Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • drivechain for roadie
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

my 105 5700 rings and cassette/chain have finally worn out……

any suggestions for decent compatible chainrings etc or should I replace like for like…I think i’ll upgrade chain and cassette to ultegra and KMC

and any other roadie sites to buy them…
    have checked wiggle/crc/merlin

mboy
    Free Member

In my experience, Shimano rings tend to last longer than anything else, so just replace like for like.

Again like for like on the cassette.

I always use KMC chains though, find they last longer than Shimano or SRAM and the quick link is better than SRAM’s use once affair, or Shimano’s dedicated pin.

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

Ultegra chains and cassettes are a worthwhile upgrade – they don’t cost the earth and they save a fair bit of weight.

It’s often cheaper to get a full chainset as you get a bottom bracket too, the shops you mention will be your best bet but Ribble might be worth a look too.

carlphillips
    Free Member

thought so…cheers!

total geek when it comes to mtb stuff, but I know next to nowt when it comes to the roadie..it just gets ridden washed and forgot about as nothing ever goes wrong!

philjunior
    Free Member

It’s often cheaper to get a full chainset as you get a bottom bracket too, the shops you mention will be your best bet but Ribble might be worth a look too.

Not necessarily. I replaced everything recently, and most chainsets didn’t include BB (contrary to relatively recent MTB purchases). I was pleased that the 105/Ultegra BB was cheaper than the Tiagra on the site I used…

globalti
    Free Member

I haven’t checked but High on Bikes and Winstaneys are also worth a gliff.

akira

Shimano mtb chainset usually come with bb but their road ones don’t. If you have 11 speed compatible wheels then 11 speed 105 is excellent.

dovebiker

Decent chainrings from TA – hardened alloy last longer than stock Shimano IME. Ultegra cassette is lighter, shinier but don’t expect it to last longer. KMC X-series chains with gold ti-Nitride finish run smooth and wear well if you keep them clean/lubed

tod456
    Free Member

What else needs replacing 5700 is a bit old now ? Cables, Jokey Wheels… the list will go on… what does that come to?

5800 groupsets are £270, i’m sure you can off load the old groupset as “spares” for about £50 and you find you won’t have spent much more.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Out of interest, do you know roughly how many cassettes you’ve got through on those chain rings?

cyclingweakly
    Free Member

On sale at Merlin… No BB unfortunately…

carlphillips
    Free Member

pleader, all original. didn’t check chain until too late so left it all to wear out at same rate…

@tod yes new cables and jockey wheels too….
    it will start to add up…

hmm wonder if my hub is 11sp compatible…..new shiny stuff is ace!

carlphillips
    Free Member

Dont think my hub is 11 speed compatible…boo

tod456
    Free Member

new wheels too …. yah!

lodger

Just been through this. I replaced a 5700 chainset wtih a 5800 from wiggle. Its eleven speed but no problem with 10sp drive train, cheaper than 5700 and much better looking, stiffer etc. The internet recommended i use an 11sp chain and this has been absolutely fine with 10sp cassette

If you do want to get a whole groupset, you can keep the wheels, just take out one of the cogs – either the 13 or 14t – and put the spacer on the freehub first. Same width as 10sp cassette, but right spacing for 11sp shifters.

Haze

TA

Have these on my turbo/winter bike, lasting very well indeed.

Think I may have a brand new set of 5700 rings at home doing nothing, probably 50/34…can check later if you’re interested?

carlphillips
    Free Member

@lodger thanks for the info

@Haze yes mate I’d be interested if I go for just changing rings etc….bung me an email to discuss if you like…

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

pleader, all original. didn’t check chain until too late so left it all to wear out at same rate…

Hasn’t your chain been slipping for ages then? I tend to wear my chain and cassettes out together, and change them when they start slipping after 2000-3000km, and I haven’t yet needed to replace chain rings on bikes that are on their third cassette. Can’t imagine there would be any chain left by the time it had worn out a set of chain rings.

carlphillips
    Free Member

is slipping pretty badly now! so though it best just to replace the lot in oone go as they are looking fairly shark toothy now

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I would be surprised if replacing the chain rings was really necessary, when I was wondering whether to replace mine recently general consensus seemed to be 15,000-25,000km on a set of chain rings, mine had only done about 8000km, looked a bit shark toothed, but I think that’s just tooth shaping to help shifting, so I just changed cassette and chain and it’s all working fine.

Might be worth trying just a new chain and cassette before you spend a load on new rings, unless you’ve been doing some mega mileage?

carlphillips
    Free Member

theyve been for 3 years now 😳

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘drivechain for roadie’ is closed to new replies.