Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Driven off the road by a "cyclist"
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A new one for me!

Apparently he couldn’t be bothered waiting behind me as he couldnt wait to get to the queue of traffic waiting at the red light up ahead. So he just forced his way through (in his car)! “I’m a cyclist as well you know mate.” No you’re a bellend. Told him as much and cycled off.

Its on a 500 yard stretch of dual carriageway just near Greenodd (dunno whether anyone knows it). A roundabout is being installed so they split one side of the dual carriageway with cones down the middle, and traffic from both directions now travels up and down this.

Dunno what I could have done differntly, apparently he wanted me to cycle in the side of the road (otherwise known as the gutter) so he could get past. I think i really should have been more in the middle of the lane so he wouldnt have even considered forcing his way through.

What could I have done differently? Pulled in, let all the cars past and then overtaken them all again at the red light? Cycled more in the middle of the lane? Gone a different route? Fought him in hand to hand combat? Any other good suggestions?

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m a cyclist as well

= some of my best friends are black

Jamie
    Free Member

Any other good suggestions?

Keep up the good work.

scaredypants

you’ve written that all wrong – sounds like he overtook you

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

He did, he was in his car!

terrahawk
    Free Member

Ahhh got it now. I thought he was on a bike.

scaredypants

nah, I still don’t buy it – I’d have to abandon an entire belief system 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

He’d even wound his window down in preparation for a word!

cynic-al
    Free Member

What thomthumb said.

That said, I am frequently tempted to utter that when I drive.

Lifer
    Free Member

If I’m coming up to a queue of traffic I’ll take the middle of the lane, occasionally filter but if it’s moving I’m happy to wait/have a breather. If I’m moving at the same speed as the traffic I’ll usually be pretty central as well, fed up of people overtaking me just because I’m there.

winch
    Free Member

Did you not wobble about a bit to make him think you could fall in his path at any moment?

Junkyard
    Free Member

it means i have a bike somewhere i once rode

as lifer says take the lane to stop this

mattsccm
    Free Member

If circumstance (and supplies ) permit a big does of snot keeps people away. 😆

goyawave
    Free Member

Know it well, Mrs Goyawave grew up there but we haven’t been up since the roadworks started. Such a short dual carriageway with the crossing junction has always been the scene of almighty fookwittery! So same drivers, same stretch of road, different layout equals field day for bell ends!

+1 for moving toward the centre of the lane if I don’t think there is enough room to pass.

singletrackmind

Wobble around alot ( after making sure they are a few meters behind you ) , a few ‘S’ shaped swerves makes you look like an accident waiting to happen . Makes you appear bigger and more mobile than a skinny man riding arrow straight down the side of the road.

I think pointless overtakes on the run in to stationary traffic is the one thing that really makes me question drivers mentality. Surely they know you are going to filter to the head of the queue, and accelerating from a dead stop takes an awful lot more energy than maintaining a constant speed?

breadcrumb

“I’m a cyclist as well you know mate.”

This must be the new phrase for ****. A guy in a black Freelander cut me up so I signalled he likes to pleasure himself.
    He then stopped and said there was no need for hand gestures, he was a cyclist, my handlebars were too wide and the oncoming car was at fault for not slowing down.

I ranted a bit about giving space and he drove off.

WTF?

Clover

You’re handlebars were too wide???? 😯

breadcrumb

Yup, his exact words.

jwt
    Free Member

Should be fun if he’s out tomorrow, as there are 422 riders on the 50 mile Tour De Furness route that will be using that same stretch of road.

breadcrumb

Well I hope you all have narrow handlebars!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Driven off the road by a "cyclist"’ is closed to new replies.