Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Drive train weights – XT / XTR / XX1
  • charliemort

Has anyone done the sums? I’ve seen a few things that would suggest XX1 is a few pounds lighter than XT (eg Santa Cruz Bike Builder thingy) but I doubt there’s that much in it

So anyone got drivetrain weights for XT double / XTR double / XX1?

thanks

alexdodd
    Free Member

I know the difference between the SLX and XT chainset is about 4 grams at best! I think the last time I actually weighed them. I haven’t spent the $$$ on anything higher up the range to definitively divulge anymore…

Superficial
    Free Member

Surely a fair test is XTR 1×10?

XTR 1×10 with a top guide is significantly lighter than 2×10.

njee20
    Free Member

Surely a fair test is XTR 1×10?

Why? That’s a far narrower range than XX1, and is a bodge really anyway.

XX1 is more akin to 2×10 XTR.

There’s definitely less than ‘a few pounds’ in it, XX1 is about 200g lighter than XX, which itself is slightly lighter than XTR. XT a little more, about a pound difference there, and your wallet will be far lighter.

charliemort

why?

I’m interested in how much lighter XX1 is vs XTR double – personally I wouldn’t run 1 x 10 (although I know a lot of people do).

jonxmack
    Free Member

I was looking for the weight of the XX1 GXP crankset yesterday and in the process stumbled upon this

http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/xx1-weight-savings-versus-xt-840453.html

But there’s also a dude here

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/xx1-mini-review-weights-xtr-weights-race-face-next-crank-weight-829557.html

Who has done a few comparisons.

njee20
    Free Member

Not why to you Charliemort, totally understand the question, why was to superficial who said the comparator was 1×19 XTR.

Superficial
    Free Member

Because 1×11 is obviously going to be lighter than 2×10. And if you’re THAT worried about weight then you’re probably already running 1×10 anyway.

I’m not sure why 1×10 is a bodge, either.

Clearly there are a lot of things I don’t quite understand.

njee20
    Free Member

Because 1×10 XTR doesn’t formally exist, you can merely convert it. But it’s more of a compromise than XX1.

charliemort

njee – yes, realise that! think we posted about the same time, my why was to superficial also. Didn’t realise 1 x 19 was out yet though!

yes I know XX1 would be lighter – question was how much. Looks like about 1 1/2 lbs lighter than XT double (which I currently have) or 1/2 lb lighter that XTR double

JCL
    Free Member

But with XX1 you don’t need a guide. You don’t have to faf with front shifting and you can put the Reverb remote under the bar in the front shifter position. After you’ve ridden a bike with that set-up it’s like going back to the dark ages using a 2×10 etc.

njee20
    Free Member

njee – yes, realise that! think we posted about the same time, my why was to superficial also. Didn’t realise 1 x 19 was out yet though!

😆 yep, that’s how things move now.

boxfish
    Free Member

After you’ve ridden a bike with that set-up it’s like going back to the dark ages using a 2×10

Not so sure myself. History is usually written by the victors, and the battle for our drivetrains is still ongoing.

njee20
    Free Member

I think for some riders there’s still place for 2×10 or similar. There’s room for both IMO, certainly don’t think we’ll see 1×11 drivetrains on all bikes any time soon.

boxfish
    Free Member

I was always a 3×9 rider but after my dream build was nicked, I decided to give 1×10 a go. I am a convert. I do occasionally miss the extreme high/low gearing but I’ll happily trade that for a complete lack of chain suck. Clutch mech & top guide also mean no dropped chain so far either.

Paceman
    Free Member

I run 2×9 on my main trail bike, and 1×9 with a top guide on my winter hack hardtail. Works for me, although I suspect i’ll go 1×10 or 1×11 on both when they wear out and the prices come down.

cookeaa

TBH I’m increasingly tempted by the features offered by XX1 including it’s weight, but the cost is still enough of a deterent, the “halfway house 1 x 10 solutions: XX “Style” aftermarket rings and modified 10 speed 11-41t Cassettes, etc hold some promise and I think are an indication of the “proper” products that will be coming out over the next 24 months.

Of course proper weight weenies never “just” but a whole groupset, there’s always grams to be saved by chucking more money at aftermarket trickery or removing an unused ring or sprocket…

I’m waiting for the day when 7 speed makes a formal comeback as the “Super-light” solution by getting rid of ~30% of the Cassette mass and then we’re basically back to about gearing we all had in 1991…

As it is I’m still sticking with (heavier) SLX – 2×9 until something that functions/weighs more like the current XX1/X01 can be had for something like current XT money… probably a way off yet…

What I’d realy love too, is to see Campag get back into the MTB drivetrain market, I doubt I’d actually buy their products but having 3 main players in the market might precipitate some faster and more innovative product developments… This 2 horse SRAM Vs Shimano race is a bit dull and slow at times TBH…

PJM1974
    Free Member

Has anyone done the sums? I’ve seen a few things that would suggest XX1 is a few pounds lighter than XT (eg Santa Cruz Bike Builder thingy) but I doubt there’s that much in it

I’d be highly skeptical that it’s THAT much. Given the cost of XX1 and the price of cassettes you’re going to throw an awful lot of money at something in order to chase a few grammes. If you discount one shifter (circa 132g) the front mech (120g) and a chainring (33g) you’re nudging half a pound, but then you need to remember that you’re going to fit a larger cassette (XX1 40T vs XX 36T) and sooner or later you may well opt for the belt and braces approach of a chain guide anyway (circa 50g – 100g) then you’re saving less than half a pound at the cost of a new drivetrain, £300 a throw cassettes, a new rear freehub etc.

Surely it would be a cheaper option to try adapting an XT/XTR 1×10 setup to see how you get on with it first?

slinkybike
    Free Member

I was under the impression that xx1 was the same weight as xx.

charliemort

jeepers – never said i was going to buy XX1 – just curious.

Santa Cruz bike builder no longer has full build weights so I suspect it was wrong anyway!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Drive train weights – XT / XTR / XX1’ is closed to new replies.