Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • drilling frame for stealth dropper, failures?
  • pondy
    Free Member

plan to drill my old hemlock frame for a stealth dropper,my only concern is longevity of drilling a hole in the frame. a search comes up with lots od how too’s etc, no one has s ever mentioned of frames cracking which i can see, which must be a good thing, i dont really want my frame to crack after doing this mod, has anyone ever had an issue after?

monkeyboyjc

Low risk area to drill and very low risk of cracking or breaking as a result – Some manufacturers (non mainstream) even have a how too on there websites on how to drill there older frames.

Oh and yes I’ve done mine.

monkeyboyjc

Low risk area to drill and very low risk of cracking or breaking as a result – Some manufacturers (non mainstream) even have a how too on there websites on how to drill there older frames.

I’ve not seen a single Internet post of someones frame failing due to a correctly done home drilling for a stealth dropper.

Oh and yes I’ve done mine.

kayla1
    Free Member

I drilled OH’s old Commie Meta 4X and it hasn’t broken. Yet… 😆

kayak23

Done it on 2 steel frames. Not a sausage.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve drilled a sausage for a dropper post so it seems we have most bases covered now.

schmiken

Did it on my Inbred, no issues.

Saccades
    Free Member

Drilled my carbon frame in the downtube and it’s fine ~3 years later.

And the fork is too long and I’m a fat knacker.

luket

Have been considering drilling my Hemlock too. I’d love to get a post in with more drop but with short legs my options are limited to stealth ones.

There’s a little info on here re drilling a Hemlock but I haven’t seen any pics. Could you link to whatever you’ve seen on the subject?

pondy
    Free Member

another hemlock rider! I’ve a picture of a member bike with stealth routing, is the email address in your profile correct,. cc? ill send it over if so. this member had no issues with it

i also emailed cy, he said it wouldn’t be an issue but steel frames is a no and needs reinforcement. he stated to drill an 8mm hole 100mm above the center of the bb

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Drilling the Hemlock should be very similar to drilling a Turner. Stay away from welds and don’t go too close to the BB area:

http://forums.mtbr.com/turner/stealth-mod-drilling-holes-your-alloy-frame-917427.html

luket

Thanks. Most kind. That email address is right.

I had been thinking it may be easier and make for nicer cable routing to drill slightly to the non-drive side. But it sounds like maybe this is weaker.

I have my eyes on the Bikeyoke Revolve seat post. 160mm of drop in a remarkable short saddle to collar measurement. Pricey though so I was waiting to see whether one of my Reverbs develops more up-down play so I could at least have the excuse of avoiding a necessary service cost by replacing it.

Northwind

pondy – Member

another hemlock rider! I’ve a picture of a member bike with stealth routing, is the email address in your profile correct,. cc? ill send it over if so. this member had no issues with it

Probably me 🙂 Orange one?

luket

Looks lovely your orange one…

Where did you get the rubber cable grommet from, Northwind?

mucker

Or, what about the Magura Vyron wireless dropper, got one on my Mk1 Switchback and love it.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

drilled my bandit 29er…. still not died.

poah
    Free Member

KS lev DX or fox transfer external then you don’t have to drill or have a moving cable

Northwind

luket – Member

Where did you get the rubber cable grommet from, Northwind?

It’s actually just a plastic external one glued on, I just got it from ebay- I didn’t want a push-fitting rubber grommet as you need a bigger hole and I figure you want the hole as small and neat as possible.

Stevet1
    Free Member

😯

poah
    Free Member

I figure you want the hole as small and neat as possible

yeah but three kids later ……

Saccades
    Free Member

Stevet1 – Member

And first trial of Photobucket replacement…

[/url][/img]

JackHammer

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but are people using thing like these to protect frames/cables when they’ve drilled holes in frames?

I’m wondering if sugru would be better?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Yep – I got some in Halfords. They were a total sh*t to fit though.

JackHammer

Were they in the bikehut bit or the wall of car spares?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Car – in the electrical bits section.

JackHammer

Thank you, will pop there this evening.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘drilling frame for stealth dropper, failures?’ is closed to new replies.