• This topic has 70 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Driver Convicted Of Killing Cyclist.
  • irc

There was a thread a year ago about a cyclist killed in Fife.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/another-cyclist-killed-this-time-in-fife

The driver convicted today of causing death by dangerous driving. Was using her phone at time of crash and deleted the call record afterwards.

Julie Watson, 36, deleted a record of the call and made a 999 call in a bid to summon emergency services after she collided with Alistair Speed.

The mother-of-two was found guilty of causing the death of Mr Speed, 49, on the A91 road between Strathmiglo and Gateside, in Fife, on September 5 in 2013 by dangerous driving.

She was also convicted of attempting to defeat the ends of justice by deleting a record of a call she made just before the 999 call.

Remanded in custody until sentence so appears to be getting the jail.

http://news.stv.tv/tayside/1322251-julie-watson-who-killed-alistair-speed-on-a91-in-fife-deleted-phone-call/

njee20
    Free Member

Good.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Good to hear.

Drac

Good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Progress

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll bid 6 months clinky and a 1 year ban.

scaredypants

death by dangerous driving is a bit more than that isn’t it – esp with aggravating factors like the lying and tampering with phone records ?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

4 years, no chance of HDC.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ll bid 6 months clinky and a 1 year ban.

Not in England,no idea about Scotland though?

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/s_to_u/sentencing_manual/death_by_dangerous_driving/

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’ll be bugger all for killing the guy and years for what she did to try and evade justice.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

It’s 2 yr ban as a minimum. It will be a Level 3 offence, with sentencing guidelines between 2 and 5 years. Sentencing for the offence of defeating the ends of justice will be on top but may run consecutively.

She’s going down for 3 years.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Is Scots law the same?

aracer
    Free Member

I’m just being excessively cynical. It looks like the minimum in E&W is 2 years clinky and a 2 year ban, presumably Scotland is the same or similar? I’m not expecting much more than the minimum though, whatever aggravating factors – the victim being a cyclist usually seems to be some sort of defence rather than the aggravating factor it should be (due to being a vulnerable road user).

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Wow. She’s 36, apparently.

Must have had a hard paper round.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

That’s just what they all look like up north…

bruneep

Hence why we shag sheep

chipster

Wow. She’s 36, apparently.

Must have had a hard paper milk round in Chernobyl.

Fify

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Hey hey! Leave the poor sheep out of it.

Least sheep get shaved I suppose. :d

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez, insulting a woman on the basis of looks?

Lets see your mugshots then.

What cliches you are.

toppers3933
    Free Member

No winners here. Riders family devastated. Drivers kids left motherless while she’s in clink.

devash
    Free Member

Must have had a hard paper round.

Spat my tea out reading that one. 😆

brooess
    Free Member

I’d like to see this case publicised more widely to make sure drivers know there are consequences…
    Deleting the phone record is despicable…

matt_outandabout

No winners here. Riders family devastated. Drivers kids left motherless while she’s in clink.

^this.

duckman

Its the attempt to avoid blame THEN the helping her victim bit.

One of these people that you hope that anyone you care about never encounters.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the real problem is the low value given to vulnerable road users , death on the road is peculiar, its almost as if its expected ,however so caused ,and penalties for being the guilty are depressingly lenient, –it infuriates me every day the amount of tossers i see talking on their phones, writing texts etc–instant ban is needed-no second chance , straight ban of six months-would soon see a change in behaviour -and penalties for the above type of case should be sterner…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I don’t think the jail sentences help. Should be long or life driving ban with mandatory jail time for driving when banned (and car being driven seized and destroyed – since unlikely to be in name of banned person and would discourage loan of car to banned drivers).

hora
    Free Member

Good.

irc

I don’t think the jail sentences help.

I disagree. She took a conscious decision to drive dangerously and as a result killed someone. Jail time is appropriate.

Using a phone is more dangerous than driving at the drink drive limit. The big question is why using a hand held mobile is 3pts and not an instant ban(hands free are almost as bad just not illegal).

Talking on a mobile phone while driving is more dangerous than being over the legal alcohol limit, according to research.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/1885775.stm

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think jail sentence is appropriate, a life has been taken.

D0NK

I don’t think the jail sentences help.

for “careless” driving possibly, for dangerous (which seems to be a pretty rare thing to be convicted of) it is and should imo be a deterrent to doing stupid dangerous things whist driving. Dangerous is wilfully doing something that will endanger other people, it’s not “a brief lapse of concentration”* so shouldn’t be treated as such.

E&W is 2 years clinky and a 2 year ban,

iirc normally served concurrently so back to driving on release.

*which seems to be the standard defence even when someone is being wilfully dangerous

MoreCashThanDash

Toppers and broess +1

There is no punishment that can bring the cyclist back, but drivers need to be deterred from being a dick

igm

Agreed. Nothing good here, no winners.

But jail is sadly probably appropriate for someone who acted as she seems to have.

aracer
    Free Member

iirc normally served concurrently so back to driving on release.

They may not have fixed this in Scotland, but IIRC in E&W the law was changed so you don’t serve a driving ban whilst locked up (ISTR there’s still something funny about it because release date isn’t fixed when you’re sent down due to parole and stuff, so setting the start date of the ban is awkward).

D0NK

but IIRC in E&W the law was changed

again iirc it was all agreed on but a bureaucratic **** up meant it wasn’t actually implemented

edit yeah here we go section 137 afaik still not implemented

GrahamS

It’s 2 yr ban as a minimum. It will be a Level 3 offence, with sentencing guidelines between 2 and 5 years.

Am I right in thinking these are usually concurrent?
    So she’ll basically be banned from driving while she is locked up? 😕

Like simons_nicolai-uk I’m not entirely convinced that jail sentences are a good deterrent in these cases, but I’ve never got my head around why we let these people EVER drive again?

They have demonstrated, with fatal consequences, that they cannot be trusted to safely operate a several ton machine at high speed.

Why do we give them another go in a year or two?

kcal

Oh dear. Some good and some petty comments here.

You do wish there was a way of undergoing community service as a paper round by bike, or some such, travelling along the same road she’d killed the poor fella. Not even going into the Bez theme of how mandatory licence for the cyclist would have helped one iota..

duckman

Two years means a year in Jail,possibly less and then release,again with an ankle support from the house of Windsor. So she will still be banned.

GrahamS

the Bez theme of how mandatory licence for the cyclist would have helped one iota..

This one?

Them and Theirs

I was coincidentally just reading that very article.

ThePinkster

Perhaps if she had thought of that before she did it this wouldn’t have happened.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Driver Convicted Of Killing Cyclist.’ is closed to new replies.