Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Drive surface options
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

MrsWCA has decided the Tarmac drive looks a mess as it is slightly uneven and has weeds growing through at the edges.

I suggested weed killer
    She suggested replacing if all with an imprinted concrete drive.

My parents had one of the imprinted concrete drives put in about 15 years ago and it still looks okay. Dark cobble effect doesn’t look to bad either. The price for doing my drive is scary though.

The drive is about four car lengths from the gate to the garage and she wants the 12foot path to the front door done at the same time. All currently Tarmac surfaced.

What suggestions from you lot for getting a beautiful looking drive and path without having to sell the house to pay for it?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Firstly you need to look at where the rain water run off is going – if its off your land i.e. onto the road then you need to look at a permeable solution or apply for planning permission (which is unlikely to be granted).

iolo
    Free Member

The catchment area will be no different an unless the OP is considering drastically altering the levels what difference should that make? Reinstate all the drainage in the same location (gullys, dish channels, whatever) and the water will simply discharge as before.
    There is no additional water being introduced and the existing surface is impermeable.
    That’s my thinking anyhow. Don’t quote me 😉

wwaswas

With your history I’d put ‘non-slip’ at the top of the list of attributes you’re looking for 🙂

40mpg

Park more cars over it

😀

mikey74
    Free Member

iolo is correct. If you are increasing the area of hard-standing i.e. producing more surface run-off, then you will need to deal with it. Otherwise, you aren’t making the existing any worse.

40mpg

or

iolo
    Free Member

http://www.ennisflint.co.uk/products/products/decorative-surfacing-/prismo-stonegrip

there you go OP. Quick and zero aggro. I’m sure if you ask them they could do all kinds of colours.

wwaswas

iolo – what sort of price per sq metre does that come in at – do you know?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Planning portal would disagree – it refers to new or replacement driveways.

iolo
    Free Member

For domestic, I have absolutely no idea. I’m sure its cheaper than a new surface.

iolo
    Free Member

What about driveway repairs?

wwaswas

ok, ta.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you start with a new patio then you wouldnt have to worry about the drive. If you know what I mean….

willjones
    Free Member

I was quoted £45/sqm for resin bonded onto existing printed concrete driveway plus any groundworks up here in Leeds (that’s for a decent job – apparently there are some corners that people can cut on the prep side to bring cost down, but this impacts on longevity). I thought this was reasonable, but not being the most spatially aware, we were caught out by the size of our drive, so didn’t proceed.

40mpg

Resin bound gravel won’t provide a regulating course and won’t stop existing weeds coming up through. Its similar to tarmac in that its graded stone in a binder – just a clear binder and decorative stone.

You’ll need to cut out any irregularities in the existing paving, top up sub-base and put a new base course in before the RBG. The only way to stop weeds is to put down a Terram type membrane, but this needs to go down below the base course over the whole area, requiring removal and reinstatement of the complete drive. Otherwise you’ll still have to treat any weeds as they appear (it will take a bit longer for them to get through the new dressing).

mikey74
    Free Member

Oop, yep: You’re right. Sorry, I haven’t done one of these for a while.

iolo
    Free Member

me too

T1000
    Free Member

Treat with weed killer + moss killer

Fix edges + patch any damage then have a new layer of Tarmac applied or a top dressing or even us some drive paint

Fraction of the cost of any other option

You could always replace a strip of it with a block paving path

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

What suggestions from you lot for getting a beautiful looking drive and path

Don’t have a concrete drive. They look cack!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Concrete drives are all well and good until you have any drainage or service issues that can’t be remedied from above. It looks shit if you have to patch sections.
    As far as stopping weeds even terram can’t stop them from growing round the edges. Regular maintenance with decent weedkiller is the best option.
    Putting a further later of wearing course bitmac etc is an option but not possible in all cases due to increase of levels at current edgings or dpc.
    Regardless of what the planning portal says I can’t see how replacing like for like will increase run off.
    Plenty of decent block paving options available, have a look at the latest Bradstone catalogue.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Drive surface options’ is closed to new replies.