Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?
  • teethgrinder

Out on the pop in Glasgow tomorrow night. Me (Geordie) and Cockney mate.
    Can anyone recommend pubs and bars near the station etc?

First time on Glasgow, so it’s all new!

Getting there about 3pm I think and I’ll have had a few alcopops on the train on the way up.

piemonster

yes. you will die

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Are you mad? Turn back now!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?

You will die, thats certain.

Torminalis
    Free Member

If you do fail to die, you’ll wish you had.

teethgrinder

Ninja edit
    ..it’s tomorrow night.

If it’s death, then at least it’ll be liquid-fueled!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Just me that loves a night out in Glasgow then… Been out there 4 or 5 times never had any grief. Don’t know where I have been though as it has always with locals.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Horseshoe.

But depends what sort of bar you want.

Out of interest why do you think Glasgow is any different from any large city?

teethgrinder

Because I’m a Northumbrian hick who hasn’t been to many bbig cities, especially with a cockney.

peterfile
    Free Member

You’ll definitely die.

Glasgow is one of the scummiest, hardest, most depressing cities in the UK. Its inhabitants are unfriendly and, for the most part, stupid knuckle draggers. I’m surprised you’re even considering it.

I wouldn’t even bother getting off the train. It truly is hell.

If you do, I would suggest a wander down Merchant City rather than hanging around the station area, much more civilised 🙂

lazybike
    Free Member

You’ll be ok…the cockney will not 🙂

I spent a week up there when I was 18…thankfully a local guy took pity on me and kept me out of trouble…

glupton1976
    Free Member

Horrible place full of horrible people. Drum and monkey near central station is a good pub though.

allthepies
    Free Member

Let your cockney mate know that it’s traditional to greet the natives with some simulated flute playing.

As demonstrated by Gazza quite a few years back

debaser

The Pot Still on Hope Street has a fantastic single malt selection and decent beers too.

Quite like the Republic Beer Hall on Gordon Street. Steins of tasty beer and does a pretty good pizza too.

Favourite pub in Glasgow is the Laurieston on Bridge Street. On the outside it looks like you will die, but inside it is fantastic. Friendly staff and locals with Red X and proper 80 shilling on draught. Well worth a visit.

drslow
    Free Member

City centre, Merchant city and Ashton Lane (short tube ride away) are all close. What type of establishment do you fancy?

lilchris
    Free Member

I’ll have had a few alcopops

You’ll be doomed from the outset.

BoardinBob

Around the station is a bit grim and most pubs are best avoided however I like

http://www.macsorleys.com/

http://www.navantaverns.com/lab/index.html

http://www.sloansglasgow.com/

ransos
    Free Member

Simple rules for drinking: avoid any pub with a flat roof and/ or a “Help For Heroes” banner.

yetidave
    Free Member

dissasociate yourself with the cockney at the first sign of trouble – then you’ll be fine.

Merchant city, or Byres Road in the west end. Don’t wander, don’t get lost, keep money for taxi out of wallet so when thats stollen you can still get back to the hotel, don’t take late bus – its a great night out.

staralfur
    Free Member

My old man was in the infamous Glaswegian a number of years back. Standing at the bar and his mate just crumpled to the floor. One of the locals had thrown a full and unopened can of beer at him.

Strangers are bad mmmkay.

MrSmith
    Free Member

A couple of years ago 2 friends went for a drink in central Glasgow while working up there, one of them is Asian .
    “what can e git yu”
    ” a double talisker please”
    “and for yur black friend?”

Lovely place, lovely people.

peterfile
    Free Member

My old man was in the infamous Glaswegian a number of years back. Standing at the bar and his mate just crumpled to the floor. One of the locals had thrown a full and unopened can of beer at him.

Strangers are bad mmmkay.

I’ve been to Glasgow five times, so I’m pretty well placed to comment on the place. It’s crazy – I once saw two guys who had been drinking all day start a fight!!!

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve been to Glasgow five times, so I’m pretty well placed to comment on the place. It’s crazy – I once saw two guys who had been drinking all day start a fight!!!

I’ve been there about the same number of times. Never had any trouble.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve been there about the same number of times. Never had any trouble.

Seriously? I was amazed at how bad it was, even worse than its reputation!

I’ve never felt so scared in my life.

Fortunately, the locals are quite easy to spot and avoid.

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re right, we’re all the same, every one of us is racist scum 🙄

You’re nearly Scottish so you’ll be all right, best not bring the cockney.

BoardinBob

A couple of years ago 2 friends went for a drink in central Glasgow while working up there, one of them is Asian .
    “what can e git yu”
    ” a double talisker please”
    “and for yur black friend?”

That never happened

ransos
    Free Member

Seriously. Went in to plenty of pubs too.

peterfile
    Free Member

Seriously. Went in to plenty of pubs too.

You must have been lucky then. I’ve heard a number of stories about English people being robbed at knifepoint when leaving city centre pubs. Apparently the locals don’t take to kindly to people from more civilised parts of the kingdom 🙁

freeagent
    Free Member

Glasgow is mental – just like the Wild West – I’ve been a regular visitor (for work) for the last 6 years.
    I do kind of love it, and have never had a bad meal or a bad night out (had a few mental ones though!)

ransos
    Free Member

You must have been lucky then.

Or maybe you were unlucky.

I even had some good banter with the locals in an off-licence – about England’s prospects in whichever tournament we were about to enter.

irc

City centre is mostly fine with a modicum of common sense. Stay on main streets and avoid shortcuts through alleys or the riverside walk at night etc. My teenage daughter and friend got robbed at knifepont beside the river about 10pm having ignored her father’s boring advice about where not to go.

Peripheral areas vary. A friend of mine was born and bred in Maryhill and never in his life visted the pub 200 yards from his house choosing the safer ones in Maryhill Road. Any yes that pub fitted the flat roof category!

vintagewino
    Free Member

Diamond Dolls is pretty close to the station

ojom
    Free Member

If there are flags waving outside AND/OR football colours, do not enter. Keep walking.

Also, if there are empty seats in a busy pub, do not sit in them. They probably ‘belong’ to an old boy called radge Boabie and he will smash you in with a stick yet be at least 84 years of age and partially blind and almost completely deaf. He will also be able to not pay for drinks. The bar man probably owes him for something that happened back in ’65.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I lived there for 24 years, went in pretty much ANY pub in Glasgow and ordered with an english accent. Never any grief.
    Mind you I am 6’5″ (with long hair, leather jacketand DMs etc at the time). 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that lager could be deep fried.

tomd
    Free Member

Where do you live Perfile that makes Glasgow seem like such a ghastly place?

Glasgow is fine, it’s a big city so has all sorts but also has one of the best cultural scenes and night life in the UK. For the OP – you’ll be fine. If you want nice bars walk the 15 mins from the station down to the Merchant City.

As for people implying that Glasgow is some racist backwater, also not true. Large parts of the city are very enthnically diverse, and better integrated than many other places in the UK that I have experienced. It’s the thrid biggest urban centre in the UK, so has much more to offer than most places. There are also lots of hills and riding nearby!

ojom
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that lager could be deep fried

Loving your work.

peterfile
    Free Member

Where do you live Perfile that makes Glasgow seem like such a ghastly place?

Park Circus.

🙂

teethgrinder

Sounds like I’m in for an ‘interesting’ night then!

What is the quality of the kebabs?

richmtb

I wasn’t aware that lager could be deep fried.

See that’s quite funny

I’ve never felt so scared in my life.

Fortunately, the locals are quite easy to spot and avoid.

This however to use Scottish vernacular is a lotta pish.

Glasgow is the third largest city in the UK so it has its good points and bad points, its nice areas and its scummy areas. It has a huge student population so none of the locals will be put off by an English accent.

Avoid pubs around Central Station though they are a bit scummy, try Ashton Lane, the Merchant City or Bath Street for a good night out

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Drinking in Glasgow – Will I Die?’ is closed to new replies.