Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Drive shaft play
  • funkynick

Okay hive mind…

I have a nice wobble going on with the car at around 60mph… classic Honda drive shaft issue.

So, I’ve got the wheels off and on inspecting the drive shafts I can visibly wobble the inner CV joint cup. I’m guessing that there is some play in the splined coupling.

So, should there be play here? My thinking is that the splined joint should actually be reasonably tight.

If there shouldn’t be any play, and I replace the drive shaft, any guesses as whether I will need to replace the other half of the joint? Obviously, I’d rather not as that bit is in the gearbox!!!

Ta…

scotroutes

trail_rat
    Free Member

Which bit you think has play ?

If it wobbling id expect the inner race to outer race to have play in rather than the splines them selves, spline play is usually rotational.

funkynick

scotroutes…

Nope… you’ve lost me there!

funkynick

It’s the splined shaft on the end of the housing, which connects into the gearbox… I can grab the housing in that image and wobble it up and down…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ill go take a photo of inside of one for you.

As i said its unlikely to be the splined bit that has gone if the latteral play as you describe so unlikely to have wrecked your half shaft.

Its likely to be worn out bearings/housing.

Dependant on design how ever it might be a good idea to drop your gear box oil out and change the gear box seal while your there (taking half shaft out) as its normal for them to move (if the standard design is used ) and nip the seal when removing cvs.

funkynick

I don’t think it’s actually inside the CV, although I am not ruling out a problem there either!

If I hold the shaft in one hand and the inner CV housing in the other, there is very little play between these.

But if I just grab the housing, I can move this side-side/up-down with respect from the gearbox.

Will certainly be draining off the gearbox oil before taking the shaft out, just trying to understand if I am likely to have bigger issues…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Ok i dont understand quite what you have play in then . Ive never done them on hondas. Vw , nissans fords and frenchies but never a honda.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Drive shaft play’ is closed to new replies.