙂 Never bothered with knee/arm guards or helmets either.

duntmatter
    Free Member

But they can’t be charged.

BoardinBob

But they can’t be charged.

Fail.

Police investigating the death of Leah Betts yesterday arrested a teenager in connection with supplying the drug.

A 17-year-old youth from Basildon, Essex, was charged with supplying a Class A drug and bailed to appear at Chelmsford magistrates’ on 10 January. Leah died after taking the drug at her 18th birthday party at her home in Latchingdon, Essex, on 10 November.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Got my Raleigh Arena 5 speed up to 60mph before I bottled it, holding onto my mates shoulder, he was on a Yahama RXS100 at the time.

Mind you I was 14 and didn’t know any better, we didn’t have helmets in them days either.

richpips
    Free Member

They probably would not be drunk, or leave the scene, or lie about it when questioned for a whole month, or do it on an open public road though.

It doesn’t say he’s drunk.

Anyway as can be seen on this thread. It’s something plenty of us have done and lived to tell the tale. The witness says they were “whooping with shouts of excitement” ie having a laugh. It was an accident,the circumstances of which he lied about.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’m with you on that, pipsy.

donald
    Free Member

It doesn’t say he’s drunk.

No it doesn’t.

It does look likely though doesn’t it?

richpips
    Free Member

It does look likely though doesn’t it?

I’m guessing that if they knew the cyclist had drunk 4 cans of cider, then they would have known the same about the driver if he’d done likewise.

sq225917
    Free Member

72mph behind a GPX250 when I was a Uni, you don’t half slow down fast when you let go and the wind hits you.

speaker2animals

Amazing – if he’d hit a cyclist out riding his bike on a ride/commute he’d have been unlucky to lose his license.

Talk about the Law being an ass!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Driver jailed over bike-tow death (BBC News)’ is closed to new replies.