Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Drivechain help
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

On my last couple of rides ive noticed that i get a very load buzz / whirrrr sound (like something is rubbing on the chain but it isnt) but only when i’m pushing hard like on a climb.

My mate claims my chain seems to be sticking to the bottom of my chainring rather than coming away in a straight line from the bottom of the ring. Not full on chainsuck but similar. Ive cleaned both chain and ring fully and re-lubed but this still happens.

As its a constant noise rather than off/on im ruling out a bent tooth etc.

Any ideas cos im now lost?

Cheers

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I’m assuming that you have a single narrow-wide style chainring? Is it new?

I had this problem for the first 100 or so miles with one of my chainrings, I think it was a superstar components one, it went away with a bit of use/ware

Yak

Or an old worn chainring. Especially n/w chainrings.

nairnster
    Free Member

Does it happen in every gear? On every climb or just on really hard efforts?

Nothing else flexing and rubbing as you apply power?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Hi,

yes its a narrow / wide single ring. On one to be exact. Had it about a year and a half but to ridden as often as many on here. But i have been hitting the grittier parts of the peaks a fair bit recently. So do you think its a worn chainring?

Blackflag
    Free Member

Yes its in every gear and pretty much as soon as i start climbing anything nairnster

Yak

Intermediate use for a year and a half will wear a narrow/wide to the point of noise I reckon.

malv173
    Free Member

I’m with Yak on this. Your chainring is worn. Experienced this myself very recently after building a new bike up. Changed cassette and chain but not chainring. It was doing exactly what yours is. New chainring solved the problem.

Blackflag
    Free Member

On the strength of the singletrack hive mind i have just ordered a new absolute black narrow wide oval chainring. Thanks everyone.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Had it about a year and a half but to ridden as often as many on here.

If i read that right, it’s now less used than when new?

markshires
    Free Member

Have a quick check, that the chain is the right way around the tab on the rear mech.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Drivechain help’ is closed to new replies.