Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • drive and ride commute! advice sought
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

I have recently moved stores that I manage and am now travelling to salisbury everyday from camberley.

Someone replied to a post on here saying they drive most of the way then ride the last few miles which is a great idea.

But I need advice on where to park. Problem is my route is down the a343 and a30 where the only housing estates are areas where each house has a pool (google maps) and dont really want to start causing aggro by leaving my car, but also want to leave my car somewhere relatively safe.

Any ideas would be greatly rdceived.
    Cheers
    Ash

tthew

I use the park and ride at the next nearest big town. Charge is for the bus trip, so the park bit is free. Camberley to Salisbury though, wow, that’s going to take a long time to drive direct, never mind adding to that by dicking around with a bike commute on top.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

It takes just over and hour, but my thought process is, that I’m getting back home too late to go out on the bike most days. So this is an ideal way of getting in some regular cycling.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tthew

OK, while I’m in helpful mode, Stonehenge has a car park that’s free to English Heritage members. Don’t know how much an annual ticket is but may work out cheap/day if you do it enough. 10 miles shortest route.

Do you work shifts that start and end outside rush hours? I’d be surprised if you can do about 60 miles on those roads in just over an hour

tthew

I just realised I sound like I’m trying to piss on your chips above. You go for it dude, more power to you. Also, perhaps an out of town shopping park might have an unpatrolled car park, or large villages may have shops with no charges.

stumpy01

I used to do this on my 60 mile commute, driving most of the way and cycling the final 12 miles or so.
    I was lucky in that I was familiar with the village I parked in (Used to go out with a girl who lived there) and it just so happened to be an ideal commute distance with a suitable route.

My rationale was the same as yours; yes, it added time to the journey, but meant that I got some miles in during the week. It was easy enough on the way home to extend the ride too.

I can’t really help with parking location; perhaps look on Google Maps for a suitable industrial estate that will be empty when you get there, but probably fill with cars during the day. That, or a Park & Ride as suggested.

Preparation is the key to it working. I used to find that any excuse to get out of it and I would take it at 6 in the morning.
    Making sure literally everything was ready to go, meant I was more likely to crawl out of bed.

connect2

My commute is 26 miles. I park on a side street at the edge of town and cycle the last 4. Work is uphill and takes 5-10 minutes longer than driving in the morning but downhill going home makes it the same time, apart from the nights where there’s a hold up and traffic’s at a standstill. There’s no greater satisfaction than zipping through the queues on a bike! 😀

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Generally yes I get there before rush hour. Although my route is down the a343 which seems like a crappy road to cycle on.
    Looked on Google maps and the 343 goes through the middle of fields all the way. Was thinking of 4 miles but doesn’t seem far enough!

pirahna
    Free Member

I used to park on a industrial estate 20 miles from work and cycle from there. I got so fed up with car drivers I went back to driving the whole way and using a spin bike in the gym every morning.

thomthumb
    Free Member

park at stock bridge down. drop in s’bridge then go houghton, the common, winterslow: 30 km

or park at winterslow/ the common to halve that distance.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Do you know the area? Youthink it’s ok to just leave my car? Don’t want to annoy residents.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i ride through there a lot. if your worried ask in the shop or the pub. the staff in the pub are nice.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘drive and ride commute! advice sought’ is closed to new replies.